Profile for grizzly > Reviews

Solid Pine Spice Rack Holds Up To 44 Jars 4 Tiers
Solid Pine Spice Rack Holds Up To 44 Jars 4 Tiers
Offered by SilverAppleWood

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Space Saving Unit, 20 May 2012
Having searched the Internet and local shops for months this was the only free standing spice rack we could find that would hold this many jars. We don't expect to stay in our current house for too long so a unit requiring fixing to a wall or door was useless to us. For that reason alone this gets 5 stars.

The spice rack is sturdier than I had expected. It uses up an insignificant amount of workspace but has freed up an entire shelf in our largest cupboard on which we can now stack our tins and jars. I would recommend buyers measure the space where they would like to put the rack before purchasing. It is to tall to fit between the worktop and wall cupboards in most kitchens and if free standing definitely needs to be against a wall. Once it is full it will take a significant force to push it over and feels secure on a flat worktop. We have filled it with a mix of supermarket own-brand and schwartz spice/herb jars both of which fit easily with room to spare. Only the taller non-standard sized containers like Schwartz Korma Curry Spice 90g can be a little difficult although they still fit with OK with some manoeuvring.

My only criticism is the finish of the wood. It feels like it needs a bit of sanding so that it would feel a bit smoother although you can do this at home if you think it is worth it. Definitely highly recommended.

Note this product is sometimes available in oak. We only saw this after we had ordered the pine version:Solid Oak Spice Rack Four Tier 44 Jar Capacity

3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug to 3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug 1.2M
3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug to 3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug 1.2M
Offered by EF-Cloud.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, 7 Jan. 2012
I tried this cable in 3 different devices, and two different PCs. On every ocassion only one speaker worked, clearly the cable was defective.

I didn't try to get a refund or return the cable, at 56p it isn't worth it. I give it two stars instead of one because for the price it's probably worth the small risk of the odd dodgy cable, luck wasn't on my side.

Forever Natural Wooden Nail Brush
Forever Natural Wooden Nail Brush

3.0 out of 5 stars Keep away from water!, 14 July 2010
For the price I bought it, this is a good product. The larger brush is soft and good for getting grime off of your skin and the smaller bristles at the end are stiff and ideal for getting under your nails.

However, be aware that you should not let it sit in water as it is not waterproof and the wood is prone to getting damp. The paint will also peal off. It still does the job though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2010 9:55 AM BST

4 Way TV Aerial Distribution Amplifier / Booster
4 Way TV Aerial Distribution Amplifier / Booster

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well but can have issues, 14 July 2010
I bought this product about 2 years ago and I have been using it since. In general it performs well. Without it my Humax 9200 pvr cannot find any channels but after installation it can find everything and most channels are perfectly clear. It isn't perfect though; it seems very flimsy and I always found that moving it around varied the quality of the signal for no obvious reason. Whilst it has a variable signal the dial (turned by a screwdriver) will keep turning through 360 degrees and it is a matter of trial and error to achieve the desired output. I also had to wire on a plug to the power cable as one was not included in the box.

I did buy this more than two years ago so whether it still has these problems I don't know. This product offers a high level of gain and outputs for the price, but from my experience build quality and reliability could be better.

QI: The Book of Animal Ignorance
QI: The Book of Animal Ignorance
by Stephen Fry

5.0 out of 5 stars Far more interesting and far funnier than the first book, 12 Nov. 2007
The Book of Animal Ignorance is quite different from its predecessor, the Book of General Ignorance. The few people that disliked the first QI book complained that its question and answer style made them feel stupid (although the fact that so many people bought it seems to suggest that people quite enjoyed this). You won't get that feeling when reading the latest edition from the QI team.

The book has lost the question and answer style of the book of general ignorance. Instead it has been organised into two-page sections, each concerning one of 100 animals, organised alphabetically. Hence the focus has drifted away from the ignorance and over to the animal. However, that does not mean that the book is any less interesting.

For someone who religiously watches the TV show which the book accompanies, this book is far more rewarding. The first book lifted much of its material from the general ignorance round in the show. That which hadn't been seen by viewers of the show, probably hadn't made the cut. For this book it is clear that a considerable amount of extra research has been done.

Since much of the research has been done exclusively for the book, you can begin to perceive some of the themes that preoccupied the authors and their elves. The etymology of animal names is a clear example. Understanding how an animal was named gives a fascinating insight into what we believed we knew about the animal in the past and how our relationship with it has changed. The mouse is an excellent example:

"The very name `mouse' ultimately derives from the Sanskrit root mush, which means mouse and also to steal. Hence wherever we went thereafter - on foot, in carts, or by ship - the little thief kept us company."

There's also a very strong focus on evolution and how natural selection produced some of the stranger animals in the book. This makes for some interesting discussion, especially for those animals that have existed in isolation for so long.

If the book makes a reference to barbs, spines, nails or unfolding like a Swiss army knife then something about male genitalia is probably about to follow. The topic of animal reproduction and their reproductive organs is something this book doesn't shy away from. It certainly makes for intriguing discussion. Both men and women will find that this book will create feelings of varying degrees of supremacy and inadequacy. However, one must disagree with the claim that "if the Nine-banded armadillo were human its penis would be 4 feet long". If it were human then it would have a human sized penis.

Accompanying the section on each animal is at least one picture drawn by Ted Dewan. Reading a book as interesting as this, it would be easy to rush onto read about the next animal without glancing at these excellent illustrations. Don't! These pictures don't just illustrate what is described in the text but also include some of the most interesting pieces of information in the book. They range from mechanical drawings (Ted Dewan trained as an engineer) to illustrate an owl's ability to move its head around 360 degrees, to the life-like drawing of a catfish. Some will set you laughing out loud like the sketch of a brown bear wandering around a supermarket. Also, don't miss the extra facts and quotes in the grey boxes. The best one accompanies the section about humans.

"Human beings, who are unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" Douglas Adams.

The book includes at its start a foreword by Stephen Fry, a `forepaw' by Alan Davies (which is far bigger than his contribution to the first book) and an introduction by the authors John Lloyd and John Mitchinson. All three are well worth reading and avoid skipping straight into the main text. As they explain, QI is as much a philosophy as a TV show and animals are the bread and butter of interestingness. A quote from Henry Beston in the book:

"In a world older and more complex than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with the extension of the sense we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time."

The amazing illustrations, the tireless research by the elves and the philosophy of QI have combined to create an excellent book. You can dip into it and be confident that you will always be rewarded with something you didn't know. I sincerely suggest that you take up the author's invitation to "come down to the waterhole of ignorance and wallow with us for a while".

Humax PVR9200T Set Top Box
Humax PVR9200T Set Top Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed the way I watch TV, 27 April 2007
I got my Humax 9200T about 2 weeks ago. I'd been looking at replacing my digital freeview box (one of three Logitech LDR-1 that I own, it is still on the market) because the remote had broken. The Logitech is unusual as freeview boxes go since you can turn it on/off and change volume/channel using buttons on the front (others are useless without the remote) so it has been moved onto a different TV instead of being scrapped.

Not having the budget to pay for the Humax or anything of similar quality I went to the comet clearance auctions site (clearance-comet.co.uk). After measuring up what commonly goes on the site for about a month I decided to go with the Humax 9200T based on reviews here. It cost me £120 which is very good. The damage to it was a dent on the top which isn't visible with the TV sat on top of it. It's an excellent place for a bargain if you don't care about scratches and dents. Keep an eye out for when the Humax 9200T is replaced with a new model, end of line models are usually unused and undamaged and this is an excellent box.

Installation was fairly simple, although the fact that it had been pre-owned made things a little difficult. I had to read the manual about how to return it to default settings since it has already been tuned. Since then it has been smooth sailing (it didn't come with the batteries or scart cable that it should have but we have plenty spare).

There are some excellent features, the PIP (Picture-In-Picture) has proved very useful when watching sport on Saturdays and the snooker world championship has been vastly improved by the ability to watch both tables at once.

Recording and pausing live TV is excellent (the new feature of automatically setting an earlier start and later end time for recording is also useful to avoid missing the end of shows).

Something that no one has mentioned yet - it comes with 4 in-built video games for when there's nothing to watch on TV!!! That was an afternoon of fun!

Picture quality is visibly better compared to my old Logitech, although the importance of this on my relatively small TV is limited.

Reports of excessive sound are greatly overstated! My PC is louder my some considerable margin and the PC is one of the quietest I've ever owned. Noise is only audible when the TV is switched off (as is everything else in the room). Oh and here's an excellent idea if the noise is too bad for you to sleep with (if it's in your bedroom), turn it off!!!

The EPG (7 days) updates automatically when you turn it on and doesn't take too long doing it.

This is a good box. Brilliant for the price that I paid for it. When you're ready to upgrade, this is what I recommend that you try first.