Profile for Ailsa Abraham > Reviews

Content by Ailsa Abraham

Ailsa Abraham "When I'm not writing, I read, and vice-versa." (Champlitte, France)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Away With The Fairies
Away With The Fairies
by Vivienne Tuffnell

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking me where?, 3 April 2016
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Paperback)
The first book I've read for a while in which I became totally involved. The characters were believable to the point where at times I wanted to slap some of them and not necessarily the one meant to be a baddie. I wondered if this were less a trip to Fairyland and more a guided tour of a nervous breakdown but I feel that each reader will take away their own message from it. My own will stay with me for a long time and has given me much to ponder. I can recommend this book on so many levels - it totally depends how deeply the reader wants to get drawn in.

Flatcap Sez
Flatcap Sez

5.0 out of 5 stars Sez it like it is!, 12 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Flatcap Sez (Kindle Edition)
I'm a Flatcap Fan. I love the non-PC observations of modern life. They have me rolling around laughing. He says what some of us think but don't every say (apart, of course, from my husband). This is, if anything, even more outrageous than the others. With age, Flatcap is improving, that is to say, he gives even less of a flying fork who he offends. Sensitive souls would be advised to abstain but anyone with a sense of humour and a broad mind will love it.

Holly Prickles Finds A New Home: Volume 1 (Holly Prickles The Hedgehog)
Holly Prickles Finds A New Home: Volume 1 (Holly Prickles The Hedgehog)
by Brenda May Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Ageless!, 16 Sept. 2014
Holly Prickles is a sweetheart. She wants to help everyone but finds out that it is hard, tiring and sometimes thankless. I couldn't recommend an age-group for this lovely book because I dip back into it when I feel discouraged.

In the best tradition of teaching by story-telling, the reader learns that just saying the words isn't enough. Effort is required. In the end, though, the determined Holly sorts things out for her friends. If I were asked who I would like to be compared to - forget Mother Theresa, I'd like to be a Holly Prickles clone!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2014 8:20 PM BST

Ladies Long Full Crinkle Boho Gypsy Cotton Skirt with Coconut Shell Buckle (Purple)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and comfy, 2 Jun. 2014
Wonderful lightweight summer skirt. Easy to adjust, Can be dressed up or down - a bargain at the price. Would buy here again.

Beyond My Control: Why the Health and Social Care System Need Not Have Failed My Mother
by Suzan Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be required reading, 2 Jun. 2014
This book should be required reading not only for anyone using the NHS but for everybody working in it. I could not believe what I was seeing. Suzan Collins is an expert in the field and even she could not get satisfactory treatment for her mother, let alone satisfactory answers to her pertinent questions.
I was enraged. I urge everyone in the UK to read this book because either you or your relatives will be old one day and I would hate to think of anyone being treated this way again.

The Deep Secret
The Deep Secret

5.0 out of 5 stars Even deeper, 17 April 2014
This review is from: The Deep Secret (Kindle Edition)
I read The Handshaker and ... enjoy isn't the word for a book like this. David Robinson seems disturbingly able to get into the mind of a totally homicidal psycopath and express their thoughts and feelings. That he is a qualified and experienced hpynotherapist is obvious but I begin to wonder if he is also a secret mass-murderer.
The sequel is even more fascinating. We start, as the reader, thinking we know who all the baddies are and it is going to be a straightforward "race against time" story. We are wrong. The more revelations from the recent or distant past, the more complex it becomes.
I am not going to indulge in any spoilers. Mr Robinson knows his stuff where hypnosis is concerned and his track record in detective fiction speaks for itself. This is his best so far in my opinion. Right up to the last page, we are still wondering about the title.
This is not for the faint-hearted, it is gory, sordid, sadistic and a damn good read.
This review was originally posted in Amazon.com at the end of March but doesn't seem to have appeared here.

Self-Publishing Steps To Successful Sales
Self-Publishing Steps To Successful Sales

5.0 out of 5 stars The Essential 101 Guide, 16 April 2014
I wish this book had been around when I first took a punt at s/p. All the mistakes that newcomers make are covered and if Seumas' advice is followed, there should be no problem.
I particularly liked the section on using social media without becoming a Spam Monster. Well done, that man!

Guitar Moods : The Most Uplifting Guitar Classics of All Time
Guitar Moods : The Most Uplifting Guitar Classics of All Time

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent background, 16 April 2014
With the three CDs containing different themes of guitar work this is a great collection to play as background music.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars In love with!, 16 April 2014
Fabulous boots which I was trying to replace when my old pair died. These are fantastic, fit like a glove and so comfortable and stylish. Delivery was as promised and I couldn't be happier.

The Ghostly Father
The Ghostly Father

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 16 April 2014
I found it hard to believe that this is Ms. Barnard's first novel. It is very well crafted and as the great WS might have said "an excellent conceit". Realising from the start that this was Romeo and Juliet revisited I was wondering how it would all end and I have to say, without any spoilers, that the final pages took me completely by surprise.
I always found the Shakespeare ending of R and J rather contrived and disappointing so I prefer this cleverly contrived one much more.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4