Profile for Daniel Chapman > Reviews

Content by Daniel Chapman

Daniel Chapman "daniels_stuff" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Yerself Is Steam
Yerself Is Steam

5.0 out of 5 stars sublime, 8 Oct 2002
This review is from: Yerself Is Steam (Audio CD)
One of those rare albums which could sincerely be describe as transcendental- an album of pyschedelic rock which is truly epic in depth.

The music is truly unlike anything you'll ever hear. The songs seem to float from your speakers and fill the room with smoky atmospheres, you'll feel like you're wading through the room. But as your head is filled with hazy melodies, a soaring guitar riff, pounding percussion beat or delicate flute section will emerge which fills your heart enough to burst. But while 'Yerself Is Steam' succeeds in being vague and dense, it still has the tunes in rock-out moments like 'syringe mouth' and 'Coney Island Cyclone'.

The lyrics are richly bizarre and manage to be enigmatic ('I need pink, I need cream. I need someone who sews up seams'), hilarious ('space control uh...it's out there, I better get my pants back on. My mom is coming over') or profoundly moving ('And you wonder why I leave so soon/ I get so high then sink/ to the bottom of your room').
The words can mean nothing, everything or both at once and are simply perfect.

As with each Rev release, there isn't another album which sounds anything like this- even other Rev records. Listening to this will make you a better person.

Autechre
Autechre

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool, 9 Aug 2002
This review is from: Autechre (Audio CD)
Sorry, but I just didn't find this album difficult at all. I'm rather amazed that everyone found this such a 'grower' they had to hear multiple times to appreciate. Maybe it's because I bought Confield before this one (By-the-by, if you found this album too 'avant-garde' to tolerate, then I wouldn't go anywhere near Confield- if LP5 is is 'taxing', then I don't know what Confield is).
Original and quite warm, with some cool beats and charming interludes, this is probably the last Ae album that you could tap your foot along with the music. These are some great tunes.
Maybe I've just been listening to alternative/electro for too long, but I'd say the 'difficulty' of LP5 is over-exaggerated. This is simply a unique and groovy slice of electro-jazz. Worth a look, but I'd agree it isn't one to start with: try Amber or Tri Repetae first.

Ep7
Ep7
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have CD, 4 July 2002
This review is from: Ep7 (Audio CD)
First of all, forget the title- 'EP7' is no EP at all at more than 60+ minutes of music.
Secondly, the material is easily some of Ae's best work, combining the difficulty of later works with the accessiblity of their earlier stuff. It really is a superb listen.
Forget the [single] tab, this is an album crucial for any fan of Autechre.

Page: 1 | 2