Profile for A Concerned Citizen > Reviews

Content by A Concerned Ci...

A Concerned Citizen "PCEK" (Sheffield, England)

Eye-Fi Connect X2 4GB Wireless SDHC Memory Card
Eye-Fi Connect X2 4GB Wireless SDHC Memory Card

5.0 out of 5 stars A new way to instantly back up your photos., 9 May 2012
I bought this card (The Connect X2 4GB) as it allows me to backup and store photos from my camera to my smartphone. It can do this without any wireless internet connection (WIFI or 3G), on any of the current cards mentioned on the Eye-fi website. This means on holiday i can now instantly backup photos to my smartphone (which has a lot more memory) and then when i do come accross a wireless signal, upload my photos online from my phone.

I've had the misfortune of losing my camera while travelling, and worse than the loss of a camera is the loss of the pictures on it. This little card will backup the photos as and when you take them, automatically. And when i get home the android app connects to my home wifi and stores the images on an external hard drive in folders by date. Its like living in the future!

After 30 mins of setting it up and figuring out my preferred settings i now only have to mess with it when i change a router password or the upload directory.

Elephant Wellyphant
Elephant Wellyphant
by Nick Sharratt

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is without parallelaphant., 8 July 2008
This review is from: Elephant Wellyphant (Hardcover)
Elephant Wellyphant is not my usual literary fare. I don't make a habit of hanging around in the children's section, but as a librarian, wandering in occasionally is an occupational hazard. I was shown a copy of Elephant Wellyphant by a colleague a few days ago and it blew my mind. This book takes one joke and mercilessly beats you around the head with it. There is no escape.

The title explains the main premise. It introduces the notion of an elephant and then proceeds to impart variations upon this theme. Wellyphant for example is an elephant in wellies. The deviation from the original concept of elephant grows as the book progresses, slowly testing ones facility to trust in these improbable elephantile occupations. The ordering is magnificent, and the flow is unbroken. I'd love to splurge out more examples of the humour of this book, but it would be a crime to impart any more as every page and every word is dynamite.

The hard hitting, straight to the point text is complemented with the glaring, over the top illustrations. Every elephant is rendered in bold colours leaving no room for analysis or interpretation beyond the very obvious. The total effect is like staring at the sun for too long, the incandescent brightness is blinding as every joke strikes home.

The magical purity of Elephant Wellyphant is no doubt lost on children, but not on me Nick Sharratt, not on me.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2010 9:41 PM GMT