Profile for Mrs. Karen Van Zon > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Karen Van Zon

Mrs. Karen Van Zon "KvZ" (Fife, Scotland)

Angry Birds Reusable 3rd Generation Removable Art Decal Wall Stickers V1 from Wall Stickers Warehouse
Offered by CE Imports (UK Seller)

1.0 out of 5 stars Fell off almost immedaitely., 9 Sept. 2013
I hate leaving negative reviews but felt I had to warn parents that these decals are fairly rubbish and left my son very upset as his new prized wall decor peeled off the walls in front of his eyes, despite desperate attempts by him and his brother to smooth them back on to the wall...
This looked utterly amazing - came off the backing paper no problems and were easy to apply. However, they just kept lifting off of the wall.
I had in my head that these cost about £15 but I see now that they only cost £1.70 - maybe a case of get what you pay for...

For what it's worth, I applied them to walls painted a few months ago with Matt paint. Maybe if they were stuck on to a shiny melamine wardrobe door or gloss paint, they would have stuck better.

18 Memo Notice Board Fridge Coloured Magnets
18 Memo Notice Board Fridge Coloured Magnets
Offered by A2Zquality

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry but awful... :-(, 26 July 2012
First time I've left a negative review but these items are awful.
They aren't strong enough to hold more than one sheet of paper, in fact, I need two of them to hold up one piece of paper.
The actual magnet has fallen out of two of them already - we've only had them a week or so.
I think I will have to bin them as the loose magnets are a major risk with small kids in the house.
Not sure if it's just a case of "get what you pay for" but very, very disappointing nonetheless.

Premier 3-Tier Chrome Hanging Baskets, 28 cm Diameter x 71 cm Height
Premier 3-Tier Chrome Hanging Baskets, 28 cm Diameter x 71 cm Height

5.0 out of 5 stars Baskets great - chains awful!, 20 Dec. 2011
We have owned a similar hanging basket for years and, after chasing fruit around the kitchen for a couple of years, we replaced the chains with stronger chain from a DIY store. That basket set is still going strong after ten years.

Well, this particular basket set from Amazon needed exactly the same treatment. The first time I hung the new basket, there was a fruit cascade. Melons rolling under the table, pineapples concussing the toddler, satsumas raining down on the cats...

Off to the DIY store, replaced the chains with weight-worthy chain and, voila, another sturdy basket set, ready to hold (the other half of) a week's worth of fruit for a family of six.

I've still given this five stars because, even with the flimsy chains, the product is what I would expect for £7.55. The baskets will last for years. I bought this months ago now and there's no sign of corrosion or rust on the chrome and none of the wires have warped. Just bought another set for my veg and bread, that's how much I like it.

Clears the worktops, keeps the bananas' toxic gases away from the other fruits and stops the melons squashing the kiwis.

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend
Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend
by Jenny Colgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually made me laugh out loud..., 13 Aug. 2010
This was a great book. The story is about a rich, spoilt (sp? spoiled), almost-It girl who loses it all (maybe temporarily). She moves in with a flat full of men - art students, a soldier and a Wolverine and learns how to, well, get a life.
I actually felt myself choking up with laughter a few times - the loo cleaning episode had me spluttering for ages...
The dialogue never feels false and the story seemed completely possible (not always the case in chick-lit).
Definitely worth a read - I'm off to find more of Jenny Colgan's from the library now.

The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes
The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes
by Jennifer Crusie

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely little tale, 2 Aug. 2010
I just finished this and I loved it.
First, to address the other reviews.
Three different authors - I wouldn't have known there were three writers and I'm not sure how they did it - a sister each? Anyway, it didn't jar at all and flowed very nicely. I've loved Jennifer Crusie for years and there are classic Crusie elements to this but I'll probably have a look at the other two authors now just to suss them out.
A "silly" storyline? Well, I have to point out that I'm not averse to supernatural storylines (I still mourn Buffy and Angel). I've never read any of the "magic" LBD books but I think I will be hunting them down. The "magic" in this book was just a vehicle for some fab scenes, imagery (embroidered butterflies flying back to the curtains) and one-liners ("So, we bolt the bed down...?"). I haven't laughed so much with a book for ages.

I'm not a book snob and I am happily devouring LBD books (mostly Rachel Gibson) at the moment. For a bit of escapism, laugh out loud moments, strong heroines and macho-yet-honourable men, this is perfect.

Ten Terrible Dinosaurs PB
Ten Terrible Dinosaurs PB
by Paul Stickland

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun book for dino-loving pre-schoolers, 28 Jan. 2010
This is a nice book for my three year old. He loves all things dino so hard to tell if this book is particularly good or just in favour because it features dinosaurs.
The dinosaurs aren't recognisable as any particular species of dinosaurs - they're just generally dinosaur-ish, so they are quite sweet and funny looking.
The rhyme that you read isn't the best rhyme ever but it makes my three year old laugh so good enough.
All in all, a nice addition to our growing collection of dinosaur books.

My First Jumbo Book of Dinosaurs (Little Scholastic)
My First Jumbo Book of Dinosaurs (Little Scholastic)
by James Diaz

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book for pre-schoolers, 28 Jan. 2010
This book is an absolute delight. It has textured areas, pop-ups and lift the flaps, all of which my three year old and his two year old sister love at the moment. It is sturdily made - end of January and no rips of tears in this Christmas present which is great for a book with moving parts.
There aren't lots of details for each dinosaur - just the name, usually. However, my three year old can't read and I know enough basic facts to pad the book out if he aks questions.
Definitely a great purchase for a dino-loving pre-schooler!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2013 11:10 AM GMT

Pingu 12" Wheel Bike
Pingu 12" Wheel Bike

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabby wee bike, 9 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Pingu 12" Wheel Bike (Sports)
This bike is a lovely wee bike and our three year old son loves it. I wanted to avoid the usual Thomas etc bikes so this one was different (also, it will do our daughter after our son is finished with it as it is acceptably "pretty".)

Positives: unusual colours and character; very rigid, strong stabilisers; a solid frame.

Negatives: brakes are SO stiff that he can't use them yet - I can barely squeeze them shut; the dashboard/screen thing at the front broke off on his first go but he did collide with his cousin (see brake problem above ;-).

Loses a star for the too stiff brakes (which my husband, who is Dutch and was almost born on a bike, says he is unable to loosen.)