Profile for Patsy Jennings > Reviews

Content by Patsy Jennings

Patsy Jennings (UK)

Canon PowerShot G10 14.7MP Digital Camera - 5x Optical Zoom, 3 inch PureColor LCD II Viewfinder - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon G10, 11 April 2009
I bought my Canon G10 on recommendation from a teacher of a Compact Digital photography course. I was using a 3 year old Nikon Coolpix S1 and became aware that it really didn't do what I wanted it to do. What I was looking for was a camera that would give me aperture and shutter control, image stabilisation and a viewfinder. In the future I would like to get an SLR but at the moment I was looking for something I could take out walking. I felt an SLR would be too bulky and needs extra lenses which would work out more costly.

I am very pleased with the pictures I have taken so far using the aperture and manual settings. I have taken some really good close up pictures of flowers. I have also found that the people Mode gives far superior pics to my old camera.Having said that I chose the Canon as I wanted more manual control rather than lots of fancy modes.If you want a camera that does all the work for you another model may be more appropriate.

The Canon G10 is a lot heavier than my old Nikon. To my uneducated eye it looks like an old fashioned 35mm camera. However I have decided it way outperforms my old Nikon compact. I think it's weight and chunkiness helps keep the camera steady improving the quality of your pictures. It does feel very easy to hold.

I am disappointed that the camera doesn't come with a paper manual. When you are learning photography you need something you can take out with you. I also find the manual is a bit confusing. I think I will learn more by playing around with it.

Overall though I am very pleased with my purchase and am looking forward to taking some great pictures.

Lowepro Apex 60 AW Digital Camera Pouch - Black
Lowepro Apex 60 AW Digital Camera Pouch - Black
Price: 19.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Lowepro Digital Camera Pouch, 11 April 2009
I bought this camera case for my new Canon G10 camera. Reading reviews on Amazon it appeared that the official Canon case doesn't have the space for spare batteries and memory cards which I definately wanted. This case does have separate pockets for a battery and memory cards. It also has a nifty little rain mac which you can use in damp weather. In reality though I feel my camera is a bit heavy to wear on a belt so I probably wouldn't use the rain cover as it only covers the front and side of the case. I feel the case is slightly too big for my Canon G10 and would have preferred something slightly more compact. The other thing is that when I open it up the battery falls out of its compartment so not the best of design. Although the case comes with a shoulder strap it is not altogether clear where to attach it.

International Cookware Robert Welch Imperial Weights for Kitchen Scales in Chromed Brass & Cast Iron
Offered by Colanders
Price: 22.07

4.0 out of 5 stars Cast Iron Weights, 11 April 2009
The weights look as if they are `antique' and have been used many times before. That is fine by me as I wanted them to go with traditional scales that have an old worlde feel. It was slightly annoying that although I'd ordered Imperial weights one arrived in grams. It was only one so I decided not to send them back.

Garmin USB/PC Cable for nuvi and Zumo series
Garmin USB/PC Cable for nuvi and Zumo series
Offered by Goldcables
Price: 1.34

1.0 out of 5 stars Cable, 11 Mar 2009
I purchased this because it came up as a linked product with the SAT NAV I purchased at the same time. I actually don't know why I needed it though!

The Lost Villages of England
The Lost Villages of England
by Leigh Driver

4.0 out of 5 stars The Lost Villages Of England, 11 Mar 2009
Interesting book with a wide range of places included. Pictures are clear. I think it would have been better in hard back.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2009 10:15 AM BST