Profile for daisyduck1976 > Reviews

Content by daisyduck1976

daisyduck1976 (UK)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-28
Sentence of Marriage (Promises to Keep Book 1)
Sentence of Marriage (Promises to Keep Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly deserving of the title "Page-turner", 2 Aug. 2011
I LOVED this book! Shayne Parkinson has done a fantastic job of painting a picture of the life of a 19th century New Zealand farm girl. I found myself absolutely enchanted with the comings and goings of Amy's family within minutes of starting to read this book.
It's effectively a historical family saga, so there are highs, lows, surprises, romances, betrayals and more. Added to all of this, there are interesting insights into farm life at that time, something that I knew little about. The character of Amy is very easy to engage with. She seems perfect at first, but is ultimately as flawed as any teenage girl trying to figure out how to bridge the gap between girl and woman. All the characters are very clearly portrayed, even the very minor ones. So much so, that I can picture them all in my mind and towards the end, I started to feel that I actually knew and understood them.
I sympathised with Amy, laughed at Lizzie her cousin, loved to hate Susannah her step-mother, felt exasperated with Jack her father and found myself whizzing through what is quite a long book, at an amazing rate because I was so engrossed in the plot.

I can't recommend this highly enough. There are very few stories of this type around and even fewer that are so well-written. I'm so glad to see that there are 3 more books in the series for me to read. I'm looking forward to all of them!

Kindle edition: very well-formatted, no errors or problems that I could see :)

Kane and Abel 30th Anniversary Edition
Kane and Abel 30th Anniversary Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book but Archer's style takes some getting used to, 2 Aug. 2011
I very much enjoyed this tale of coincidence and rivalry between two men born on the same day into very different lifestyles. Jeffrey Archer paints the characters well through their actions and behaviour and the story of the two men's lives from childhood to death is very compelling.
I would describe it as a family saga, if I had to put it in a category. It has all the elements of that type of book. Feuds, successes, failures and misunderstandings abound as the two men go through their lives. In fact, it bears a resemblance to the Forsythe Saga in some ways.
I did find Archer's style difficult to warm to, however. He writes in a very matter of fact way. He uses virtually no description, no similes, no metaphors or any language of that type, which at times can make the story a little dry. He also writes dialogue in a way that jars a little. He rarely interrupts a character's speech to explain anyone's reaction to what they are saying or to explain what that character, or any other character, is doing while someone is talking. It makes the dialogue seem rather unrealistic. For example, one character might reveal something shocking but the reaction of the person they are speaking to isn't explained until the end of the speech, so it appears for a while that there's no reaction from anyone at all; an odd way of writing. My only other criticism is the ending. The reactions of the minor characters at the end of the book were inexplicable to me. Considering the events that had taken place, they seemed to take an "Oh well, moving on" attitude, when it seemed to me that anger, distress or some kind of strong emotion would have been more likely.

Despite this, I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a page-turner. There aren't many books around like this one. It's definitely worth a read.
Kindle edition: no formatting problems or errors

Broken (Women of the Otherworld Book 6)
Broken (Women of the Otherworld Book 6)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite, 23 July 2011
I love Kelley Armstrong and I particularly enjoy the Otherworld series when it focuses on Elena. She's the most interesting character for me. Bitten and Stolen were both good but when the focus switched to Paige and the witches and the sorceror cabals in the next couple of books, my interest waned a little.

So, I was pleased when I realised that Broken was back to Elena. In simplistic terms, the plot has moved on a few years and Elena is pregnant. She and the rest of the pack are involved in solving a mystery surrounding Jack the Ripper which includes portals and zombies.

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the main plotline. It just didn't really engage me and, although it seems silly to say this about the plot of a paranormal book, it just seemed so unrealistic, even for their world. I really dislike it when paranormal plots drag up real events or characters from history and try to add a paranormals twist to them. Just doesn't float my boat.

The best parts of the book were all the bits that had nothing to do with the main plot- Elena's pregnancy, her relationship with Clay, Jeremy and the pack, Jeremy and Jaime and so on. I found myself very disinterested in the rest of it.

Don't get me wrong. I will continue to read the Otherworld books and Kelley Armstrong's writing is still good, the characters are still great, but this one really didn't grab me plot-wise.

Kindle edition: well formatted and very few typos :)

The Book Thief
The Book Thief

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every second of the time I gave to reading it, 16 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Book Thief (Kindle Edition)
I don't often bother to review a much reviewed book, especially when I agree with most of the other reviewers, but this is such a beautiful book that I had to write something in praise of it.

The story follows a period in life of Liesel, a little girl who has had a tough start in life and finds herself fostered with a strange couple during the rise of Nazi Germany. She discovers a love of books after stealing one early on in her troubles, and this love brings her closer to her new foster father and later to a Jewish man in hiding.

The style of the book is unusual but very effective. The narrator, Death, leads through Liesel's life with a light-hearted tone that makes some of the difficult moments easier to bear. Each chapter begins with a little list of what's to come. Some, but not all, of the deaths of characters are announced long before they happen, a unique method of plotting but it really works. Somehow, knowing that a particular character was going to die and even how they were going to die, well in advance, was a relief to me as a reader and I was able to relax into the reading, rather than feeling the tension of knowing that something bad was coming, but not knowing what it was.

I found this book such a pleasure to read. It's beautifully written. I fell in love with several of the characters, was amused, moved and shocked during reading and I cried a little at the end. I highly recommend it. It has definitely moved into my personal list of beloved books. I suspect that it may be a book that people will still be talking about and recommending for years to come.

Kindle edition: perfect formatting and no typos or errors. Download it now! :)

Kindle 3 Skin - Lime Punch
Kindle 3 Skin - Lime Punch

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as it appears, 1 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Kindle 3 Skin - Lime Punch
These skins are really very good. They are good quality, durable and easy to use. The skin peels off its backing easily and is very easy to put on your Kindle. It fits perfectly.
This lime punch skin looks exactly as it does in the picture, a nice bright green with a distinctive flower pattern. It goes nicely with the green amazon cover too, if coordinating colours is your thing ;)

Life... With No Breaks: A Laugh Out Loud Comedy Memoir
Life... With No Breaks: A Laugh Out Loud Comedy Memoir

4.0 out of 5 stars Read in two sittings, 1 Jun. 2011
I'm not sure why it took me so long to get around to downloading this book really... Well it probably comes down to two things: 1) I am more of a paranormal/historical romance, family drama, chick lit type of a girl 2) the more people kept telling me to read it, the more it put me off- I'm a Contrary Mary that way!

Once I caved and downloaded it, I decided to read it on a fairly lengthy coach journey. I can only say that it is the perfect read for that sort of thing. Funny and engaging enough to keep me distracted there and back again, but not requiring to much thought on my part whilst reading. It's more of a "sit back and enjoy" kind of a book. Nick Spalding has an easy way about his writing that draws you in and makes you feel part of his stories. Reading his book is a bit like having a really long chat with someone that you are just getting to know, hearing all their embarrassing, happy and sad stories for the first time, and being able to identify with some of the situations yourself.

The laugh out loud warning holds true. I certainly did, but there are also more serious moments dealing with the breakdown of his marriage and his relationship with his son. These parts are written in the same easy way as the funny stories and they have such an honest, open feel to them that it's hard not to be drawn in.

I really enjoyed my time reading this book and would recommend it if you ever need cheering up!
Kindle: No typos, no formatting problems, no errors :)

The Help
The Help

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't find a bad thing to say about it, 24 April 2011
This review is from: The Help (Kindle Edition)
It's not often that I read something and think "That was perfect. I wouldn't change a thing," but it has happened with this book. Katherine Stockett has really achieved something with this book. I knew a little about the time period she is writing about and a little about the politics and a little about the location, but, by the time I had finished the book, I felt as though I had lived through it all myself.
It is so beautifully written. The characters and their lives are as clear as day in my mind and I feel that I really understand them because they were so well-drawn. Although it was a long book, Ms.Stockett was economical with her words. She didn't waste time with inconsequential information or description. It felt as though every word was important to the plot as I was reading.
The story moves between three narrators- Aibileen, Minny and Skeeter, living in Jackson, Mississippi during a time of racial segregation and on the precipice of great social change. The beauty of the story comes through the rest of the cast of characters and their lives and how they impact on the lives of the three narrators. I found myself moving through a variety of emotions as I read and I was brought to tears a couple of times too. Finishing the book was bitter-sweet but I am so pleased to have read it.

I would really recommend The Help as a beautifully written, character driven novel. If you enjoy family sagas, then you might enjoy this.
Kindle edition: not a single typo or error- not something that you can say very often, so go ahead and download :)

Loved (Book #2 in the Vampire Journals)
Loved (Book #2 in the Vampire Journals)

4.0 out of 5 stars Series developing well, 10 April 2011
I was pleasantly surprised by the first book in this series Turned (Book 1 in the Vampire Journals) and I hoped that the second book would develop the story well. I wasn't disappointed.

The story is really well-written, characters are developed effectively and it left me wanting more. Morgan Rice avoids the usual pitfalls of cheesy dialogue and unrealistic reactions between characters, making this a young adult series really worth pursuing. The story continues immediately after the end of book 1, with Caitlin and Caleb searching for her father's sword and trying to locate her brother, Sam. The story is also full of historical references, which I really enjoyed. There is plenty of action and suspense and just a touch of romance but Ms Rice doesn't let it take over the plot.

I would definitely recommend that you download this if you enjoyed the first book.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kindle edition: there are one or two typos, but no major spelling errors or formatting problems, so feel free to download :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2012 9:39 PM BST

Lover Unleashed: Number 9 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series)
Lover Unleashed: Number 9 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising but in a good way, 31 Mar. 2011
I was very excited about reading this book but at the same time I wondered whether I could possibly get as absorbed as I normally do when it was Payne's book. After all, we barely know her at all and Manuel didn't come across as one to watch in his past appearances either. In actual fact, this really wasn't an issue because this isn't really Payne and Manuel's book. It's actually V and Jane's second book with a side-serving of Payne and Manuel and cameo appearances by Butch, Qhuinn and Blay. There is also a new character calle Xcor. There are vague mentions of the other main characters that we know and love but no interaction with them all really. There wasn't even a little hint of the Scribe Virgin. That's the reason that I have knocked off a star for what is really a very good installment in the series (that and JR Ward's continuing refusal to acknowledge the need for question marks). I missed all those lovely characters! Bring them back for the next one, please :)

Without revealing any spoilers, the main thrust of the plot centres around Payne's recovery, her feelings for her doctor Manuel and more importantly the repercussions that this has on V and Jane. Most of the really interesting and emotive content comes from the changes in V and Jane's relationship. That's what I enjoyed reading the most. Payne is an interesting character and I liked her very much and I was relieved to see that once I found out more about Manuel, I liked him too.

So- this is a must-read for any JR Ward fans. It is a good book. However, it does leave you hanging. What's going to happen with Qhuinn and Blay, Qhuinn and Layla, Xhex and her mother, Xhex and Mhurder, Tohr and so on and so on? We get no insight into any of these ongoing plotlines in this book and enquiring minds want to know!
Kindle Edition: no formatting problems or typos- go ahead and download :)

Industrial Magic (Women of the Otherworld Book 4)
Industrial Magic (Women of the Otherworld Book 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Ready to move on from Paige now, 26 Mar. 2011
I love this series, but I have struggled a bit with both Dime Store Magic and Industrial Magic. I like Lucas and Paige, love Savannah, find the whole Cabal world interesting but I just couldn't get invested in the storyline of this book. Paige and Lucas are trying to find a serial killer who is targeting stray teens from the cabals.

This book is just as well-written as the others, but it wasn't attention-grabbing and "can't put it down" like the first two. I stopped reading it two or three times because it wasn't quite holding my interest enough. One of the problems was the lack of Savannah for much of the plot. We had brief tantalising glimpses of Jeremey, Elena and Clay as well, but not enough to lift the plot. Towards the end, when the pace of the story picked up a bit, I was more engaged, particularly with the resurgance of a character from the second book. I won't name names, as it would be a plot spoiler ;)

All in all, this is still a must-read but it didn't wow me. I am ready to move on from Paige now. She just doesn't pack enough of a punch.

Kindle edition- error free, so go ahead and download it :)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-28