Profile for Denise Swanson > Reviews

Denise Swanson (UK)

Oppo - HA-2
Oppo - HA-2
Offered by HiFix

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality is amazing and offers a tangible improvement by widening the soundstage ..., 11 April 2016
This review is from: Oppo - HA-2 (Electronics)
Sound quality is amazing and offers a tangible improvement by widening the soundstage and increasing the fidelity when used with a good source, good quality headphones and good quality recordings i.e. minimum CD quality FLACs at 16/44. Makes even more difference with high resolution files such as 24/96 or higher. The separation of instruments is very noticeable and you hear things you hadn't previously even when listening to music you know well. Works well with iPhone 6S Plus and also with home hifi, with speaks and with headphones. Very happy with purchase.

Rattle That Lock
Rattle That Lock

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps getting better, 23 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Rattle That Lock (Blu-ray Audio)
For anyone listening to this album as a low quality MP3 I can perhaps understand the mediocre response - listen to it as intended (as this is the deluxe version) in full 5.1 high res audio, and you cannot help but be impressed. The sound quality is superb, the arrangements match the songs perfectly and the overall production is just compelling. I can't stop listening to it and it just gets better each time.

Yes I'm a Floyd fan since the late sixties but that is kind of missing the point - this isn't Floyd, it is David Gilmour at nearly 70. He isn't going to be producing the same stuff they did back then and why should he? He has earned to right to do what he likes and if that is self-indulgent, so what? But Floyd is inevitably in there and emerges every now and then.

On my first listen, the thing I felt that was missing was - Richard Wright - as his mellifluous tones would certainly have added more depth, but as I listen more, on headphones particularly, the richness of the arrangements and the intricacies of that guitar, come through. Have to say Polly's lyrics are also very good indeed and really match the music.

If you are on the fence about this - don't make a decision based on listening to an MP3 file! Do yourself a favour and buy a proper CD

HDD/SSD SATA III caddy for Apple MacBook (Pro) replaces SuperDrive + slot-in USB case for SuperDrive - 9.5 mm (SATA - SATA) - TheNatural2020
Offered by TheNatural2020

5.0 out of 5 stars Good upgrade, 9 July 2014
Works a treat on a Late 2011 MacBook Pro - easy to install and didn't even need any instructions. Have installed an SSD in the original HDD drive bay and a new 750Gb HDD in the Superdrive bay. I did have to edit the DVD Player Framework file as mentioned in previous reviews but now all is well. Good finish to the external drive caddy, looks match those of the MBP and Thunderbolt screen.

The Traveling Wilburys Collection [2 CD + DVD]
The Traveling Wilburys Collection [2 CD + DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Brilliant! You Wil not bury these!!, 18 Jun. 2007
The only copies I have of these two albums are on cassette tape so I haven't heard them for years. Just bought this today, put the first disc in the cd player and within minutes I could not keep still or concentrate on what I had been doing. My foot kept tapping, my fingers drummed on the table... Just stop whatever you are doing and listen to these albums - the sheer musicianship, songcrafting and playing is superb and the remastering really helps to separate the instruments so you can really tell the individual styles. There are not that many artists of this calibre that demand you stop and listen to them - the Wilburys most certainly are

I do wish it had been released as an SACD however as I am sure that would have been even better. However, I am delighted to hear 'George and the boys' again and sounding as good as ever. A well-deserved UK number one album - long may it remain so.

Undiscovered
Undiscovered
Offered by Todays Great Deal

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime!, 9 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Undiscovered (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of a brief appearance made by James Morrison during the BBC Electronic Proms last year. He appealed to me then and I can say that this album did not disappoint.

It is a superb blend of bluesy yet soulful singing, understated musicianship and some spine-tingling lyrics - you can really feel the pain and the hurt that this guy was feeling - absolutely sublime. Kind of album you really do listen to rather than just play in the background.

The only way in which he can be compared to James Blunt, in my opinion, is that both of these guys have expressed themselves creatively after clearly going through very painful relationships so the lyrics and songs really do grab your heart. Musically however, they are poles apart.

Love
Love
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Let me take you back, 29 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Love (Audio CD)
It's 9.30am Boxing Day morning - rest of the family still in bed. I make a coffee and pick up the Love CD my husband bought me for Christmas. I hadn't asked for it, hadn't really heard anything about it but as a keen Beatles fan with all their vinyl, he and one of my sons thought I might like it.

I put it in the CD player and switched the amp over from aux input to CD, forgetting that the volume is cranked up when using aux. I heard the Across the Universe intro and then suddenly, John's voice burst through the (big) speakers with the opening notes of Because. I grappled for the remote to turn the volume down but stopped - it sounded so fresh, so new, so amazing. The harmonies came in and it was absolutely brilliant. Sod the volume, I left it as it was and just soaked it in - family, and neighbours no doubt, getting a somewhat rude awakening!

It was incredible. Suddenly I was on a magical history tour - I had been transported back almost 40 years. I felt the same excitement that I had felt way back then on getting a new Beatles album for Christmas and rushing upstairs to play it on my then crappy record player. But this was far, far better - the sound was amazing. I hadn't listened to any Beatles for years, avoiding the tired compilation CD's and my old vinyl stopped sounding good a long, long time ago but I found I knew every word to every song. In spite of the familiarity, due to the Martins' clever and creative mixing, bits of songs were mixed in with others making it a real voyage of discovery - like a new album, you simply didn't know what was coming next, which in turn made it even better. That's Piggies in there, that's from Nowhere Man etc. I was in my element.

My husband looked round the door, put his fingers in his ears, cast his eyes heavenward and said it was like watching a teenager - exactly!! I had forgotten what it was like - suddenly I remember the things I was doing, feeling and listening to then. It was like my life had been paused whilst I got married, had a family and grew up - now I have pressed the pause button and let it carry on playing. What an experience.

No, it is not new material as one reviewer said - how could it be? - but if you grew up with the Beatles and you want to feel like a teenager again, buy this and play it as loud as you can but on a real hifi with speakers not an MP3 player with headphones, and preferably in a room on your own so you don't make too big a fool of yourself. You will love it!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2009 11:30 AM GMT