Profile for Alex MacCuish > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
LifeCam VX-3000 Win USB Port EN/NL/FR/DE EMEA Hdwr
LifeCam VX-3000 Win USB Port EN/NL/FR/DE EMEA Hdwr

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Video Conferencing, 5 Aug 2010
As always, this package arrived from Amazon extremely quickly.

Plugging this into my Vista laptop, Windows automatically found the software on Windows Update and installed it automatically. I simply followed the instructions in the wizard and the software auto configured the Webcam. Then, the Microsoft Lifecam software started up, offering a preview of the webcam, with the option of taking pictures or recording a video clip. The interface was simple but sluggish. The more advanced features of the application allow the user to apply affects to the webcam feed, so that in say a Skype Video Call, the user may add a virtual mask, that follows the user's head as it moves across the frame.

The camera itself is reasonably well designed, and has a decent clamp, which is more than I can say for most webcams.
Unfortunately, this webcam does not have auto focusing capabilities, but manual focusing is as simple as turning a wheel. The webcam has a "Live Call" button on top which when pushed, if Windows Live Messenger is installed, will launch Windows Live Messenger. Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, there is no way to set the button to launch another program such as Skype.

The photos are relativity clear, and the video was not slow and looked pretty decent (though it may slow down on less powerful computers). The webcam was instantly recognised in Skype and added as a Video Input. The webcam has a microphone which is clear enough to pick up voices from 4 metres away. The camera seemed to deal well with low light, and quickly adjusted to different lighting conditions.

In conclusion, if you are looking for a cheap webcam that does the job well and simply, I would highly recommend this camera, as the installation, and general use of this product, is mostly automated.

Desktop Henry Vacuum Cleaner
Desktop Henry Vacuum Cleaner
Offered by CuteBitz Limited

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice Idea, 5 Aug 2010
This package arrived well wrapped and protected in the standard Amazon cardboard packaging.

This product came with a range of pipes which can be attached to the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner to complete different tasks. On turning the cleaner on, the product produced a lot of noise, yet did not suck up much, only a small clump of dust only just bigger than a pin head.

Trying all the pipes in different orders still did not work, with the product still showing very little suction. I have not however, sent this item back. Even though it's useless, it's still a nice item to have on your desk, albeit an expensive one.

If you want a desktop vacuum cleaner, from experience, look elsewhere, but if you want a pretty addition to your work desk to lighten it up that attracts your inquisitive work colleagues, look no further.

Homeworld (PC)
Homeworld (PC)
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 5 Aug 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Homeworld (PC) (CD-ROM)
I ordered this and received it with 3 days from Zoverstocks (a great place to get used games cheap) so nothing wrong on the shipping front.

The game unfortunately had not been checked, and I had not been given an instruction manual which had printed on it the Activation key required for installation, that was a mistake on Zoverstocks side but I'm reviewing the game itself here as delivery and packaging varies, and the situation was quickly remedied anyway by going online and searching for a CD key.

I had looked at this game before because of it's excellent reviews and its minuscule graphics requirements (as it was from 1999). It ran quickly on my laptop with a mere 64mb of graphics RAM, needing only 4mb. Even though the game required such little RAM, it's graphics were pretty and detailed for what was available at the time, I was not dissatisfied at all, being able to zoom up to the ships and examine every detail.

I should now probably explain the aim of the game. You are a commander of a fleet in space, seeking stones that will lead you to the Homeworld, the original world where your race came from. You must command your mothership and fleet to scour the galaxy and complete tasks, encountering enemies on the way. The story line is simple but still is solid enough to structure the game properly.

The controls are simple and very well explained in the Tutorial at the beginning, which teaches you the basic skills, such as controlling the camera, all the way up to difficult to perform tasks, whilst still being clear.

Overall, this game is amazing value for money and can be run on almost any machine, and to any keen player of strategy games, I would highly recommend this.

Mini Microphone for iPhone 3Gen / iPod Touch 2Gen / iPod Nano 4Gen [Electronics]
Offered by BV-electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 31 July 2010
I needed to purchase a microphone for my iPod Touch, as I wanted to use the Voice Activated Apps. This seemed like a suitable solution at a good price.

After ordering, it was shipped and delivered within good time. The microphone was extremely easy to use, I simply plugged it in and my Voice Activated Apps immediately made use of it. The only annoyance with this product is that I must unplug it and plug my earphones in to listen, both cannot be used at the same time, but don't let this put you off.

But for occasional use, it's prefect. Highly recommend.

HP USB Cable A-B 2 Metre C6518A
HP USB Cable A-B 2 Metre C6518A
Offered by sellthemquick

5.0 out of 5 stars Does its job, 31 July 2010
I received this item from the seller promptly. Although the product picture depicts a white cable, I was sent a black one, but I'm not too fussed either way.

The cable does what it's required to do. For those who are unsure what this cable is for, it is a male USB-A (the square block end) to a male USB-B connection (the rectangular end), and is typically used for Printers and some External Hard Drives.

Overall, I'm happy with this product, but if you are looking for a color specific cable, you may want to either confirm with the seller, or choose a different cable.

Practical PHP and MySQL: Building Eight Dynamic Web Applications (Negus Live Linux)
by Jono Bacon

5.0 out of 5 stars A Clever Approach, 5 July 2010
Starting in the web development world can be difficult, depending on what resources you use. You can be assured however, that if you use "Practical PHP and MySQL" you'll be off to a good start.

Written by Jono Bacon, well known in the Tech World for his podcast "LugRadio", this guide, rather than taking the reader through various programming concepts, throws the reader straight in to designing a blog application. This technique gives the reader a sense of accomplishment, whilst still learning the syntax of PHP.

I highly recommend this book to anyone wishing to learn PHP with its powerful friend MySQL.

Black Silicone Case & Screen Protector for New Apple iPod Touch 3rd & 2nd Generation 3G 2G - 8GB 16GB 32GB 64GB
Offered by Importer520(TM)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sleek and Simple, 4 April 2010
I ordered this and it came very quickly.

For the price, this is a very good protector. In the box comes the skin and a stick screen protector. This skin is easy to put on, whereas the sticky screen protector is a bit more difficult to put on, requiring several hands to help with the placement.

One problem I encountered was that I didn't put the screen protector on in time, meaning dust rapidly accumulated on the sticky side of the protector, rendering it useless.

Oh well... the skin still works fine and I would recommend people getting this instead of the expensive Belkin skins.

Integral USB 2.0 MultiCard Reader - Card reader ( Memory Stick, MS PRO, Microdrive, MMC, SD, MS Duo, xD, MS PRO Duo, miniSD, CF, RS-MMC, TransFlash, MMCmobile, microSD, MMCplus ) - Hi-Speed USB

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it needs to do..., 4 April 2010
I have used every slot on this device and can confirm that all work. I would suggest that other people having problems try their card in a different reader, as their cards are most likely at fault. Memory cards are notorious for going wrong, with read and write problems.

I love this device as a memory card appears instantly, as soon as its plugged in. File transfers are quick (the speeds are affected by speed of target device, memory card, usb bus speed and and file size).

Definitely recommend!

VGA Monitor Replacement SVGA M-M 15 pin Cable Black 1.8m
VGA Monitor Replacement SVGA M-M 15 pin Cable Black 1.8m
Offered by EROLLING

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, Does what it needs to do..., 4 April 2010
Delivery was quick.

This item allows the user to connect his/her computer with a VGA (Old style monitor output) to a monitor or other devices such as projectors and TVs. All you need to do is plug one end into the output of your computer and the other into the input of the display. Sometimes you may need to change settings on the computer in question to output on that port.

Very useful to have lying around for presentations which require a projector.

TINY USB 2.0 WIRELESS BLUETOOTH ADAPTER DONGLE
TINY USB 2.0 WIRELESS BLUETOOTH ADAPTER DONGLE
Offered by cheap4uk(From hongkong,2-3 weeks delivery)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 4 April 2010
I ordered this on the 27th of December and received it before the new year. My previous dongle (different model and manufacturer) broke, and so I decided to search for a new one which was small.

I ordered this one and when I arrived plugged it in to my laptop running XP and was surprised to find within a few seconds, the bluetooth icon appearing in the bottom right of my screen (the notification area). I paired it with my phone, the process was very easy, and began retrieving photos from my phone.

After a while I wanted to use the dongle to connect to my home stereo using something called the AD2P profile, which allows transfer of high quality stereo sound via the bluetooth protocol (sorry if this gets a bit techy, I will try my best to explain). This basically means using your home stereo as speakers without plugging a cable from your computer to the stereo. This meant I could play my iTunes music through my stereo. The problem with doing this is not with the device itself but with Windows, which does not support this profile. In the end I had to use the included BlueSoleil software, which was not ideal as I would have liked everything to be integrated. I would like to make it clear that this is through no fault of the device itself.

I would also like to add the device is supported under Ubuntu (Linux), so if anyone wishes to use this device for that operating system, you may go ahead and do so. By the way, Linux supports the audio profile I was talking about so you can also happily use bluetooth headphones and speakers with the device and Linux.

All in all, this is a very good device for such a low price... For anyone using this to put music on their phone or taking pictures off it, I would highly recommend this product, and the fact it came in such a quick time will also please.

Page: 1 | 2