Profile for rainbow flavoured daffodils > Reviews

Content by rainbow flavou...

rainbow flavoured daffodils (UK)

Cat O'Nine Tails (Cat Royal)
Cat O'Nine Tails (Cat Royal)
by Julia Golding

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new adventure, 15 Aug 2007
I'd been waiting for this book ever since Den of Thieves came out, and was very glad to find out that all of the old characters are back (except Charlie Hengrave). This book is different in that it happens over a much longer period of time, and Cat travels much further. New characters are, of course, introduced. I was extra pleased with Cat's relationship with Kanawha. (I don't want to give too much away!) One of my main complaints with the series is that Cat doesn't seem to have many female friends at all. No wonder her love life is so complicated!

I would not advise newcomers to read this book first; the characters have developed a lot since the first books, so I think everyone should start at The Diamond of Drury Lane. One small complaint is that although it is good for Cat to travel, I want to see a bit more of theatre and London, as this is what interested me in the first place. I would also like to see her regain more independence again - I loved that in Den of Thieves, she was travelling as a job. These are small things though, and I have got to say that, though Cat among the Pigeons is still my favourite, this is a great addition to the `Cat' series. I give it 4.5 stars, rounded up to 5.

Ringmaster (Darcie Lock)
Ringmaster (Darcie Lock)
by Julia Golding

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, fun read, 2 Aug 2007
Darcie Lock's father has disappeared and she is given a choice; try to help find him, or hop on a plane to the States, and safety, where her mother is waiting for her. Darcie is gadgetted up, attacked, and takes tea with the rich and privileged of Nairobi, but it is the characters who stick out in this story.
She has to decide who she can trust, who has their own private motives, and who has more secrets than they care to share. Most importantly, she has to find her dad. All of these characters are brought to life by Golding's lively language, and the situations Darcie faces are solved more believably than in other spy stories.
Good for girls (and boys) who refuse to sit there looking pretty, I would recommend this book to all younger teens (and alot of bigger kids too - I'm sixteen and enjoyed it!) Will I be buying the sequel? Most definitely yes.