Profile for Morven Tough > Reviews

Content by Morven Tough

Morven Tough (London, England)

The Fifties Mystique
The Fifties Mystique
by Jessica Mann

5.0 out of 5 stars Those were the days, oh boy........, 9 July 2012
This review is from: The Fifties Mystique (Paperback)
Jessica Mann's book is fascinating and everything she says so true. Born in the late Forties, I was lucky to be brought up on the other side of the pond in the late Fifties and Sixties. When I came to live in England in the Seventies, I found society here still suffocatingly repressive - I think the society reflected in the Fifties Mystique lasted a good bit longer than just that decade and the next. What Ms. Mann's book has helped me to understand is why my British relatives and in-laws, born in the twenties, were so full of old-fashioned incomprehensible prejudices and assumptions, they seemed to be stuck in a time-warp - I guess they couldn't help it, they just didn't know any better. I hope my daughter, born in the late nineties, continues to benefit from the enlightenment and hard-won freedom of choice the Baby-Boomers fought to get her, but no doubt about it, there's no guarantee, she could be experiencing an Emancipation Mystique and it might be her daughter next who wonders 'what happened?'.

Thank you, Ms. Mann.

Release The Book Within
Release The Book Within
by Jo Parfitt

5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem., 19 May 2007
Jo Parfitt's book DOES help to Release the Book Within.

It is a little gem - both practical and inspiring, full of sound comprehensive advice, brimming with ideas and tips. Jo holds your hand from beginning to end, from fine-tuning your idea to getting it published, from coming up with the right title to planning it and laying it out, from starting to shape your idea to adding that final polish. She writes with a clear succinct style, uses examples and gives invaluable explanations when they are needed. She guides you through modifying the outline, reviewing and changing your MSS, helps you organise your research, and sets your expectations of what is involved in getting published in the real world.

She gives a Recipe with ingredients and processes clearly explained,and is sympathetic to the hurdles and hazards to finding time and motivation to keep going when the going gets tough. There are excellent appendices of other reading and inspiring books and websites.

I am really glad I read this book - it tells the full story of how to get the book you have dreamed of writing onto paper and out there - a reality check which will sustain and support you as you go.

My advice? Buy It!