Profile for R. H. Barton > Reviews

R. H. Barton (UK)

Verdi: Otello
Verdi: Otello

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Verdi: Otello (Audio CD)
Lovely performance and recording !

The Troublesome Offspring Of Cardinal Guzman
The Troublesome Offspring Of Cardinal Guzman
by Louis De Bernières

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful - see short review, 30 Aug. 2013
A work of genius, which every Catholic and Atheist should read... A bit of South America with passion, and with force majeure characters plus some real existential thinking stuff - but so much fun. Once captivated, you'll not stop until finished. One of my 5 best fiction books of the year.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Talisker..., 30 July 2013
The best Talisker I ever had - and the last inch of the bottle lasted me over 10 years and still all held together... extraordinary stuff. Now with the prices for this, I am a little torn as to what to do with my last bottle...

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the all-time greats, 7 Feb. 2013
Over the years, consistently wonderful... and unlike others (even some of the "Big 6" classic malts), it has not been watered-down to 40%, which to my mind thins the flavours of a Whisky. It is of course an Islay malt and peaty, so if you are used to Glenlivet 12 y.o., you might get a fright. A word of advice to the fanatic though - I have visited several Islay distilleries, but a visit to Lagavulin Distillery around 1999 produced a most off-hand (to the point of rudeness) and unwelcoming reception upon our srrival. Still, I have to buy their product !

Emmanuelle Bertrand -  Works for Cello
Emmanuelle Bertrand - Works for Cello

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally agree - an astonishing set of renditions., 16 Feb. 2012
Why use so many words... this is music. Over a few years this recording has not wearied with me. Lovely playing, intelligent recognition of the composers' complexities, and best bonus - great listening.

The Day We Found the Universe
The Day We Found the Universe
by Marcia Bartusiak

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read all-round, 31 May 2011
I put off reading this despite an interest in astronomiy, as I thought it might be a bit "dry"... Well actually it is a great read - the science is very well-explained, the history is fascinating and revealing of the issues and technology critical to the history, but most of all, I was surprised by the excellent characterization of the main players in the saga of galactic discovery. Thoroughly recommended.

Deep Down Things: The Breathtaking Beauty of Particle Physics
Deep Down Things: The Breathtaking Beauty of Particle Physics
by Bruce A. Schumm

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book !, 21 Oct. 2009
As an "amateur" physics reader who has waded through many a book, this tome stands out in many ways - but to cut it short, it is a wonderful enterprise, aiming to explain in the widest and deepest sense, how we got to where we are in elementary (or not) particle physics... symmetry principles and consequences, what gauge invariance means in the simplest terms, and a whole large lot more. My best plaudits for this painstaking and creative work !

Godel's Proof
Godel's Proof
by Ernest Nagel

5.0 out of 5 stars Nagel and Newman, 16 July 2008
This review is from: Godel's Proof (Hardcover)
This book by Nagel and Newman is a great classic, clever and suited to the intellectually curious who have not the patience (or talent) for the full syntax of mathematical logic.

Aside: It is a little misleading that Amazon, in their header, say "By Douglas R.Hofstadter, ..." as he wrote the preface only to this much later reprinted edition.

Affinity
Affinity
Offered by thebookcommunity

5.0 out of 5 stars great vocalist, lovely album, 7 Jun. 2001
This review is from: Affinity (Audio CD)
Out on LP years ago, Linda Hoyle's (name from memory) vocals are lovely. Also some unusual takes on familiar songs - try all along the watchtower! I was about the try to cut a CD from my old LP version, but now it's out as a CD - whoopee!