Profile for M. Wynde > Reviews

Suit Juice
Suit Juice
Offered by MyTriathlon

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: Suit Juice (Misc.)
Using this on my triathlon wetsuit, which is snug and due to the relatively thin neoprene I'm paranoid about harming it as I wrestle myself in and out. Suit Juice makes the whole process fantastically easy.

ELTD® Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition PU Leather Smart Cover Case (For Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition, Blue III)
Offered by X-FlashBox

4.0 out of 5 stars great value, 5 Jan 2014
I got this because Samsung seem to be slow off the mark getting their official cover for the 2014 10.1 Note into the shops. Compared to the official 'book cover' this is tremendous value for money (roughly 4-5 times cheaper) and does a good job.

It's a little thicker than the Samsung version so does bulk up the tablet a bit. And when folded into 'typing' mode (with the tablet at a low angle on the triangle formed by the cover) the tablet is 'upside down' with the physical home button at the top. Of course, this doesn't affect what is happening on the screen at all since it reorients, but just be aware of that. It doesn't actually bother me at all.

This gets 4 rather than 5 stars simply because it seems thicker than it needs to be. But rest assured, I'd have this over the official product any day.

Kind of Cruel (Culver Valley Crime)
Kind of Cruel (Culver Valley Crime)
by Sophie Hannah

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't wait for it to be finished, 1 May 2012
My "Couldn't wait for it to be finished" is distinct from "I couldn't wait to finish it".

This was a frustrating read that I completed only because I hate to walk away from novels. I found nothing in this book to give a clue to Sophie Hannah's background in poetry as the prose is rather dull and there's little in the way of evocative description in the writing (I read this between "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet" and "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" and SH suffers badly in comparison). The characters weren't well-drawn and it's only reading the reviews here that I realise some of my frustrations with apparently needless characters and sub plots is likely to be down to their recurrence across several of SH's novels, a trick that other authors carry off with whilst making individual novels coherent (see Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole books) so why can't SH I wonder? Additionally, a major character turns out to be woefully under-drawn (I shan't say more to avoid spoilers) and the final section of the book is devoted to explaining the plot in what is virtually a monologue.

I can see that there are fans of SH's other work here. But I don't think I'll be sampling any more.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2014 6:32 PM BST

WD Elements 1TB External Desktop Hard Drive USB 2.0 - Black
WD Elements 1TB External Desktop Hard Drive USB 2.0 - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars can't be seen by either of my laptops, 24 April 2011
Supposedly plug and play but neither laptop (one on XP, one on Vista) can see the drive at all even in the disk management utility. And yes, it is switched on and making noises. Looking at the WD forums it appears to be an issue that a number of users have experienced.

Shattering the Myths of Darwinism
Shattering the Myths of Darwinism
by Richard Milton

1.0 out of 5 stars Only succeeds in knocking over a false straw-man, 30 May 2008
I suspect everyone's start point biases the review they give this book, i.e. you'll tend toward 5-star reviews if starting from a theistic viewpoint (it confirms that world-view), and 1-star reviews if approaching from an atheistic/Darwinian viewpoint (it attacks this world-view). I start from the latter point and so admit that I approached with a sceptical, but open, mind.

The trouble is, I arrived at my atheistic stance after a pretty careful consideration of all sides of the debate, reading the philosophy of religion and Christianity, and doing the same for atheism and evolution. I'm not saying I'm any kind of expert, but here's the rub: I know the subject to a deep enough level to know that Milton's arguments are misleading. I can only surmise that he either doesn't understand current evolutionary theory or is deliberately mistating it to make his points. He's clearly not an idiot, so I think that it is the latter. This therefore leads to a questioning of his motives, and of his claim to be agnostic.

For instance, he claims:
- there are no reported examples of speciation (bacterial studies, the HIV virus, lesser black backed gulls, red and grey squirrels are all valid examples)
- that supporters of evolution claim all organisms are perfect (they don't)
- that there are no observable beneficial mutations (so why are we worried about bacteria evolving resistant strains? That happens, and is beneficial to the bacteria)
- that the peppered moth example is used by supporters to demonstrate a spontaneous mutation (it isn't)
- that the natural consequence of evolution is no higher-order organisms but a mass of bacteria (there's no logic to this assertion)

Finally, there isn't a single mention in the entire book about speciation through genetic drift, which may be more important than natural selection as a mechanism for creating variation.

There are better uses of your time out there. Avoid.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2014 9:23 PM BST

The Economic Naturalist: Why Economics Explains Almost Everything
The Economic Naturalist: Why Economics Explains Almost Everything
by Robert H Frank

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly poor example of the popular science genre, 30 May 2008
I bought this book expecting, on the basis of cover quotes, to find more of the type of incisive and analytical thinking that illuminates Freakonomics and The Undercover Economist. Against the standard sent by those, and other books, it is a **huge** disappointment. Peter Kennedy writes in his review that it uses "basic statistics and vague generalisations". From my reading I'd say that it weights itself heavily towards the vague generalisations side of this statement (I would also like to say that Freakonomics is rather more robust than its mention in Peter's review implies). I got bored very quickly.

This is a book that is cashing in on the popularity of a genre and falling short of the standard of that genre. Prospective purchasers should be aware that the source material for the book is short essays that were written by Robert H. Frank's students of an Introductory Economics course. Specifically, they were asked to 'use a principle, or principles, discussed in the course to pose and answer an interesting question about some pattern of events or behaviour that you personally have observed' in less than 500 words. So you are, in effect, reading a compendium of coursework that addresses this challenge. And, frankly, the lack of rigour that results is evident.

To be fair to Robert H. Frank (and his students), he does admit in his introduction that he doesn't expect all the answers to be correct and that they should be read with a critical eye. He states that the answers should be seen as 'intelligent hypotheses suitable for further refinement and testing'. And many of them do stand up to that measure. But I'd have been grateful for a bit of the refinement and testing coming from Professor Frank himself. For example the answer to the question of why Kamikaze pilots wore helmets (which is touted on the cover of the book) is historically inaccurate and doesn't even contain any economics.

Avoid.