Profile for Phelix > Reviews

Content by Phelix

Phelix "pEacE OuT x X x" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Daniel Knox [VINYL]
Daniel Knox [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely vinyl pressing!, 26 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Daniel Knox [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Superb offering from Mr. Knox, although not quite as strong as his last, the very highly rated Evryman for Himself. Atmosphere oozes from every track, a result of walking around the city late at night, taking photographs of the things that go unnoticed during the day. A favourite album of mine from 2015. The packaging is good, although the lyrics are noticeably absent.

A worthy addition to my growing collection!

The Day Is My Enemy [VINYL]
The Day Is My Enemy [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars A very strong offering from The Prodigy! (Vinyl POV), 26 Jun. 2015
Although the overall sound hasn't changed much over the past two decades, The Prodigy have always offered solid, fist pumping tunes, admittedly with varying degrees of success. Always Outnumbered wasn't a BAD album, it was just wasn't the follow up to Fat of the Land that people expected. I bought the vinyl version of this album. Sadly, my copy jumps quite badly at the end of 'Ibiza' and has some heavy scratches on side three. Also, the centre holes on both vinyls were very small, so much so that they wouldn't fit on my turntable without making the holes bigger with a screwdriver. Overall, the packaging is very nice and in keeping with the cover art, glossy inner bags and custom labels. Despite my grievances with my pressing, the sound is fantastic, the beats jumping from the speaker with an attitude that LH seems to project through electronic music. So, a fine, in form album. A band at the top of their game. FOUR STARS as my vinyl copy has many faults.

Retro Set 0f 3 Classic 50's/60's Style Tea, Coffee & Sugar Canisters /Jars
Retro Set 0f 3 Classic 50's/60's Style Tea, Coffee & Sugar Canisters /Jars
Offered by Top Star

3.0 out of 5 stars Look the part but..., 26 Jun. 2015
These look fantastic but are let down by the loose fitting lid and poor plastic seal. Am replacing these after only three month. Very disappointing as they look great!

Strange Frontier (Red) (Cvnl) [VINYL]
Strange Frontier (Red) (Cvnl) [VINYL]

3.0 out of 5 stars A far from perfect vinyl release!, 4 Jun. 2015
I got this along with Fun In Space on vinyl. I bought this from another online retailer and sent it back as I thought I had a defective copy, but... Read on!

Strange Frontier has some of Roger's strongest songs on it, which suffer from some nasty '80s production values. However, this isn't a review of the album itself, rather the vinyl reissue. The sleeve looks great (a lot of reissues suffer from poorly reproduced artwork), the inner sleeve has all of the lyrics on it which is nice! So far, an authentic reproduction! This edition is on transparant red vinyl and it looks amazing! Unfortunately, this package is totally let down by the playback. As soon as I started playing it, the level of surface noise was unbelievable. It was noticeable the whole way through side one. It was constant. Side two fared better but was still pretty prominent. I then played Fun In Space. while not perfect, it was a lot better than this. I have bought several reissues lately and the all seem to have some kind of unexpected surface noise. I can assure you that it isn't my equipment, I am playing the wonderful Ben Folds album 'The Best Imitation of Myself' as I type these words and it sounds glorious. I buy on average 10-20 records a month, some new, some pre-owned. My 30 year old copy of this album, with it's pops and clicks, acquired through lots of playbacks and a fair bit of neglect sounds superior to this reissue. I don't know if this vinyl is pressed from the original masters of if it has been remastered and therefore pressed using new plates but there is definitely something amiss with these pressings.

Girlfriend [VINYL]
Girlfriend [VINYL]
Offered by Hausmusik

4.0 out of 5 stars Four stars for a five star album!, 30 May 2015
This review is from: Girlfriend [VINYL] (Vinyl)
What is clear from other reviews is that this isn't a top grade re-release. There is nothing wrong with the appearance of the cover, the insert and the vinyl although I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a lyric sheet. The original Girlfriend album is Matthew's career highlight and deserves more respect than is given on this pressing, which brings me to the playback of the record itself. The recording is very quiet so it requires you to turn the volume up, (I have to play at 70 on my amp where others usually play at 55-60... 'Don't be afraid to play it loud' it says on the CD version, but not on this release, strange when you consider that all other text has been reproduced fully! The sound is nice and bright, interesting placement of the instruments, very much a 'stereo' album. It's during the quieter sections and between tracks that there is a constant level of surface noise that just shouldn't be there! As far as I can tell, this pressing is cut from the original master plates. While others complain of 'missing songs', this is a faithful reproduction of the standard album. The three other songs should really be looked at as bonus songs for the CD version. However, I feel that there has been a missed opportunity to expand this release to a double vinyl with all tracks catered for and the remasters used. I'm assuming that to keep costs down it was decided to keep this as basic as possible. I felt inclined to score this a three for the reasons listed above but it isn't all THAT bad! A real shame this didn't get the treatment it deserved, but I am at least thankful that I own this on vinyl now.

Vic Firth 5B American Hickory Wood Tip Drumstick
Vic Firth 5B American Hickory Wood Tip Drumstick

4.0 out of 5 stars Wooden hitty things..., 24 April 2015
Nicely weighted and solid. Durable and ideal for practice.

Le Creuset Stoneware Mug, 350 ml - Teal
Le Creuset Stoneware Mug, 350 ml - Teal

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality!, 24 April 2015
Good colours and overall finish. I bought six different 'vibrant' colours which look great as a set. Pricey but fantastic quality. Made to last. Gradient colour is a nice touch!

Education, Education, Education & War [VINYL]
Education, Education, Education & War [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl heaven!, 24 April 2015
Bought as a gift, nice heavy vinyl, great packaging and comes with a 7" vinyl and download card.

Premier Housewares Oval Willow Basket with Gingham Lining - Purple
Premier Housewares Oval Willow Basket with Gingham Lining - Purple
Offered by MMP Living

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product!, 24 April 2015
Nice size and quality. Filled this with assorted purple gifts and it held quite a lot!

Pair of Purple Round Austrian Crystal Classic Gem Stud Earrings - Silver Surgical Stainless Steel
Offered by Katy Craig Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Purple sparkles!, 24 April 2015
Look nice, they are what they are... Quality is good for the price!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6