Profile for J. Rees > Reviews

The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden
The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden
by Jonas Jonasson

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 29 May 2014
I was really looking forward to this but was a bit disappointed. If I had read this before the 100-year Old Man (etc) then I wouldn't have bothered reading any more books by this author. It doesn't flow as well and the characters aren't as likeable.

The Crystal Wisdom Oracle
The Crystal Wisdom Oracle
by Judy Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 29 May 2014
I love these cards. The photos are fantastic. So far my choices have been very appropriate. The only slight negative is the accompanying book which is a little confusing. I guess I'll get used to it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2016 10:45 PM BST

The Hour I First Believed
The Hour I First Believed
by Wally Lamb

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent writing, 14 Mar. 2014
I've always liked Wally Lamb's books and this one didn't disappoint me. They can be a little bit depressing but always have redeeming features. This is a thoughtful and heart-wrenching story of the unexpected consequences of other's actions.
Interesting mix of past and present which I wasn't sure of at first but the story came together at the end.

The Most Beautiful Walk in the World: A Pedestrian in Paris
The Most Beautiful Walk in the World: A Pedestrian in Paris
by John Baxter

2.0 out of 5 stars Literary ramblings, 14 Mar. 2014
I found this a little boring and disappointing. I thought, due to the title, that it would be more about walks in different area of Paris. Instead it covered very little distance and only when Hemmingway or Fitzgerald was involved.

The Rough Guide to Corsica
The Rough Guide to Corsica
by David Abram

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Rough Guide that I've seen, 2 May 2010
I'm not a fan of Rough Guides. In the past I've found the writer's opinion a bit condescending and jaded. Lonely Planet guides have until now been my preferred guide. Until this one. It's much better than the Lonely Planet guide for Corsica. The accommodation recommendations were spot on and it included small villages that other guides overlooked. We found a load of information unique to areas that didn't feature in any of the other guides. I highly recommend this guide. Enjoy Corsica. It's beautiful.

The Cartoonist's Workbook
The Cartoonist's Workbook
by Robin Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 12 Aug. 2009
I loved this book. It filled me with enthusiasm from the first page of drawing Keyhole Ken. I couldn't wait to get better and try my own characters.