Profile for Neilybags > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Nothing Lasts But Nothing Is Lost
Nothing Lasts But Nothing Is Lost

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended!, 18 Sep 2014
This is my first Schpongle purchase and it won't be the last. I came to Schpongle via Ozric Tentacles and Eat Static. If you like ambient weirditude then this us the album for you. My favourite track is Invocation. But there isn't a track on the album I don't like. Highly recommended.

Replacement Remote Control For NEON RC08F
Replacement Remote Control For NEON RC08F
Offered by cherrypickelectronics

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a lot to say really. I managed to ..., 13 Sep 2014
Not a lot to say really. I managed to stop my original remote control into a
Into glass of water lol! So I needed a replacement. This control is bigger than the original and a bit less solid but it does the job!

Modern Buddhism: The Path of Compassion and Wisdom
Modern Buddhism: The Path of Compassion and Wisdom
by Kelsang Gyatso

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Book, 2 Sep 2014
This is the best book on Buddhism I have ever read. If you are looking for a really comprehensive and accessible introduction to both Sutra and Tantra then this book is ideal. Very readable and practical in its approach. The chapter on ultimate bodhichitta is particularly useful in introducing the very difficult topic of emptiness. The section on Tantra provides the best overview that I have read. A wonderful book.

The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living
The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living
by Dalai Lama

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 29 Aug 2014
This was the first book on Buddhism I ever read. I have to say I found it to be very disappointing. More pop psychology than Buddhism. And I can't say that I found it to be of any practical help either. As time has gone on I have become even more concerned at his teachings and his persecution of Shugden practitioners. A much better book to buy for an introduction to Buddhism would be Modern Buddhism by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso.

The Silver Pigs: (Falco 1)
The Silver Pigs: (Falco 1)
by Lindsey Davis

4.0 out of 5 stars Witty, 22 Aug 2014
This series was recommended to me by a friend who herself writes in this genre. The closest comparison to this book would be the Brother Cadfael series by Ellis Peters. The biggest strength of the book is the delightfully witty characterisation of Falco himself. He really is very funny and also believable. The portrayal of Rome under Vespasian is also very convincing. A strong plot moves along at a good pace. This is not classic literature but it is hugely entertaining.

Abduction
Abduction
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Album!, 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: Abduction (Audio CD)
I have only recently got into Eat Static via Ozric Tentacles. Having enjoyed 'Implant' I thought I would give this one a go. Its a brilliant album and in my view better than Implant. There is not a weak track on the album, my favourites being Gulf Breeze, Kinetic Flow and Abduction. This is space grooviness at its best. I'm going to buy another one now!

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
by Robert Galbraith

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 11 Aug 2014
I have to admit that I bought this book out of curiosity and I did not know what to expect, crime fiction bring not really my genre. I really really enjoyed it. A rattling good story that moves along at a good pace. A very strong and believable plot nicely told. Strong characterisation as well. It is a real page turner and has an excellent ending. A great book to take on holiday. Highly recommended even if you don't normally read crime fiction!

Curious Corn
Curious Corn
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars Grows On You, 9 Aug 2014
This review is from: Curious Corn (Audio CD)
This album sort of grows on you. When I first heard it I thought it was good but not their best. Then I listened again and began to appreciate it more, particularly Afroclonk which is the third track and Meander, the last track. But its all good. I think I slightly prefer the earlier albums - Pungent Effulgent and Erpland especially. But this is very listenable to and well worth 4 stars.

Doctor Who - Terror of the Zygons [DVD]
Doctor Who - Terror of the Zygons [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Dr Who!, 8 Aug 2014
This DVD is a reminder of just how good Dr Who was in the mid 1970s, particularly with Tom Baker as Dr Who. He is superb. The story has a strong ploy that moves along at a pace. All the UNIT favourites are there as well. Elizabeth Sladen as usual gives a brilliant performance. Good monsters too! The lead Zygon is particularly malevolent. Terror of the Zygons is a good addition to any Dr Who collection.

Implant
Implant

5.0 out of 5 stars Spacey, 8 Aug 2014
This review is from: Implant (Audio CD)
This is the first Eat Static CD I have bought and having listened to it I will certainly be buying more. I am into Ozric Tentacles and Hawkwind so I liked the spacey look of this CD. Its psytrance meets electronic weirditude with lots of alien effects. I particularly liked Dzhopa Dream, Panspermia and Cydonia. Great stuff and highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7