Profile for Kevin Horton > Reviews

Content by Kevin Horton

Kevin Horton

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Microsoft Office Professional 2010, 1 User [Product Key Card Only] (PC)
Microsoft Office Professional 2010, 1 User [Product Key Card Only] (PC)
Offered by Barcleys

1.0 out of 5 stars Keycode already used, 2 April 2015
The box was sealed and looked genuine (made in Mexico) however I found I could not download the software using the keycode provided. I contact Microsoft who linked to my computer and tried to download and install the software on my behalf. After an hour their engineer admitted defeat and told me that their tools indicated that my keycode had been used to activate software on 17 previous occasions and had therefore been blocked. I was advised to return the product which I did and Amazon has given me a refund.

GENUINE BT Openreach - MK2 2013 Version - vDSL Interstitial Faceplate, ADSL Filter & I-Plate / iplate, Replaces NT2000 / NT2005 and iPlate, ADSL / ADSL2 / BT Infinity Compatible
Offered by LegreMAX

5.0 out of 5 stars BT Openreach VDSL / ADSL filtered faceplate, 24 Jan. 2015
I purchased this item in preparation for receiving BT Infinity. I believe at one time filtered faceplates used to be included in the installation, but now one is expected to continue using separate filters. One great advantage of this item is that it allows a data extension cable (cat 5e / cat 6) to be connected internally (to contacts A & B) so that a router / BT hub can be used in another room without having to relocate the telephone and master socket. I found it to be well made, easy to fit without infringing BT property and tidies the broadband installation. I have not yet tried it with VDSL (BT Infinity) but it works well with ADSL and although not increasing my speed noticeably, the speed is much more stable. I have also noticed that the telephone line appears quieter. I can strongly recommend this unit and since separate filters seem to deteriorate after some years of use, I am considering purchasing another of these units as a spare.

Casio WV-58U-1AVEF Wave Ceptor Men's Resin Strap Digital Watch
Casio WV-58U-1AVEF Wave Ceptor Men's Resin Strap Digital Watch

4.0 out of 5 stars I bought thiswatch to replace an identical model have had for six ..., 23 Jan. 2015
I bought this watch to replace an identical model have had for six years but had become unusable. Casio Repair told me there was nothing wrong with its battery and I needed a new module, quoting me several pounds more than this new watch from Amazon, hence my new purchase.

I have found this a great watch, very accurate and until recently reliable but gradually over the six years certain features failed. After about a year the watch strap needed replacing. Although replacement resin based straps can be bought online, I found that a cheap leather strap was more comfortable although of course not as resistant to water. The watch ‘glass’ can get easily scratched on hard surfaces, e.g. outside walls, but I have had no problems with any of the chrome coating.

After around 3 years the backlight stopped working, and two years later it occasionally reset itself to 1/1/2005. Eventually it stopped receiving its radio signal and finally the display faded with only parts of the digits displayed. Casio returned it to me unrepaired as requested, and I decided to fit a new battery myself. I was delighted to find that all its features returned including the backlight.

I conclude that the more energy hungry features fail first as the battery runs down and to keep everything working properly the battery should be replaced as soon as the backlight fails. The batteries are very cheap online and there are videos on YouTube showing how to replace batteries in similar watches. One needs a fine screwdriver and tweezers and the only problem I found was releasing the clip that holds the battery in place. [For those interested, the side of the clip that releases is at the top end of the watch where the metal clip hooks over a black plastic ridge. Pushing the battery down gently at the other side of the clip will often cause the clip to spring open allowing the battery to be removed].

Maxiscan MS309 Diagnostic Scanner Code Reader
Maxiscan MS309 Diagnostic Scanner Code Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Maxiscan MS309 - A very handy device, 21 Jan. 2015
I bought this to use with our Chevrolet Matiz (2007) which has a recurrent “Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve” fault. The fault is latchable so the warning light stays on until it is taken to a garage. No mechanical problem is ever found and the mechanic usually assumes there is a poor connection so cleans the sensor contacts and resets the fault which costs £30 (£60 at main dealers).
I am pleased to say this device worked very well and identified the fault immediately (fault P0400). I was able to clear the fault easily so it has already saved me garage fees. Just to note that it will power up with the ignition off for setup purposes, but for scanning/erasing faults the ignition must be turned on otherwise a communication error is produced. There are some good videos on YouTube explaining how it is used.

STORAGE BASKETS - 3 TIER - OPEN FRONTED - OATMEAL - 52CM x 38CM x 29CM
STORAGE BASKETS - 3 TIER - OPEN FRONTED - OATMEAL - 52CM x 38CM x 29CM
Offered by Ur Choice

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent storage system that helps to organise the kitchen and ..., 22 Nov. 2014
An excellent storage system that helps to organise the kitchen and retrieve more work surface. I have had no problems with any of the shelves accidentally separating despite the large amount of items we store in them. I can certainly recommend this product.

External Portable Hard Drive SILVER Pocket Size Slim Includes One Touch Back Up Software - Wholesale Hard Drives - FAT32 (500GB)
Offered by YouLookSlim

4.0 out of 5 stars External USB 2.0 Hard Drive, 22 Nov. 2014
The drive is compact and built in an aluminium case with a small blue activity LED. It has a small carry bag for transporting. Despite the title, the drive does not contain any backup software.

I purchased the drive to use as a recording device for my Panasonic TX-42AS650B smart television after unsuccessful attempts with other small USB 3.0 backup drives. Most USB backup drives now use USB 3.0 and have 0.5m leads suitable for positioning close to a laptop but too short to attach to a TV without leaving the drive hanging.

Although the USB 3.0 connectors are compatible with USB 2.0 sockets they will only work using the short 0.5m leads provided. This appears to be due to the higher data rate of USB 3.0 which needs a short lead when used with a USB 2.0 port. To resolve this problem, I decided to purchase this drive and use USB 2.0 throughout since the TV uses USB 2.0.

This drive also has a short 0.5m USB lead in the form of a ‘Y’ cable to allow it to be plugged into two USB 2.0 ports or an adapter for extra power. I found it worked well on a PC with a 1.8m cable so long as I used a suitable ‘Y’ cable and two USB 2.0 ports to provide the current needed.

The drive requires around 500mA when starting up, but only used 190mA when resting. Unlike my PC, the TV is quite happy to provide 500mA when needed so the drive works perfectly when connected with a 1.8m lead to only one USB socket on the TV.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2015 5:13 PM GMT

Toshiba HDTB105EK3AA 500GB Stor.E Basics USB 3.0 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive - Black
Offered by DigiOutlet

2.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba 500GB USB Disk Drive, 22 Sept. 2014
I purchased this USB drive with the hope of using it in conjunction with a smart TV to store HD programmes. The instruction leaflet was very brief but referred the user to a user guide contained as a PDF file on the drive. Knowing that smart TVs insist on reformatting new USB drives, I connected it to my PC to retrieve the user manual and any other important files. I found that all the files on the drive (excepting Autorun.inf) were corrupted and could not be read. In fact viewing the files in a Hex Editor showed they all contained unreadable characters throughout (0xFF hexadecimal). I ran Windows Chkdsk on the drive and it came up with many errors in sectors and indexes. It may well have worked with the TV after re-formatting, but with no user guide readable and such uncertainty over the drive's reliability at the start of its life I returned it to Amazon and they are currently processing my refund.

Self Adhesive Magnetic Tape 12mm x 1mtr side A
Self Adhesive Magnetic Tape 12mm x 1mtr side A
Offered by Specialist Tapes UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Self Adhesive Magnetic Tape, 22 Sept. 2014
The tape sticks very well and I found after sticking, it was still possible to remove it intact if needed for re-positioning - this might not be true after sometime. I purchased the tape to allow some Perspex (3mm thick, 50 cm sq approx) to be attached to a TV cabinet and easily removed when needed thus avoiding all the problems of hinges, drilling, sliding track etc. With a strip at the top and the bottom of the Perspex I found it held very firm. Having its matching component "Self Adhesive Magnetic Tape Side B" helped considerably as the attraction between the two types of tape is much greater and it also 'locks' into position when the two tapes are placed together. The magnetism outside of the tapes once placed together is very weak so unlikely to affect electronics unless placed very close. I have duplicated this review for its matching pair, “Side B”

My only negative remark is that the tape came in two unlabeled sealable plastic bags from the supplier. As such I have no way of knowing which is "Side A" type and which is "Side B" type for if I wish to order more of a particular type. One tape has a fine groove running through its magnet surface, the other does not; so they are clearly distinguishable but which is "A" and which is "B"?

Self Adhesive Magnetic Tape 12mm x 1mtr side B
Self Adhesive Magnetic Tape 12mm x 1mtr side B
Offered by Specialist Tapes UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Self Adhesive Magnetic Tape, 22 Sept. 2014
The tape sticks very well and I found after sticking, it was still possible to remove it intact if needed for re-positioning - this might not be true after sometime. I purchased the tape to allow some Perspex (3mm thick, 50 cm sq approx) to be attached to a TV cabinet and easily removed when needed thus avoiding all the problems of hinges, drilling, sliding track etc. With a strip at the top and the bottom of the Perspex I found it held very firm. Having its matching component "Self Adhesive Magnetic Tape Side A" helped considerably as the attraction between the two types of tape is much greater and it also 'locks' into position when the two tapes are placed together. The magnetism outside of the tapes once placed together is very weak so unlikely to affect electronics unless placed very close. I have duplicated this review for its matching pair, “Side A”

UHF TV Signal Finder
UHF TV Signal Finder
Offered by Oakfield Leisure Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars UHF TV Signal Finder, 1 Nov. 2013
This review is from: UHF TV Signal Finder (Electronics)
This device proved to be very useful in finding the optimum position for placing an indoor aerial in the roof and also for determining the signal loss I was experiencing in the coax cables leading to the television.
The item is light which is good when getting into awkward positions to adjust an aerial, but it would benefit from having an optional clip on the back which could leave both hands free when needed. The main problem I encountered was that the LEDs were not shielded from each other inside the case and consequently it was difficult to tell sometimes how many LEDs were lit. I am not certain if the instrument is supposed to display partially lit LEDs, but often they looked that way. I think some plastic shielding inside round each LED would fix that problem. A minor point is that the battery rattles around in the case; maybe a bit of foam plastic in the battery compartment would give a more professional feel to the device.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3