Profile for HH > Reviews

The Little Book of Mindfulness
by Tiddy Rowan
Price: 3.83

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book to keep close at hand, 22 Dec 2013
A very accessible little book with something different on every page. It certainly increases the mindful moments in everyday life.

Earth and Space: Book 2 (S104 Exploring Science, Science Level 1)
Earth and Space: Book 2 (S104 Exploring Science, Science Level 1)
by Stephen Blake

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to these topics, 5 Sep 2013
I bought this to make sure that I had covered the relevant ground to be able to embark on a level 2 Open University course. As someone who has not done a lot of science study in recent years I found that this met my needs very well - it is both clear and interesting.

Rosie's Magic Horse
Rosie's Magic Horse
by Russell Hoban
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, magical and funny., 17 April 2013
This review is from: Rosie's Magic Horse (Hardcover)
I was lucky enough to see Quentin Blake's original art work for the cover of this book at a recent exhibition at the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge. Inspired by this, I read the story and loved it. It's beautifully quirky. I think it will appeal to girls and boys alike as pirates feature in the tale. This purchase is a present for young relatives, aged under six years, but I'm planning to have a copy for myself as it makes me smile so much.

Iznik Pottery
Iznik Pottery
by John Carswell
Price: 9.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and not too hefty!, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Iznik Pottery (Paperback)
This is a new area of interest for me and I found that the book greatly enhanced my visit to the British Museum collection of Iznik pottery. It is a well illustrated and very informative guide to the development of these richly coloured ceramics and how they relate to other traditions.

Heartbreak Hotel
Heartbreak Hotel
by Deborah Moggach
Price: 10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A good holiday read, 2 April 2013
This review is from: Heartbreak Hotel (Hardcover)
A gently paced and life affirming story. This book is less trenchant than I remember some of Deborah Moggach's novels being but just as perceptive. The wide range of characters to whom the reader is introduced are all in need of an injection of joie de vivre into their lives. For various reasons they find themselves in this run down, small town B and B. The change of scene brings a host of possibilities. Will they embrace them?

A Question of Identity: Simon Serrailler Book 7 (Simon Serrailler 7)
A Question of Identity: Simon Serrailler Book 7 (Simon Serrailler 7)
by Susan Hill
Price: 13.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet in this series., 13 Dec 2012
I have enjoyed all the books in this series but this one, as well as having the usual combination of police story and personal stories, is particularly thought provoking.