Profile for Tancrede > Reviews

Super Legend HD Video Car Dash Vehicle Recorder
Offered by Buyin-now-UK
Price: 8.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price, 1 May 2014
The dash cam fits on the windscreen by means of a suction cup. Just in front of the rear view mirror is a good place since it doesn’t obstruct the driver’s view. The suction cup seems to hold quite securely.

There are two ways of supplying power. Either using a cable (supplied) plugged into the car cigarette lighter or using an internal battery (supplied). The latter is neater because you don’t need any cables or wiring (you could stick it on the rear window like this) but, of course, you need to keep charging the battery. The battery only lasts for about 2 hours, not the six hours claimed. For continuous use therefore, it needs to be connected to the car’s power socket. In this configuration it will start recording automatically when the ignition is turned on and stop when the ignition is turned off.

The instructions are in a language part way between Chinese and English and utterly baffling in places. I particularly liked “Small tip to save you a big headache: DVR will restart after press reset hole gently by diameter less than 1mm column.”
The camera has several modes, which are selected by using the mode button on the drop down screen. The camera defaults to ‘video mode’ on power up and this is indicated by an old movie-reel camera icon on the screen.
Pressing the mode button changes this from ‘video mode’ to ‘camera mode’, indicated by a camera icon, and allows still snap shots to be taken by pressing the record button. Pressing the mode button again gets a sound recording mode with a microphone icon. The last mode is preview mode indicated by a triangular icon. This allows you to preview recordings already made. The record button will start and stop the selected video recording. The menu offers the option to delete the selected recording (or all of them). There is also a movement detection mode, selected from the menu, which will start recoding when anything in the field of view moves.

In order to record you need a SD card. This is not supplied. A class 10, 32 GB card is best which costs about 14 from Amazon. You cannot record without an SD card fitted.
Recordings are made to a sequence of numbered files which can be either 2, 5 or 10 minutes long, according to the selected menu setting. When a recording file is full a new one is started with a sequential number. When the SD card is full recording continues by overwriting the oldest files.
The recorded files can be downloaded to a computer by connecting the dash cam to a computer USB port (cable supplied). This is quite easy. The dash cam appears as a removable storage device in ‘My Computer’ ( now just ‘Computer’ for Windows7 onwards) and it is possible to select and play recordings on the SD card (using Windows Media Player for example) or copy them to the computer hard drive.

The quality of the playbacks is reasonably good. It is possible to read the number plate of cars immediately in front, although may need to pause playback if car is moving.
It records sounds in the car quite clearly.

For the price I think this is a very good product.

Vax W90-RU-B Rapide Ultra Upright Carpet and Upholstery Washer
Vax W90-RU-B Rapide Ultra Upright Carpet and Upholstery Washer
Price: 129.00

4.0 out of 5 stars VAX W90-RU-B Carpet Cleaner, 29 Mar 2014
VAX W90-RU-B Rapide Ultra Upright Carpet Washer
Unlike the reviewers who bought every VAX model because their grandchildren were coming, I only bought this one. But I guess they are all similar.

ASSEMBLY:
Well the instructions are a delight. For example, “attach caddy to unit top first”. Unfortunately, there is no item marked anywhere as ‘tool caddy’, so you have to guess what it might be then attach it to what you think may be the ‘unit top’ . To assemble the ‘hose’ you are instructed to “fit hose connector end in first”; of course the hose has two ends so it’s 50-50 and the secret is that it doesn’t actually connect to anything it just wraps around the mysterious tool caddy to keep it out of the way. Also a lot of the instructions are for ‘some models only’ and so you are never sure if it means your model or not. However, if you like puzzles you will eventually put something together.

OPERATION:
The unit is heavy, cumbersome but manageable. The technique is to apply the shampoo foam on the forward stroke (by pulling the trigger) and then recover the foam on the backward stroke. Seems to work. Carpet gets damp of course (but not too wet) so may want to operate with bare feet.

RESULTS:
The lounge carpet is such a colour and pattern that it tends not to show the dirt much anyway and so it was not clear how much improvement, if any, had been made. Also you are advised to remove all the furniture and vacuum the carpet thoroughly beforehand and so it didn’t look too bad before applying the carpet cleaner.
The bathroom carpet is a sort of sky blue and it does show the dirt. I was very pleased with the result on this carpet. A definite improvement.
A few days later I convinced myself that the lounge carpet was better also.
Be aware that this cleaner will not remove noticeable marks and stains. You have to pre-spot those by sponging with a carpet cleaner/shampoo and hope that the carpet cleaner blends them in.

OTHER POINTS:
There is a wash tool attachment for upholstery and the stair carpets, but I haven’t used it yet. Power cord does not retract as it does on most vacuum cleaners. It just wraps around the cleaner.
The dirty water recovered from the carpet goes into a dirty-tank reservoir. This may contain a lot of ‘sludge’ so, after use, don’t empty this dirty water down the sink (or it will block it).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2014 11:47 AM BST

Asus Transformer Book T100 10.1-inch 2-in-1 Convertible Netbook (Intel Atom Z3740 1.33GHz Processor, 32GB SSD, 2GB DDR3, Intel HD Graphics, Touchscreen, SDXC Card Reader, USB 3.0, Micro HDMI, Windows 8.1, Microsoft Office Home & Student 2013)
Price: 249.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely when I got used to it, 15 Feb 2014
Asus T100TA-DK002H
I had read on reviews of other Windows8 products that the computer spent hours downloading updates when first switched on. This one didn’t do that, but I did choose not to ‘update Apps’ automatically; an option you get when you first power up. Since I didn’t want most of the pre-installed Apps anyway. I would advise this until you get up and running
Windows 8 takes some getting used to if you are new to it. Some actions in the touch-screen mode appear to be unresponsive because there is no immediate indication that the touch has been actioned and so you press again and get two of something or, even worse, whatever was next to the thing you thought you touched gets activated (the text is smaller than my fingers).
One of the first things I did was to customise the device to the way I was used to until I became more familiar with it. I left the keyboard attached and used a wireless mouse linked via the single USB port – which is on the keyboard. Then got a Bluetooth mouse to free up the USB. The Bluetooth mouse (Microsoft Sculpt Mouse) does not require the keyboard to be connected. I also downloaded Firefox (with AdBlocker) to replace Internet Explorer so that I could get rid of all those annoying adverts. It is quite convenient to carry and use the device with the keyboard attached. It saves having a case. When proficient with the touch screen you can detach the screen and use it like a tablet, if you prefer.
It comes with Microsoft Office pre-installed so you can do real work. This is a full version not a ‘trial’ version.
It will also run old ‘.exe’ programs which I had written some time ago
Although I found it so frustrating at first, as with all things new which don’t behave like the old stuff you got used to. But now I really do like it. I prefer it to my IPad because you can switch to the Windows Desktop and do real work or browsing (without that annoying Safari and its ads). I have now got the hang of touch screen and swiping. I even swipe the desktop screen sometimes now (futilely).
Battery Life: The battery uses about 8% per hour with Bluetooth switched on. It also uses about 8% per day in ‘sleep mode’. It shows no perceptible loss over one day if the system is ‘shut down’ rather than letting it ‘sleep’.

Points Against:
SkyGo which would make it really useful for me is not [yet] available for Windows8, and you can’t get iplayer, 4oD and other TV catch ups directly (You can get a SkyNews app). There is shortage of Apps compared to IPad.
The Mail System will not let you add existing pop3 accounts and so isn’t getting used much. For me, this is effectively a computer without email.
It has a very small internal memory. It is nominally 32GB but after allowing for the operating system and other pre-installed programs it is has about 14GB free, which isn’t much. It does, however, have ‘SkyDrive’ which allows you to store files in ‘hyperspace’ and access them from any Widows 7 or 8 computers.

Conclusion: I like it – very good!

P.S. I must confess I bought mine from John Lewis for 349.45
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2014 3:59 PM BST

Microsoft Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000 (Retail Packaging)
Microsoft Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000 (Retail Packaging)
Price: 36.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Keyboard not good for Typing, 28 Oct 2012
The mouse is very good. It uses bluetrack and so works fine on top of my desk without the need for a mouse mat. The mouse also has some programmable features.( I have programmed the side buttons for magnifying). I find the response good for both the mouse and the keyboard.
But here's the problem. The keyboard layout is not standard and if you actually want to use it for typing, which may be very rare these days, you will find it very annoying. The shift key on the left is very small and as a result I keep typing pressing two keys at once, having to stop and then correct. Even with one or two finger typing it is still very annoying.
The function keys at the top, which I use frequently when programming (e.g. F9 for compile and run, F3 for search) are small and the labelling is even smaller because most of the key is taken up with a picture of some non-standard function which simply replicates what you could do instead with a mouse-click. My eyes are no longer up to it and I have had to stick coloured labels on the function keys I use most often so that I can find them quickly without a magnifying glass.
It works, if you are young and have good eyesight, don't type anything except your name and passwords, then it's OK. Otherwise it is a very bad design and is no more `comfortable' than any other keyboard.

Harrington on Hold 'em: Strategic Play v. 1: Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments
by Dan Harrington
Price: 29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I've been looking for, 14 May 2009
This book is ideal for people who already play poker and who are wanting to improve to the next level. In fact it is the best I've found so far. It sets out to instruct in an organised fashion, with an explanation of the various aspects of the game, followed by examples, and then it tests the reader by setting out a number of sample hands as problems, i.e what action do you take in this situation: fold, check or bet?. I think this is how subjects should be taught and how people actually learn. The same format is repeated for pre-flop play, post-flop, turn and river card play. The section on analysing the texture of the flop is very good. The book is very well written, nice style, and easy to read. It presents a systematic approach - what is the chance of winning, what pot-odds are being offered, how much should I bet to make my opponents pot-odds unfavourable etc. It stresses the need to consider all the factors for each bet, relative stack sizes, the importance of 'position', number and aggression of the other players. What I particularly liked was, as I read it, it seemed to make obvious sense rather than leaving me somewhat confused and wanting to ask more questions.
Unfortunately the book is rather expensive and my main worry before I bought it was that this is only Volume 1, would it be necessary to also buy an expensive Volume 2 in order to get something out of it? However, this volume on its own, subtitled 'Strategic Play', is the most useful (and comprehensive) book I've yet found on No Limit Hold'em. It is also by the far best that I have read from the point of view of improving my own play and understanding.

Doyle Brunson's Super System: A Course in Power Poker!
Doyle Brunson's Super System: A Course in Power Poker!
by Doyle Brunson
Price: 19.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Out of Date and Over-rated, 11 May 2009
This is quite a large book and it covers several different variations of poker - Draw Poker, 7-Card Stud, Lowball, High-Low Split and Texas Hold'em. Consequently only about 20% of the book relates to the most popular variation - No Limit Texas Hold'em. That's the only bit I was interested in and the only part I read; my comments therefore concentrate only that section, which is written by Doyle Brunson himself (the other parts are written by 'guest' authors who may be better). This is quite an old book written before Hold'em became popular. It is written in a sort of sloppy rambling style which incorporates a lot of poker slang; this sometimes creates ambiguity. The word TURN often refers to the FLOP and not what we nowdays call the Turn card. One of the claims for this book is that it is "written by Players not Writers". That may be the problem. Doyle Brunson is very good at poker but he cannot teach. Instead seems to use the book to show clever he is at poker, which undoubtedly he is. His belief in Extra-Sensory Perception and faith in 'luck coming in rushes' is really no help to someone trying to learn some sound principals. The relevance of his miraculous cure from cancer and his belief in Faith Healers' is also questionable. Although the book is called Super System it is not very systematic, more of a haphazard ramble. The section on Texas Hold'em is not very well structured and if there is some good advice hidden in there it is not easy to find. If you are looking for a book to help you improve your poker then this book is NOT for you.Try something else.

Every Hand Revealed
Every Hand Revealed
by Gus Hansen
Price: 8.39

4.0 out of 5 stars It does what it says on the cover, 11 May 2009
This review is from: Every Hand Revealed (Paperback)
This book is a catalogue of all the hands played by Gus Hansen when he won the Aussie Millions poker tournament in 2007. Although the book doesn't set out to 'teach', the analysis of each hand with Gus Hansen's thought processes proves to be quite informative. It doesn't, unfortunately, list all the hands that he chose to fold and didn't play, so you don't get a complete picture. However, I rather liked this book, nice style, easy to read and, as a poker student who is hoping to improve, I found it useful.

Wolf of the Plains (Conqueror, Book 1) (Conqueror 1)
Wolf of the Plains (Conqueror, Book 1) (Conqueror 1)
by Conn Iggulden

5.0 out of 5 stars New convert, 23 Mar 2009
I feel very strange giving 5 stars to anything. I always suspect such ratings may have come from the Author himself, the Publisher or friends and family. I used to enjoy the David Gemmell books ( I say this just so you know what sort of things I like) but I've read them all now and so have been searching for a new author to provide some 'easy reading' . I started reading this book rather warily, but at one stage I read 24 chapters in a night. In short, I found it superb. Although this is the first book I have read by Conn Iggulden ( is that a contrived name to catch the eye?) I am glad to have found a new author (he does seem prolific) to keep me entertained for some time in the future. If you don't like it you don't like it, but I thought it was superb!

Phil Gordon's Little Green Book: Lessons and Teachings in No Limit Texas Hold'em
by Phil Gordon
Price: 9.09

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 23 Mar 2009
I find that most 'advanced' books on poker tend to be disappoint and this book is no exception. I have been playing internet poker now for about five weeks and I was hoping for a book that would help me improve. Although this book is sub-titled "Lessons and Teachings" I found nothing that I consider to meet that description. I felt that the book was just a rather unstructured account of what the things Author would 'consider' in certain circumstances, with no constructive guidance, reasoning or explanation. Most sections simply raised more questions than they answered. For example, I think that an assertion such as "It is mathematically impossible for a player to beat a hyper-aggressive opponent two thirds of the time" requires a degree of justification if not mathematical proof. This is just a nonsensical way of saying that aggression is often very successful. There is repeated emphasis throughout on how the author varies his betting pattern in the same situations - which I didn't find any use at all. Maybe I'm just not good enough to appreciate this incoherent rambling. Personally, I would rather have spent the money at the poker table than 'wasting' it on this book; I would have learned something that way. I am at a loss to explain why other reviewers seem to like it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2011 1:37 PM BST