Profile for Adam Whitworth > Reviews

Content by Adam Whitworth

Adam Whitworth (uk)

Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars variations, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Goldberg Variations (Audio CD)
The variations sound natural and comfortable on the organ. After hearing the variaitons on harp and by string ensemble this new angle brings more insights than either. Of course the sustain of notes on organ compared with piano is a crucial difference and this intriguing comparison makes the organ version valuable, it also changes the complexion of some variations dramatically, making them enjoyably fresh. I must admit at some points as I thoroughly enjoyed the entertaining music, like a delightful pianola on a heavenly carousel, I forgot it was actually the Goldbergs I was listening to!

5.0 out of 5 stars goldberg variations, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: Goldberg Variations (Audio CD)
The variations sound completely at home on the organ, I'm surprised they're not presented this way more often. They appear refreshingly different this way- at times I was surprised to remember that the great music I was listening to was the goldberg variations! Brilliant, the organ has never sounded so good!

Bach Sinfonia
Bach Sinfonia
Price: 16.61

5.0 out of 5 stars cantatatastic, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: Bach Sinfonia (Audio CD)
Stunning exuberance throughout this disc; the energy is remarkable, it is best played loud! A crowd of different voices, from organ through various strings to trumpet are all keen to get involved in this compelling selection of excerpts from the cantatas. These lesser known pieces from J.S. Bach are a welcome addition to my Bach collection.

Ethics: Twelve Lectures on the Philosophy of Morality
Ethics: Twelve Lectures on the Philosophy of Morality
by David Wiggins
Price: 18.81

3.0 out of 5 stars for experts only, 29 July 2012
I've enjoyed this book but can't honestly say I've understood much of it; way over my flat-topped head! not 4 beginners.

Albinoni: Sonate da chiesa Op 4; Trattenimenti Armonici Op 6 /Locatelli Trio
Albinoni: Sonate da chiesa Op 4; Trattenimenti Armonici Op 6 /Locatelli Trio
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 26.95

3.0 out of 5 stars musical cardigans, 29 July 2012
Opus 4, with organ accompaniment and opus 6, with harpsichord accompaniment are mingled together across the 2 discs. I would have preferred to hear them separately but no problem really.

Practical Ethics
Practical Ethics
by Peter Singer

4.0 out of 5 stars No sitting on the fence!, 23 May 2012
This review is from: Practical Ethics (Paperback)
Peter Singer reaches his conclusions, many controversial, through careful deliberation. Whether you agree or disagree with Peter on the variety of topics discussed, the book is sure to spark fierce argument. Peter's position is clearly presented and robustly defended, it is a challenge for those holding contrary opinions to prove their case.
I would call Peter a 'utilitarian' and here he is showing us what this equates to in real life. This is in contrast to the academic waffle that makes up the majority of ethics books.

Trio Sonatas (London Baroque)
Trio Sonatas (London Baroque)
Price: 14.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 8 May 2012
One of my favourite CD's; some of the most wonderful music on earth and the performance is exquisite. I fancy Bach's trio sonatas were originally written as organ solos and having heard them that way I can only say how thankful I am for these transcriptions. I also have the sonatas played on guitar and harpsichord, that is pleasant but this album by London Baroque is so stunning. I know I'll never tire of it and I play it often.

Handel: Trio Sonatas, Op.2
Handel: Trio Sonatas, Op.2
Offered by unknown_pleasures
Price: 16.73

5.0 out of 5 stars A captivating fascination, 8 May 2012
I feel compelled to listen to this music frequently and I'm trying to understand why I like it so much. The entire opus has an intriguing ambience of its own & has none of the usual Handel 'pomposity' but is engaging and memorable. It is interesting to compare this set of trio sonatas with J.S.Bach's set of trio sonatas. Incidentally, these are written trio sonatas- handel's opus 5 trios are in fact cobbled together from opera & ballet passages etc.

Albinoni: Sinfonie a Cinque, Op. 2
Albinoni: Sinfonie a Cinque, Op. 2
Price: 14.38

4.0 out of 5 stars pleasant and delightful, 30 Aug 2011
A very good recording of some of Albinoni's best music. No oboes here, a fine string ensemble at work. It's really quite the epitome of baroque music- a busy interaction of voices, fugal elements, exquisite harmonies, a few astounding slow mvts and a few strutting fast ones. This could be heard many many times over and become a favourite for fans of the baroque.