Profile for G. R. Townsend > Reviews

Content by G. R. Townsend

G. R. Townsend "voice of moscow" (moscow russia)

The Russian Origins of the First World War
The Russian Origins of the First World War
by Sean Mcmeekin
Price: 12.71

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing perspective on the origins of the first world war, 27 May 2013
Western histories on the origins of the war tend to use a very western European perspective; a tinder box of Central Powers vs Triple Entente with Sarajevo as the spark; and German agression demonstrated by the Schlieffen plan. The Russian and Turkish angles are played down. In this account we have the view that Russia really wanted a war with Turkey to meet its long-standing desire to control the Straits; and the Russian mobilisation started early. Russia is shown to be very much prioritising the achievement of its aims before the general aims of the Entente.

Wagner: Lohengrin  (Bayreuth Festival 2011) (Opus Arte: OA1071D) [DVD] [2012] [NTSC]
Wagner: Lohengrin (Bayreuth Festival 2011) (Opus Arte: OA1071D) [DVD] [2012] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Georg Zeppenfeld
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 22.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb, 22 Sep 2012
I was lucky enough to get tickets to see this production in Bayreuth this year, and I wanted something to remember it by.

I like to watch Mezzo TV, and often they use Arte films. Furthermore, it is possible to watch extracts on YouTube. So I knew what I was buying.

As always in Bayreuth, the music and the singing are absolutely superb, and the production is "interesting". In this production we have a hero (Jonas Kaufmann) and heroine (Annette Dasch) who are beautiful physically as well as in voice. I am not really sure that I know why the citizens of Brabant are dressed as rats, but they are very colourful rats. Indeed, the whole production is extremely colourful. Samuel Youn as the Heerrufer is outstanding and I can imagine that he would have excelled as the stand-in Hollaender this year. The end of the production - with the hatching of the swan's egg - is both shocking and fascinating.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2012 6:43 AM BST

Bach: Brandenburg Concertos [DVD] [2006]
Bach: Brandenburg Concertos [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Frieberger Barockorchester
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brandenburg concertos, 9 Jan 2011
Absolutely magical.

I bought this for my seven-year old son so that he could see which instruments make each sound. He was captivated.

Stravinsky/Bolshoi Ballet/Moscow Ballet - Petrushka/The Rite of Spring [DVD] [1990]
Dvd ~ Stravinsky
Price: 22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Bolshoi - Petrushka, 9 Jan 2011
I bought this for nostalgic reasons; in an early trip to Russia in 1991 I saw this production as part of a triple bill at the Bolshoi. Not only was it my first trip to the Bolshoi, but it was also the first time I had seen Petrushka performed as a ballet rather as opposed to a concert production. I was enchanted.

The DVD is a bit "aged", but the performances are beautiful.