Profile for C. F. Halliday > Reviews

Content by C. F. Halliday

C. F. Halliday "sonofbonzo"

BT EDGE 1500 Triple Cordless Phone with Answering Machine ( DECT,Hands Free Functionality )

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful features spoiled by rubbish programming, 18 Feb 2013
With great regret we had to assign our Phillips cordless setup to the scrap heap after many years service. We looked for a similar product with the same features and so we purchased this model with the 4 handset configuration. Initially very pleased with it...nice big numbers with backlight...intercom facility...speakerphone...A few gripes about the programming however. Despite actually answering a call on one particular handset, all the other handsets record it as a "missed call" and so you have a steady build up of missed calls on each individual handset. So unless you are the one that receives the call (and answers it)then you are no better off knowing what calls have been answered or missed! Another is the intercom facility. Whilst very useful and one is able to assign a name to each handset, when receiving an intercom call only the number of the handset appears.

Cyclaire Inflator Xtra Camping / Air Bed / Bike / Cycle Pull Cord Inflator Pump
Cyclaire Inflator Xtra Camping / Air Bed / Bike / Cycle Pull Cord Inflator Pump

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype, 15 Aug 2011
I have used this product on only three occasions. Each time to inflate a double camping air mattress. The first time appeared to be ok but very noisy. Not the kind of thing you want to start using later in the evening on a campsite. On the second time I encountered a few problems. One of which was that the pull cord would not fully retract into the unit, leaving me a small distance in which to pull aforementioned cord. Also, it seemed to take longer than the first time to blow the mattress up. My wife and I have just returned from a weekend away and this piece of carp (sic is now lying in the dustbin. After over an hour of trying to inflate our mattress (taking it in turns)and ending up with the cord fully extended and not retracting at all, we gave up with still a long way to go. With luck however, a couple came to our rescue and let me borrow their inflator. The type that works from a cigarette lighter in the car.

Before ditching this, I took it apart and was appalled at the poor build quality that has gone into this. The cord recoil is just a rubber strap that twists on itself. What a joke.

Status SREMSOC3PK3 Remote Control Socket
Status SREMSOC3PK3 Remote Control Socket

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job for little money, 21 Oct 2010
Found these at Morrisons when they were on offer for £5 or so. We now have them in the lounge connected to the TV, table lamp and home cinema system. Why is it that in this eco-conscious world that we live in today you cannot simply turn OFF appliances such as the TV. In some cases, the only option is "standby". Standby for what?...The world to end?...To save the next lounge potato from exercising his forefinger?..I really don't know! Having had my rant, I can honestly say that this device does save me fron clambering about on the floor trying to get to the mains sockets. Sorry, but this aint about laziness..its about convenience. A bit concerned at first that the remote would not be able to "see" the units if hidden behind furniture. No worries there. Works like a dream. Even has a single kill button for all appliances. Strange that there are four buttons on the remote but only three units in the package.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2012 1:39 PM BST

Philips Onis Vox 200 with Answerphone (ONIS/6631)
Philips Onis Vox 200 with Answerphone (ONIS/6631)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, 15 Jan 2009
We have had this phone for about 6 years. Having read all the other reviews on this phone I can only agree with the positives and say that we have never experienced any of the negative aspects suffered by other reviewers. In fact, we are looking out for a third spare handset. We too purchased the Onix 300 and were very disappointed with the thumbwheel interface.

Sony DCR-SR100
Sony DCR-SR100

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking good camcorder, 24 April 2007
This review is from: Sony DCR-SR100 (Electronics)
I was looking to upgrade from my JVC Mini-dv camcorder after it finally gave up the ghost. To begin with, I was interested in a high-definition model but as I researched into it more deeply I found that there were editing software issues to consider and also the price was still a little too excessive. I was adamant about having a camcorder that recorded to hard disc as I have always felt that there is too much going on with a tape-based camcorder. All that whirring and tape mechanisms....too much to go wrong I feel.
So I settled for a Sony after all and boy, am I pleased! It fits in the hand like it was always part of the hand! The sound is spectacular....on playback I was hearing sounds that I swear didn't happen when filming. Although one has to be careful when operating any buttons as the sensitive mike will pick it up. The supplied software is a little disappointing as it will only allow you to cut scenes from any footage that you take. So you can forget any ideas about challenging Spielberg for the moment. I tried Microsoft Movie-Maker (as installed with XP) but without any success. I think there is still the issue with editing as the cam saves in Mpeg2 format to the hard-drive. I am currently evaluating other software that can cope with the format.
I have yet to find fault with this cam although it is still new to me and I haven't pushed it to its limits yet. An update to the movie maker is that the latest version handles Mpeg2 format pretty well now.

The Sculptress
The Sculptress
by Minette Walters

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Minette, 16 April 2003
This review is from: The Sculptress (Paperback)
This is a classic tale of "all is not what it seems" and "never go by first impressions". I read it whilst on holiday in Spain and was in trouble many times because I just couldn't put it down!