Profile for Mme Pamela Small > Reviews

Content by Mme Pamela Small

Mme Pamela Small (Charente, France)

Perfect Puppy: Take Britain's Number One Puppy Care Book With You!
Perfect Puppy: Take Britain's Number One Puppy Care Book With You!
by Gwen Bailey

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good for country dogs!, 22 Feb. 2010
Lots of good advice, but aimed principally at town dwellers (training involves the park, streets, schools, shops......) If you live as we do in a an isolated country hamlet with a field track next to you, no neighbours, no public transport, no school close by, and no park within a 30 mile radius, then it's difficult to put some of the advice into practice.
What does shine out is the author's love and understanding of dogs. It's useful to be reminded that puppies don't speak our language and don't understand why they're being punished, so it's far better to reward them for being good than to punish them for being naughty!
Being reminded of puppies' needs, including that all important one of having something to chew on at all times, has been invaluable and has probably saved our furniture from being totally destroyed by our two labradors.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2014 9:48 AM BST

Breast is Best
Breast is Best
by Penny Stanway

5.0 out of 5 stars Still brilliant after all these years, 22 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Breast is Best (Paperback)
This excellent book, lent to me by a friend, encouraged me to breastfeed my own two children thirty years ago, and I was delighted to be able to buy the revised version for my daughter who is now expecting her first baby.
Even parents committed to breastfeeding need a bit of help, both moral and practical, and they will find the advice they need in these pages.
The layout is practical, with a good index to help the reader go straight to the required advice, and there are useful charts and lists throughout.
If you are pregnant or know someone who is, then buy this book - our children will be healthier for it!