Profile for Physical Graffiti > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Vu Du Large
Vu Du Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 14 Sep 2009
This review is from: Vu Du Large (Audio CD)
Hip hop.... jazz.... rap. Rarely has such a combination of genre resulted in such a beautiful record. These guys are onto something. Slick and catchy.

Maui
Maui
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 14 Sep 2009
This review is from: Maui (Audio CD)
I don't usually dig this kind of music but I chanced upon these guys at Glastonbury this year and they blew me away - I just had to buy some of their recorded stuff and I wasn't let down at all by this epic CD.

Tic [Explicit]
Tic [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 14 Sep 2009
This review is from: Tic [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
I fully agree with the previous reviewer. This is a groovy little song! And the remix is fabulous too.

Kensington Heights
Kensington Heights

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 11 Mar 2009
This review is from: Kensington Heights (Audio CD)
Completely agree with Matt's review.

Great, authentic rock n' roll which deserves more recognition.

Cannot recommend this band enough.

The National
The National

5.0 out of 5 stars First Rate Debut Album, 11 Mar 2009
This review is from: The National (Audio CD)
Like the previous two reviewers, I tracked down this debut album by The National after having enjoyed Boxer and Alligator so much. I was unsure how it would match up to those stunning subsequent recordings, but wasn't disappointed in the slightest. There are differences - this album has a slower pace to it, and is more raw, but the quality of the tracks for me is similar to the latter releases. Berninger's lyrics are mysterious as ever, and his voice soars above the beautifully balanced instrumentation.

Stand-out songs: Pay for Me, Theory of the Crows, American Mary, Cold Girl Fever, The Perfect Song.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Penguin Popular Classics)
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Penguin Popular Classics)
by Mark Twain
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 Mar 2009
I didn't know at all what I was letting myself in for with this book - I've never read any Mark Twain before. However I was engrossed from the very beginning. Each episode Huck gets himself stuck in leaves you wondering 'How on Earth will he get out of this one?'; yet each time he devises a cunning plan. It is well-written, fast-paced, clever, witty and funnny.

The reason I give it a four-star review is the final 60 or 70 pages of the book - I found that it began to drag and drag, and my patience began to wear thin. However apart from that, it's a great read, thoroughly recommended!

Cherry Tree
Cherry Tree

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic EP, 16 Feb 2009
This review is from: Cherry Tree (Audio CD)
This EP by the National, released between their 2nd and 3rd full-length albums, has a real intensity; all of the songs are magnificently crafted, and deliver a huge punch. The song arrangements are in the main simple - in Wasp Nest, All Dolled Up In Straps and About Today, Matt Berninger's beautiful yet haunting vocals really stand out. Cherry Tree is fantastic for the build-up of energy, whilst I had already heard All The Wine from their ensuing album. The last two songs unfortunately didn't really do it for me - the live version of Murder Me Rachel seems, as commented the previous reviewer, out of place, while Reasonable Man just seemed to lack quality in my eyes. However I'm giving the EP a five star review on the strength of the first 5 songs.

The Constantines
The Constantines
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, 1 Dec 2008
This review is from: The Constantines (Audio CD)
This first effort by Constantines is brilliant. It's expectedly much more raw than their subsequent work, and I must admit that it took me a good few listens before I really began to appreciate it, but the quality of material on this album is impressive. The guitar work especially impressed me, intelligently zipping between quiet, fast-paced picking, great rushes of gain-laden power chords and then, well, no guitar - just bass and drums, and some stunning vocals! There are also some acoustic beauties, such as Saint You, and a fantastic instrumental in The McKnight Life.

The Reminder
The Reminder
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars A Triumph!, 1 Dec 2008
This review is from: The Reminder (Audio CD)
With lots of albums, I have to listen numerous times before I am able to form a definitive opinion on them.

Not so with The Reminder. From the very opening of So Sorry I was encapsulated. The album's a real emotional journey, with beautifully soft and bare songs such as The Park well complemented by the catchy I Feel It All and Sea Lion Woman to name but a few, which you can't help but tap your foot to.

Great songwriting, great production, and a superb voice.

Astronomy For Dogs
Astronomy For Dogs
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 1 Dec 2008
This review is from: Astronomy For Dogs (Audio CD)
Astronomy for Dogs is a truely audacious album, which in my opinion came off brilliantly. Refusing to be drawn into the modern day mediocre commercial rock/indie scene, The Aliens haven't been afraid to experiment, the result of which is a series of songs which are well-produced but simultaneously organic - basically, a breath of fresh air. If you're after something a bit different, buy it!!

Page: 1 | 2