Profile for D. Edwards > Reviews

Content by D. Edwards

D. Edwards (Dumfries)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Nokia Lumia 630 UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Windows, 4.5-inch, 8GB)
Nokia Lumia 630 UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Windows, 4.5-inch, 8GB)

5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice, practical phone, 10 Sep 2014
I dropped my Lumia 620 and broke the screen and got this as a replacement. Doesn't feel quite so sturdy as the 620 but then it is a lot cheaper! The battery certainly lasts longer (plus I went into Battery Saver and made sure programs couldn't run in the background, which eats up a lot of power). I'm loving the bigger screen (but not too big for a pocket). It has fewer features: no forward facing camera (my wife won't be able to see me when I Skype her), no flash and you can't wake up the phone by double tapping the screen but something had to be dropped for this price and I guess it all helps reduce battery drain too. Screen seems very clear and the phone is responsive. Loving the microSD card that I can load with loads of music, and also the fact it has a built in FM radio so I can listen to Radio 4 on the train. Painlessly re-installed all my apps from my Windowsphone.com account so setting it up was a doddle. There do seem to be more and more apps produced for Windows phones now so at this price point I certainly do not feel the need to investigate Android or very expensive Apple phones. Plus if I drop it again, it's not going to break the bank.

Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery
Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely enjoyable and thought provoking, 12 Aug 2014
An incredibly well written, brutally honest book that I think should be recommended reading for everyone who is about to be operated on and everyone who has criticised the NHS or a doctor. He opens the door onto a world that is vitally important to all of us and yet is poorly understood by most people. What an incredibly difficult, and often misunderstood, job he does. It takes a rare collection of qualities to do what he does and I can see that doesn't always coincide with a warm, empathetic personality: some of the best surgeons can have the worst interpersonal skills. He clearly is a very compassionate man but has to hide it under layers of self-protecting shell. I'm not medical, and not a great reader of biographies, but I found this a hard-to-put-down read. My wife IS medical and it has helped me understand what she goes through and much of what he says about management and NHS culture chimes with her so I have no doubt he is being fair. Whatever. It's simply a great read, well written, and full of all sorts of insights.

Billion BiPAC 7800N Dual WAN ADSL2+/Broadband Wireless-N Gigabit Firewall Modem Router

5.0 out of 5 stars Big improvement on my old Belkin wireless modem router on a poor landline, 15 May 2014
My Belkin router was fine but a little old so I bought this router with the intention of then using my Belkin as a spare so I would always have a backup in the event of problems in the future. The Billion set up was straightforward and it worked right off the bat, and w/o me playing around and 'tweaking' it my BB is 20% faster. Bonus! I'm in the country a long way from the exchange and this seems to cope with my dodgy line much better e.g. my BB doesn't drop when the phone rings now.

My two top tips:
1. Set it up w/o the ADSL cable plugged in, so that any router restarts don't 'de-train' the line speed profile you've built up (thanks to one of the other reviewers here for that!).
2. I surf using Google Chrome so using Ctrl-P and a pdf print driver, I saved to my HDD screen prints of all the setup pages of my old router so that I could open the pdfs and ensure I was entering the same setup info into the Billion router.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I dug deep to buy this, 24 Feb 2013
The expense of UW lenses has put me off for years but a once in a lifetime trip to Antarctica gave me the kick up the pants to invest in one. Man, I should have done it years ago. This is a great lens that has let me take fantastic shots that are really sharp and zingy. It is just gorgeous. Don't make my mistake of delaying for years: buy it! It's changed how I approach landscapes and lets me show detail within the wider context, and I love the depth of field.

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Lens
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Lens
Offered by Audio_Shack

5.0 out of 5 stars Good lens, great service from Amazon but don't fit a filter!!, 30 Sep 2012
I used it for a few weeks and felt my pictures weren't as crisp as they could be. I contacted Amazon who immediately sent me a replacement lens free of charge. I took test photos with both lenses and sure enough, the new lens was much crisper when viewing my images at 100% on my PC. Sent the original one back, swapped my protective Hoya multicoated UV filter from the original lens to the new one and snapped away. But image quality had deteriorated again! The penny dropped. I took off the filter and image quality improved: it had never been a lens problem but a filter one. I've used SLRs for 20 years and always put skylight or uv filters on my lenses to protect them, and probably still will for my other lenses. I've ordered a roll down rubber hood to provide some protection instead for the front of this lens. The use of filters or not is hotly debated in photo circles but ultimately comes down to personal preference. For me, for this lens though, it's clear a filter is a bad thing based on my experience. Just thought I'd share this in case you have the same problem and think the lens is creating 'soft' images.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2014 6:39 PM GMT

Landscape of Desire: Identity & Nature in Utah's Canyon Country
Landscape of Desire: Identity & Nature in Utah's Canyon Country
by Greg Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars Found this in my library, but had to have my own copy, 24 Jan 2012
I've worked and travelled in this part of the US, and this book has been a revelation. Beautifully written, using the vehicle of a college field trip, it explores what wilderness means, environmental and conservation concerns and how the human psyche interacts with wilderness. I got it for research purposes but ended up reading it for pleasure. It's made me yearn to go back and sensitised me to ideas that have added value to the already great returns I got from travelling in this part of the world. Who should buy this? Those who lead field trips, outdoors people who want to look at wilderness in new ways, and those going to visit the area who want to get under its skin.

Grand Canyon National Park: A Natural History Guide
Grand Canyon National Park: A Natural History Guide
by Jeremy Schmidt

5.0 out of 5 stars As recommended by Grand Canyon park rangers, 24 Jan 2012
I had the great good fortune to work for a short time at the Grand Canyon National Park as a ranger. I was given the first few weeks to learn as much as I could about the park so I could answer visitor's questions. This is the book my supervisor recommended to help me become an expert. A nice read but full of useful information, with a lightness of touch. This will help you realise what a fascinating place GC is and you will get a lot more from any visit if you've used this to inform you first.

WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB Black Portable Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0)
WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB Black Portable Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0)

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed within 48 hours, 14 Sep 2011
Within 48 hours it was pot luck whether my laptop could see the drive when I wanted to view or copy files across. Kept having to reboot laptop to be able to see it. A lot of 'clicking' as the laptop tried to see the drive. A pain. I returned it to Amazon who gave me a speedy refund.

Zaragon
Zaragon

4.0 out of 5 stars A talented guy, 2 Jun 2010
This review is from: Zaragon (Audio CD)
I remember briefly having this album in vinyl over 30 years ago. Nice man Jack, and Zaragon were the standout tracks for me. Great to reacquaint myself with it on CD. The first 5 tracks are pleasant (I remember being underwhelmed by them in my teens - they weren't 'rocky' enough) but actually they seem to have their own charm now, with 'Overture' being my favourite of them. But Nice Man Jack is still the killer: as has been said before, crank your stereo up for this one and then start air guitaring like a loon. Storming.

Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 5000 Grey
Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 5000 Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, and built for big hands, 3 May 2010
Used a Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2 for years. When it started getting erratic it was time to get a new one. This 5000 mouse is exactly the same mouse. It's great for big hands (I'm 6'7"): most mice are too small for me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3