Profile for Adam J. Purcell > Reviews

Whostrology: a Time Traveller's Almanac
Whostrology: a Time Traveller's Almanac
by Michael M Gilroy-Sinclair

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun book you can randomly dip into, 28 Nov 2012
We all know horoscopes are made up, so why not just make them funny and Doctor Who related? That's exactly what the author did.

Each day of the year is marked by some sage words that not only challenge your Who trivia knowledge but also wonderfully amuse (especially if you get the references, of course!) Not only that but each and every day also has its own illustration that, like the wonderful text, refers either to an episode that broadcast on that day, an actor who has (or had) a birthday on that day (especially during the Doctor Who lean summer months), or, on a handful of more desperate days when there were no birthdays or broadcasts, an episode that was shot on that day!

That's not all, you also get an astrological reading covering your birth year (assuming you were born between 1963 and 2013, inclusive) and each of the signs of the zodiac have been reformed in Doctor Who's image, again with some appropriately witty description (mine being Nimon the Bull!).

A book for any true Doctor Who fan, though more casual viewers may be a little lost but I'd like to think they'd still be amused!

As I write this it is the 28th of November - one of the birthdays listed is for 'Karen Sheila Gillan (1987)' and an extract of the text warns: "Do not waste your time hanging around waiting for a childhood friend to turn up - why not spend your time reading about Romans and mythical boxes - or date a nurse." Wise words indeed! Also a very fine picture of a lady in a police uniform accompanies it.

Brilliant stuff!

GlobalSat BT-359 Bluetooth GPS Receiver (discontinued by manufacturer)
GlobalSat BT-359 Bluetooth GPS Receiver (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars All present and correct, 7 Jun 2011
Despite earlier reviews, for me this GlobalSat BT-359 arrived in proper branded packaging along with a software CD, a USB lead (only for charging, data is via bluetooth) and a car charger adapter, plus the device itself of course. Everything you could need.

In my case I'm using it to replace the somewhat underperforming GPS receiver in my Android phone (a Nexus One). Far and away better at picking up satellites and determining position than the built in GPS of my phone, so I'm very pleased with it indeed. Now I can get a truer idea of how many miles I done when out walking - much less of the bizarre zigzagging of my old built-in GPS!

Spore (Mac/PC DVD)
Spore (Mac/PC DVD)
Offered by Talbot Media

1.0 out of 5 stars Spore: Facing Extinction, 10 Sep 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Spore (Mac/PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
It is rather fitting that this game is in a few years going to make itself extinct. Yes, I'm talking about the Digital Rights Management. You get to install this three times and that's your lot. If you ever uninstall (to use the space for another game, for example) it doesn't register this fact anywhere - you've just used up one of your 3 installs. I have countless old PC games on my shelves that I, over the years, return to. Won't be able to do that with this game for too long. Soon enough the Spore installation disc will be a coaster. Survival of the fittest? Spore is heading for deliberate extinction.

I bought the game before I realised I was really only renting it for a short time. So I have paid for it and played it. It has a nice concept but the execution leaves a little to be desired to my mind. It's basically a series of mini games. They are fun enough for a short time but they lack depth to really keep bringing you back. Yes, you can replay them with a different design of creature but that doesn't make as much difference to the gameplay as you would hope.

EA are talking about franchising Spore in the same way as they have the Sims (and the Sims 2). That being the case, if you really are interested in Spore, you should probably hold off buying it for now. In a few months there will probably be an expansion pack coming out, probably bundled with the original game. That might add the depth it needs. Maybe, just maybe, they might also reverse their pathetic DRM limitations by then, too. If not the demise of PC gaming is coming even quicker - in years to come I will still be able to dig out my old PlayStation/XBox/Wii/etc. and any of my old favourite games. That won't be true of PC games going forward. A sad day.