Profile for groovylordpingu > Reviews

Content by groovylordpingu

groovylordpingu

Anvil of Stars (Forge of God)
Anvil of Stars (Forge of God)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous !, 27 Aug 2014
I first discovered Greg Bear when i read Eon and then Eternity. I frequently re-read these books, as they are breathtaking in their scope and imagination. This one will be re-read as well. Marrying the character interplay with interstellar warfare that has your mind lit up like fireworks, it's difficult to put the book down.

The Rhesus Chart: A Laundry Files novel
The Rhesus Chart: A Laundry Files novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - cracking story, sexy and disturbing, 5 July 2014
Worth the wait, read the book in two sittings, sadly over to soon. Will take pleasure in re-reading, for sure.

Dragon's Blood (Thaumatology Book 4)
Dragon's Blood (Thaumatology Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Less sex, more action, 17 May 2014
I have actually enjoyed the series but the omnipresent sex gets to be a bit tedious, and one cannot help but feel that this might be read by those who have aspirations of a great sex life, rather than actually enjoying it. But, being a man, I do enjoy a bit of naughtiness. This book in the series ups the game a bit, brings background strands together and is actually written well enough (bar the typos) to create imagery in the reader's mind. I won't spoil it but there's definitely a turning point reached in this instalment... Quite a good effort.

Wormhole (The Rho Agenda Book 3)
Wormhole (The Rho Agenda Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Cracking holiday read, 27 Aug 2013
Read all three books over the bank holiday weekend.Despite a reliance on sexual threats - unnecessary to the plot in my view - I enjoyed the story a lot.

The Story of O
The Story of O

3.0 out of 5 stars O-rrific !, 24 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Story of O (Kindle Edition)
I had heard about this book for a while but had not got around to reading it. I finally purchased it and settled in to read it over a few evenings.

Oh my god...It is very well written, but describes, and justifies, how out of love a woman will accept the most degrading treatment - rape, flogging, loss of identity, total subjugation to a group of wealthy men. I so wish this book had not been written by a woman...at least if it had been written by a man you could say that it was a typical male fantasy. That a woman has written it could lead some to justify that women have a secret desire to be held in bondage - by and large something which I have not really noticed in the women I have met over the course of my life.

Go ahead and read it - but like every controversial book, please keep a sense of perspective, and prepare to be shocked. I'll admit something - I could not finish it. Maybe you can, but be sure to watch your soul once you have finished it.