Profile for J. K. Siddorn > Reviews

Content by J. K. Siddorn

J. K. Siddorn (Bristol, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Gettysburg (Double sided DVD) [1993]
Gettysburg (Double sided DVD) [1993]
Dvd ~ Tom Berenger
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Read about this battle first to have some hope of understanding it!, 13 Oct. 2015
Using thousands of dedicated re-enactors and a few well known beards - sorry, actors! - tell the sad, bloody, mismanaged story of brave men set to do their duty. It's very complex and will need several watchings to get your head round it..

I was a bit nervous about the double sided DVD but it plays just fine in my cheapo DVD player.

The Man Who Would Be King [DVD] [1975]
The Man Who Would Be King [DVD] [1975]
Dvd ~ Sean Connery
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Kipling would be proud of it, 13 Oct. 2015
Rollicking good yarn based on a Kipling novel. Connery and Caine and other well known actors carry the whole thing off with great good humour.

Robin and Marian [DVD] [1976] [2002]
Robin and Marian [DVD] [1976] [2002]
Dvd ~ Sean Connery
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars good job well done!, 13 Oct. 2015
Here's an old friend with performances from consummate professionals have read the script front to back, get on together and pursue it to its stand up hand clapping conclusion. Definitely one not to miss!

The Stone Man - A Science Fiction Thriller
The Stone Man - A Science Fiction Thriller

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete stuff and nonsense. Avoid., 13 Oct. 2015
Absolutely dreadful. If I could, I'd leave it negative stars and ask for my money back. The premis of the plot is witless in the extreme, the sort of thing you come up with in a "How about a story about ...." When a good few Fosters have clouded the brain.

There are important questions never addressed.

Why do the Stone men only appear in Coventry? Coventry, for Gods sake. If the unseen, unknown, fools of aliens have the ability to dump these daft humanoid (why humanoid?) monsters here to pick up what their are after for their project, why not do so next to the unsuspecting doner? Why humanoid? Seen "The Day The Earth Stood Still" once too often I suspect.

I could go on and on and on, much as the author does for page after unlikely page looking for some shred of motivation. I've bought lots of books on Kindle, read science fiction for over sixty years and The Stone Man can be clearly heard rattling along the bottom of the barrel.

Analysis of The Martian: Analysis of the Andy Weir Novel
Analysis of The Martian: Analysis of the Andy Weir Novel

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed., 10 Oct. 2015
Not impressed. I read it after the novel and whilst I don't fault the crit. per se, I don't think it would have improved the enjoyment I got from reading The Martian. Might be useful for the non technical reader, I suppose, but why would such a person have been attracted to The Martian in the first place? Perilously thin too! I wish I'd saved my money, frankly.

The Martian
The Martian

5.0 out of 5 stars Good science (mostly), good storytelling, good plot., 29 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Martian (Kindle Edition)
Aside from the first dust storm which is pure fiction - because of the very thin atmosphere, a 100 mph wind on Mars would equate to an 11 mph wind on earth in destructive force - the science is really very good. To some extent, it lightly relies upon a few advances in our capabilities, but generally the engineering isn't stretched to anywhere near breaking point. In particular, the orbital mechanics are flawlessly worked out and just as much a frustrating bind as they would be in real life.

Setting aside the science, it's a rattling good yarn and you really do need to turn the page to follow the adventures of the loneliest man to have ever existed (sic!). Have no fear, it isn't all hyp, it really is a good story. Go buy it!

The Nano Flower (Greg Mandel Book 3)
The Nano Flower (Greg Mandel Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Hey nano no, I don't think so., 6 July 2015
We've moved on about fifteen years from the previous work and Britain's financial mastery of the earth proceeds apace. I find this aspect of the trilogy a bit hard to accept and the power and money associated with this ascendency seems to me to be very contrived, spoiling the run of the story. Then there's the alien, a construct which just makes me shake my head. And I've read SF of all kinds for 65 years .....

A Quantum Murder (Greg Mandel Book 2)
A Quantum Murder (Greg Mandel Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Hero survives no matter - or energy - what!, 6 July 2015
It's very well written, but I fear the conclusion is not very convincing, the hero surviving against all the dads and perhaps the laws of physics! I can't say too much about the murder itself or the murderer without giving away the quite simplistic - within the concepts of the story - plot.

It was a good read though.....

Mindstar Rising (Greg Mandel Book 1)
Mindstar Rising (Greg Mandel Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, well plotted, 28 Jun. 2015
Excellent book, well plotted, hard to see how he can get out of it but does so in convincing and satisfying fashion. Recommended as ar the other two in this series.

A Second Chance at Eden
A Second Chance at Eden

5.0 out of 5 stars Good but short., 20 Jun. 2015
Good series of timelined short stories. Trouble is, each of them is rather short for the subject and one might think each is a wasted opportunity!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8