Profile for Billy R > Reviews

Content by Billy R

Billy R (Newcastle - England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Besdata® For Apple iPad mini Magnetic Smart Cover Stand + Hard Back Case Free Stylus - Supreme Quality - Protects the Device - UK Stock - Silver- PT2508
Offered by OSAN_MALL

5.0 out of 5 stars To notch product/service., 16 Jun. 2014
Excellent product and although it came damaged one exchange of emails and a photo later a replacement was on its way! It arrived two days later and fits perfectly.
Definitely recommend this.

New York Subway Map
New York Subway Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and simple to use, 17 Feb. 2014
This review is from: New York Subway Map (App)
I looked at several before deciding on this and I cannot recommend it enough! The route option is especially helpful.

iZKA®  - Amazon Kindle FIRE HD 7 inch (2012 Version) Leather Case Cover and Flip Stand Cover Typing Case with Magnetic Sleep Wake Sensor + Screen Protector + Stylus Pen Touch Screen Pen Accessory Pack - Brown
iZKA® - Amazon Kindle FIRE HD 7 inch (2012 Version) Leather Case Cover and Flip Stand Cover Typing Case with Magnetic Sleep Wake Sensor + Screen Protector + Stylus Pen Touch Screen Pen Accessory Pack - Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and far cheaper than similar cases, 27 Aug. 2013
This is the second such case I have purchased. Good quality and value.

I would recommend this to any one thinking about a good value case.

The Ghost Runner: The Tragedy of the Man They Couldn't Stop
The Ghost Runner: The Tragedy of the Man They Couldn't Stop
by Bill Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Red Tape' rules!, 15 Aug. 2011
The statement in any review that, 'I could not put this down after starting it' is often a hint to look elsewhere but in this case, I have to agree with the review I read in one of the broadsheets - this does warrant that phrase.
Having lived in the years where the likes of Crump and Gold ruled with a rod of iron and a fist of rule books (and good quality food/drink) I can understand how something so trifling (now) appeared so set in stone (then).
Tarrant is s strange character drawing sympathy in some areas and in others, appearing to be a total bore and a man possessed with his 'ban' but what you can feel is his passion to overcome the obstacles placed in his way.
Although aware of his story at the time I did not know of his South African ventures and his importance in the development of the black SA runners. He may have been seen as a pawn but with his blinkered approach it is obvious he never saw that - he was there to run and to win his own 'Holy Grail'.

Dead at an early age, clearly from the linings on his lungs from one of his jobs, it is hard to believe that even until the end he was regarded by the hierarchy as a 'nuisance'.
A fantastic read even for those who do not often pick up a 'sports book' - this is more than that!!!

Chasing After Ghosts
Chasing After Ghosts

4.0 out of 5 stars Even better live......, 31 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Chasing After Ghosts (Audio CD)
I had the good fortune to have heard the CD prior to their recent trip to The Cluny in Newcastle so was interested to see if they came up to the CD standards in a live gig.
I need not have worried - they were even better and it was probably the most enjoyable small gig I have been to so far in 2011 with their interpretation of the songs spot on.
References in the 'Music Press' to Belle & Sebastian are on the mark but the delivery of the lead singer has a touch of The Maccabees about him.
A superb album with few (if any) disappointing tracks and the highlight for me being '1922' although I could easily have selected any of the first few tracks.
I liked them!!!!!!!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2011 4:54 PM BST

Welcome Back Colour
Welcome Back Colour

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best female singer around.............., 22 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Welcome Back Colour (Audio CD)
I have to nail my colours to the mast quickly and have done so in the 'title'!

This yet another superb album from TD - some old, some new etc but all to the standard we have come to expect of her now.

The frightening things is that she is even better live so anyone lucky enugh to have her appearing close to them in her 2011 tour do yourself a massive favour and get along - even I am considering travelling to Manchester or Birmingham to catch her.

Her voice continues to glide effortlessly through the 2 discs and to give the impression of it all coming so naturally to her - I am sure it is not the case but it just seems that way.

For any TD fan - buy it.
For any non TD fan - try it

Forget
Forget

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprise little gem!, 11 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Forget (Audio CD)
George Lewis Jnr is obviously an 'interesting' character if we were to believe all of the information paraded on various websites but apart from knowing of his Surfer Blood (supporting Interpol)link, I had relied on these very websites for glimpses of his music.

A touch of soul, a touch of Morrissey, a touch of Beach Boys - definitely a hard act to tie down to a specific genre but this really is a little gem and a surprise gem at that - NME gave it what I consider to be a well judged review this week.

If you want to go back a bit into the 80s (in a nice way) I would recommend this highly.

Give it a whirl as I am fairly confident you will not be disappointed!

Orchard
Orchard
Offered by Music-Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Not The Rhumb Line but a worthy effort!, 10 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Orchard (Audio CD)
Having had the chance to see Ra Ra Riot on two occasions I was pleasantly surprised to see that their set was not built entirely around The Rhumb Line - an album I felt was one of the highlights of last year.

The follow up is not as immediately catching as The Rhumb Line but it is still well worth a listen as their musical talents are (again) fully demonstrated on this album.

There are no stand out tracks this time but possibly, the overall album is more pleasing on the ear - if you liked the first one I am sure you will not be disappointed!

Columbine
Columbine

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Danish gem!, 27 May 2010
This review is from: Columbine (Audio CD)
I came across this entirely by accident after a recommedation that, 'it seems to be the sort of singer you like'!
As a fan of Tina Dico I could not believe there was another female singer nearly as good as her and from the same country.
This is an absolute gem from start to finish as she demonstrates a superb voice to nearly match Dico - I am amzed that the two of them get so little attention from the record buying (and playing) public when compared to the plethora of 'new females' around at present.
If you can get your hands on this at a repectable price you will not be disappointed.
A bit more upbeat at times that Tina Dico but equally as good in terms of her vocal dexterity.
Loved it from the first listen!

It's My Life! 1960s Newcastle
It's My Life! 1960s Newcastle
by Anna Flowers

5.0 out of 5 stars You do not have to be over 60 to enjoy it - honest!, 7 May 2010
There are any number of books or articles covering Newcastle in the 60,s but a lot of them fall short as they never seem to match up to my re-collections of the time but this just hits the spot perfectly.
A tremendous book with matching photos that highlight the times, shops, fashion and music in and around 'the toon' and it brought back memories as though it was yesterday that Marcus Price etc was the place to shop and the Go Go was the club to see the likes of Zoot Money, Hendrix, Chris Farlowe and the Stones not to mention an 'attempted' live LP with Garnett Mimms - whatever happened to that?
B & W photos are always perfect at identifying the scenes and atmosphere and they are at their best in this publication - I have no doubt that anything of my ilk will find their kids looking through this to see what we 'got up to' in those days when we were in our teens!
Looking at the ticket stubs I can recall being at some of the gigs and can even recognise a couple of faces from the book.
A real gem worthy of purchase by anyone who knocked around the town in those years and who has seen the town change (not always for the better - it is not just a case of 'living in the past' but more of a remembering the past.
Life did exist before the Academy, the Cluny and Eldon Square - honest!
Just buy it and make sure all the family read it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3