Profile for Josh Johnson > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Silverline MS138 Blast Wastepipe Unblocker 370mm
Silverline MS138 Blast Wastepipe Unblocker 370mm

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap rubbish., 18 Jun 2014
As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. This broke the first time I tried to use it; handle snapped clean off. Waste of time and money.

ChiChinLighting® 6-Pack Dimmable B15 LED candle Bulbs Bayonet Small Bayonet 3W Clear Cover 3000k Warm White 360 Degree Lighting Bullet Top
Offered by Chichinlighting

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 30 April 2014
I have wanted to invest in some LED bulbs for a while now and when I saw how relatively cheap these were, I thought now would be a good time to do so. Unfortunately, these particular LEDs are not great.

They are noticeably dimmer than the energy saving bulbs they replaced, though they do of course come on instantly (i.e. there is no "warm up" period as with energy saving bulbs). In the room that I am using these, we have a chandelier style light fitting with three bulbs fitted and at full brightness, this is just about bright enough. If we had a single bulb in the room, they'd be absolutely no good to us.

The other problem I have had with these is that they aren't truly compatible with a dimmer switch. It is true that they will dim, however this is in steps rather than a smooth dimming of light. That would not be a problem, if not for the fact that these "steps" appear to have boundaries and if your dimmer witch sits too near the edge of these boundaries, they flicker unbearably between two levels. To add to the frustration, this isn't always instantly noticeable, so you can set them to your desired brightness then 10 minutes later they'll begin flickering rapidly until you adjust the dimmer again.

I also had one bulb blow within the first week. The seller replaced this for me no problem, but it does beg the question, how long are they going to last?

If you want a cheap intro to LED bulbs then by all means give these a go. The external build quality seems good and I may have just been unlucky with the blown bulb, only time will tell. The supplier is very quick to respond too and provided me with a replacement bulb promptly. However, if I were to buy any more LEDs, I'd pay a bit more and buy a reputable brand as they're brighter, can be properly dimmed and may well prove to last longer.

Expert Shield - THE Screen Protector for: Sony Xperia SP *Lifetime Guarantee*
Expert Shield - THE Screen Protector for: Sony Xperia SP *Lifetime Guarantee*
Offered by Expert Shield

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 30 Dec 2013
I've become a big fan of the Expert Shield screen protectors, they fit well and easily, are thick enough to take deeper scratches than cheap alternatives and I can say from experience, the lifetime guarantee is genuine.

On the SP, the fit is perfect and probably the easiest to fit yet.

Would highly recommend.

Hori Officially Licensed Protective Screen Filter (PlayStation Vita)
Hori Officially Licensed Protective Screen Filter (PlayStation Vita)

2.0 out of 5 stars Much better protectors available for this money, 29 Dec 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
At this price, I was expecting a protector of equal quality to the Expert Shield protectors I use on all of my phones. I wish I had realized before I ordered that ES make protectors for the Vita for the same price, I would have bought one of those instead!

Applying the protector was going smoothly until I got a small dust particle underneath. As I have done many times before with ES protectors (and as recommended in this protectors manual), I used a piece of clear tape to lift the protector from the screen. Big mistake! Whatever material this thing is made of hates tape - most of the sticky residue was left behind and took considerable elbow grease and screen cleaner to remove.

In use the protector is very disappointing. Dark scenes become a cloudy grey mess as you can actually see the protector on top of the screen - shoddy.

The one good thing I will say about this is that it covers 99% of the front of the Vita, very little is left exposed.

All in all, I'd expect this quality from a cheap "3 for £1" pack of screen protectors, but not one priced £6+

Officially Licensed 4Gamers Clean 'n' Protect Kit - Blue (PlayStation Vita)
Officially Licensed 4Gamers Clean 'n' Protect Kit - Blue (PlayStation Vita)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value for Money, 29 Dec 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I didn't expect much for the price I paid (£2.61) but I am really impressed. The bag itself feels high quality, with very soft innards and a decent amount of padding too. The wrist strap is handy although the screen cleaner I won't use - the key ring end looks sharp enough to do the screen some damage long term. For the bag alone, this is a real bargain.

Raspberry Pi User Guide
Raspberry Pi User Guide

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guide for all Raspberry Pi Owners, 13 Sep 2012
I highly recommend this book to anybody who owns (or plans to buy) a Raspberry Pi.

It is well written, informative and interesting. The introduction gives you a very interesting history of how the R-Pi came to be, the aims of the project and the current state of affairs. There are many helpful guides on using your Pi, right from the basics of installing Raspian through to manually overriding memory allocation and overclocking (with suitable warnings of course!)

There are guides on setting up the R-Pi for a variety of common uses, from a desktop environment to a media center and even as a web server.

The tips on getting started with Python programming are great and have some very interesting examples.

It even goes on to explain how some of the currently available add-on boards work and why you might want them.

This book is just too packed full of information for me to possibly comment on every part of it (look at the TOC!), so I'll wrap up by saying, BUY IT!

Expert Shield - THE Screen Protector for: Samsung Galaxy SIII S3 *Lifetime Guarantee*
Offered by Expert Shield

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Customer Service, 13 Sep 2012
UPDATED REVIEW

Since posting my original review, I was contacted by Expert Shield and offered a replacement. While I can't say that the original shield I received was faulty, I did manage to make a better job of it second time around. I have left my original review below for reference, but in light of the excellent customer service I have received I felt it right to update my review.

Having spoken to Expert Shield I am now happy to say that it is worth paying the extra for this product. It was explained to me that the rounded shape of the S3 means that the shield has to be made to fit the screen exactly (note my previous comment about it being a very tight fit) so that the edges do not curl up and cause the shield to be peeled off entirely. They also offer a true lifetime guarantee on the shield and this is really where your extra money goes. They assure me that once the shield becomes ruined they will replace it if you contact them (apparently, that's why many manual workers favour their product!). If that is the case, and I do believe them, then £8.50 for a lifetime of shields is extremely reasonable.

Thank you Expert Shield for the excellent service you provided, despite my initial hold backs, I would now recommend you to a friend and will use your products again in future.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
I have tried to review this product on Expert Shield's own website but it mysteriously never made it through (funny that, the reviews that are on the site are all 4 or 5 stars!)

I am seriously disappointed in this screen protector. For £8.50 (inc. delivery) I expected a lot more.

Pros:
* High quality material, feels much sturdier than cheap "10 for £1" screen protectors

Cons:
* Barely covers the screen, leaving very little room for error when fitting, resulting in having to refit it and gathering more dust each time
* Very raised around the edges, I'm certain it'll soon peel off due to having to swipe my thumb over the top of it for the notification bar (that's the same on ALL Android phones!)
* Mine has not stuck properly around the edges, it's raised around the home button
* Shows up fingerprints and smudges much more than the bear screen does
* No squeegee provided for fitting (premium products usually do as it makes removing air bubbles much easier; credit cards can scratch!)
* As with all dry fitting screen protectors, dust is a major problem and you will get air bubbles from even the tiniest speck, which unless you have the luxury of an air tight lab and bio-hazard suit, you WILL get!

I give it 2 stars because it is clearly a better quality material than the cheap ones, but it suffers from all the same problems despite Expert Shield's promises to the contrary
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2012 2:56 PM BST

Flow Free
Flow Free

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and free, 5 Sep 2012
This review is from: Flow Free (App)
Can't ask for much more! Easy to get the hang of but with a good difficulty curve. it is ad supported, but these never get in the way of the game like many others and are non intrusive. Well worth a download!

AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR Cameras and Accessories Black
AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR Cameras and Accessories Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, cheap camera backpack, 18 July 2012
I bought this pack a few months ago and use it regularly. There is plenty of space inside for me to fit:
- A Canon 40D with 17-85mm lens attached
- An Olympus OM2n with 50mm lens attached
- A canon 50mm lens
- An Olympus 100mm lens
- An Olympus 21mm Lens
- An Olympus 50mm Macro lens
- filters, shutter releases, a few spare rolls of film and spare batteries for both cameras
- my keys, wallet and a couple of magazines

The pack is also quite comfortable to wear, with padded shoulder straps and back. You can get rather sweaty wearing this all day due to lack of air-flow, but that's something you have to expect from such a cheap bag.

My only complaint is that the quality of the zips is not excellent; I have already lost one of the zips (it fell off on the first day). The pack itself feels sturdy though and the padded sections inside are attached with strong velcro so can be moved around to suit your gear.

However, for this price, I would recommend this pack to the keen amateur on a budget (like myself!)

Hama 49mm Variable Neutral Density Filter
Hama 49mm Variable Neutral Density Filter

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, cheap variable ND filter, 18 July 2012
I've owned and used this filter for a few months now and it's OK for the price; it does the job.

The reason I give this 3 stars is due to a couple of small annoyances:
- The markings on the filter ring are pointless, they do not appear to give any kind of accurate measure as to how many stops the filter is set to, so you have to do this by eye and using your camera's meter
- On wide angle lenses, you get some bad vignetting with this filter, it's simply not wide/shallow enough to be completely hidden from the lens (on my 35mm camera, I get vignetting with a 21mm lens which amounts to roughly 16mm on a crop sensor camera)
- as with all variable ND's, at the extreme end of the scale you will get strange patterns and uneven exposure. I suspect a more expensive filter may have something in place to stop you reaching this extreme along with accurate markings, although I have not used one so cannot say for sure

If you're looking for a cheap variable ND this will do the job, just be careful how you use it

Page: 1 | 2