Profile for Bookish > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Photographer's Guide to the Sony DSC-RX100 II
Photographer's Guide to the Sony DSC-RX100 II

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide to a complex camera, 17 May 2014
I got the Kindle edition of this and have it on my tablet, so it's always available for consulting. Drop into the table of contents and the clear chapter headings point you in the right direction. I've found it especially useful for explaining the use of the control ring and setting up my phone as a remote control. There are lots of images showing the various camera effects and creative styles. I don't know how you'd get the most from this camera using the feeble guide Sony produced. I had expected there to be a full manual on the website, but no.

atFoliX FX-Antireflex screen-protector for Sony DSC-RX100M2 (3 pack) - Anti-reflective screen protection!
Offered by @FoliX GmbH
Price: 5.69

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one you want, 17 May 2014
Follow the instructions for a perfect finish. One of the protective layers (yes, there are two) has a grid printed on it to help with alignment. It's worth making an effort to get the screen perfectly dust-free before you start. The result is tough, non-reflective protection, which I have found makes life easier composing a photo in bright sun.

Shaman: A novel of the Ice Age
Shaman: A novel of the Ice Age

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing read, 1 April 2014
I was drawn into this book right away and found it gripping throughout. The characters are memorable and there are wonderful scenes that will stay with me. Kim Stanley Robinson has done his homework - the cave paintings in the last chapter are real ones, in the Chauvet cave in France. They've been carbon-dated to 30,000-32,000 BCE. I love his imagining of how they were created. The book sparked my interest in the animal life in Europe back then and I found a 2006 study of interactions between the last Neanderthals and early modern humans in Swabia, Germany. The animals listed include brown and arctic hare, marmot, wolf, red and arctic fox, cave bear, cave lion, lynx, polecat, marten, hyena, mammoth, wild horse, woolly rhino, giant deer, roe deer, red deer, reindeer, bison, ibex and chamois.

58 58mm Circular POLARISING CPL Filter for Nikon Canon Fuji Sony Olympus DSLR Camera
Offered by BV-electronics
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, 27 Mar 2014
I didn't expect much from this to be honest - in general you get what you pay for. But I was pleasantly surprised. The filter is sturdily built, comes with a case and works well. I'm finding it most useful for getting rid reflections, on water, windows etc.

Fosmon Anti-Glare (Matte) Screen Protector Shield for Google Nexus 7 / Asus Nexus Tablet - 3 Pieces
Offered by theWireless USA

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality, 29 July 2013
I found this easy to apply - even though it's a tiny bit smaller than the screen - and without the dreaded bubbles. The matte surface makes the tablet useable in bright conditions and doesn't affect resolution too much. Yes, you can see it, but that's balanced out by the lack of reflections. It also doesn't suffer as much from finger marks as the non-matte protectors I've used.

With a Little Help
With a Little Help
Price: 1.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing and terrifying, 1 Jan 2013
I haven't finished reading this yet but it's a definite five star work. The scenario in "Scroogled" is so creepily possible that it makes you break out in a sweat thinking about what your internet search history might suggest about you and how that might be used against you, and "Human Readable" weaves romance into a tale of networks and corruption. I've read a lot of his books, especially enjoyed "Makers" and "For the Win" (didn't realise that was for "young adults" until after I'd finished it!). I like the short story format of this one, each tale is thought-provoking in itself - and of course the whole project and the way it's being published is even more thought-provoking. I got my copy free via Google Play, and made a donation via Mr Doctorow's website.

Fruit and Vegetables for Scotland: A Practical Guide and History
Fruit and Vegetables for Scotland: A Practical Guide and History
by Kenneth Cox
Price: 13.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, 11 Oct 2012
This is the most wonderful book, full of good solid advice, and also inspirational photos of wonderful gardens around Scotland. Today I planted broad beans with dried chopped gorse to deter the mice, and set up a nice little sticks-and-string support for them, following its tips. It's fantastic to find a book written specifically for Scotland - and rather than being unsure of whether you can grow something this far north, you end up feeling glad you're not trying to grow stuff on Shetland! Besides being useful though, it's very well written, so you can sit and read it rather than just consult it. Highly, highly recommended for any veg gardener in Scotland. (I got my copy on a whim at the garden centre - it's much cheaper here on Amazon.)

Kaavie Infrared Wireless Remote Control for Canon EOS 7D, 5D Mark II, 600D, 550D/Rebel T2i, 500D/Rebel T1i, 450D, 400D, 350D, 300D as RC-5/RC-6
Offered by UK Highland Photography

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, and it works, 31 Aug 2012
I use this with the 550D and it works a treat. So much cheaper than the Canon one, you can't go wrong really. (BTW, the setting is in the Drive Mode menu - "self-timer/remote control". I just mention it because I had to scour the manual!)

Karabar Folding Cabin Bag 55 x 40 x 20 cm, 44 Litres - 3 Years Warranty! (Black/Orange)
Offered by Karabar Luggage
Price: 9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 31 Aug 2012
Good tough fabric and the outside pocket was very handy. If I was going to travel hand-luggage only regularly I'd probably invest in a hard-shell wheelie case, but for the odd excursion this is fantastic value. Check-in staff didn't give it a glance (another passenger was having to force her holdall into the measuring frame) and I had plenty of room for my little day-pack loaded with Kindle etc - hook that out, shove the big bag into the overhead locker, bliss.

SanDisk SDSDU-032G-U46 32 GB Ultra 30 MB/s Class 10 SDHC Memory Card (Label May Change)
Price: 14.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb value, 24 July 2012
Really good card - no problem filming video on my EOS 550D, quick download. Very happy. Apparently I have to write more words... um, excellent. Extremely pleased with my purchase. Is that enough now?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5