Profile for Reading Otter > Reviews

Content by Reading Otter

Reading Otter "When I'm not writing, I read, and vice-versa." (Champlitte, France)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Holly Prickles Finds A New Home: 1 (Holly Prickles The Hedgehog)
Holly Prickles Finds A New Home: 1 (Holly Prickles The Hedgehog)
by Brenda May Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Ageless!, 16 Sep 2014
Holly Prickles is a sweetheart. She wants to help everyone but finds out that it is hard, tiring and sometimes thankless. I couldn't recommend an age-group for this lovely book because I dip back into it when I feel discouraged.

In the best tradition of teaching by story-telling, the reader learns that just saying the words isn't enough. Effort is required. In the end, though, the determined Holly sorts things out for her friends. If I were asked who I would like to be compared to - forget Mother Theresa, I'd like to be a Holly Prickles clone!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2014 8:20 PM BST

Ladies Long Full Crinkle Boho Gypsy Cotton Skirt with Coconut Shell Buckle (Purple)
Offered by Blue Bambootique

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and comfy, 2 Jun 2014
Wonderful lightweight summer skirt. Easy to adjust, Can be dressed up or down - a bargain at the price. Would buy here again.

Beyond My Control: Why the Health and Social Care System Need Not Have Failed My Mother
by Suzan Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be required reading, 2 Jun 2014
This book should be required reading not only for anyone using the NHS but for everybody working in it. I could not believe what I was seeing. Suzan Collins is an expert in the field and even she could not get satisfactory treatment for her mother, let alone satisfactory answers to her pertinent questions.
I was enraged. I urge everyone in the UK to read this book because either you or your relatives will be old one day and I would hate to think of anyone being treated this way again.

The Deep Secret
The Deep Secret

5.0 out of 5 stars Even deeper, 17 April 2014
This review is from: The Deep Secret (Kindle Edition)
I read The Handshaker and ... enjoy isn't the word for a book like this. David Robinson seems disturbingly able to get into the mind of a totally homicidal psycopath and express their thoughts and feelings. That he is a qualified and experienced hpynotherapist is obvious but I begin to wonder if he is also a secret mass-murderer.
The sequel is even more fascinating. We start, as the reader, thinking we know who all the baddies are and it is going to be a straightforward "race against time" story. We are wrong. The more revelations from the recent or distant past, the more complex it becomes.
I am not going to indulge in any spoilers. Mr Robinson knows his stuff where hypnosis is concerned and his track record in detective fiction speaks for itself. This is his best so far in my opinion. Right up to the last page, we are still wondering about the title.
This is not for the faint-hearted, it is gory, sordid, sadistic and a damn good read.
This review was originally posted in Amazon.com at the end of March but doesn't seem to have appeared here.

Self-Publishing Steps To Successful Sales
Self-Publishing Steps To Successful Sales

5.0 out of 5 stars The Essential 101 Guide, 16 April 2014
I wish this book had been around when I first took a punt at s/p. All the mistakes that newcomers make are covered and if Seumas' advice is followed, there should be no problem.
I particularly liked the section on using social media without becoming a Spam Monster. Well done, that man!

Guitar Moods : The Most Uplifting Guitar Classics of All Time
Guitar Moods : The Most Uplifting Guitar Classics of All Time
Offered by Music-Club

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent background, 16 April 2014
With the three CDs containing different themes of guitar work this is a great collection to play as background music.

Coco - New Womens Jewelled Embroided Mid Calf Low Heel Boots (UK 7)
Coco - New Womens Jewelled Embroided Mid Calf Low Heel Boots (UK 7)
Offered by YourShoetique

5.0 out of 5 stars In love with!, 16 April 2014
Fabulous boots which I was trying to replace when my old pair died. These are fantastic, fit like a glove and so comfortable and stylish. Delivery was as promised and I couldn't be happier.

The Ghostly Father
The Ghostly Father

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 16 April 2014
I found it hard to believe that this is Ms. Barnard's first novel. It is very well crafted and as the great WS might have said "an excellent conceit". Realising from the start that this was Romeo and Juliet revisited I was wondering how it would all end and I have to say, without any spoilers, that the final pages took me completely by surprise.
I always found the Shakespeare ending of R and J rather contrived and disappointing so I prefer this cleverly contrived one much more.

The Pennington Christmas Curse
The Pennington Christmas Curse
by Gina Dickerson

5.0 out of 5 stars Wondering?, 8 April 2014
I love Gina Dickerson's style of mixing real life solid with fantasy. So much more believable than "in another time, on another planet" or "let's pretend" to the point where I get a headache.
This, I think is a stand alone story and worth the read. The characters are believable and the scenario quite within the bounds of tabloid newspaper headlines. Without giving away the plot, I loved it but wished we could find more words for "snow" ... if that is the only criticism I can find, and I am a very picky reader, then it must be a great read. Well done, Ms. Dickerson, you've done it again.

Spiral of Hooves
Spiral of Hooves

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a novice ride!, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: Spiral of Hooves (Kindle Edition)
Anyone who understands the title of my review will enjoy this book. I was a total duffer at mane-plaiting and I started to feel the same while reading this novel. I could not untangle the plot. It is complicated on several levels and there are so many questions that need to be answered that it is a slow trot through the paces rather than a gallop in case one misses a clue.
The answers all lie in the past and that is slowly revealed with the expertise of a classy burlesque artiste. I am not going to include any spoilers. I'm just going to say, even if you don't like horses, if you are fascinated by people, by the machinations of big business and the ability of humans for treachery...buy it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4