Profile for digit > Reviews

Star Trek: Enterprise - The Full Journey [DVD]
Dvd ~ Scott Bakula
Price: 52.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value collection - packaging not so good, 22 Jan 2014
I've been looking forward to owning Enterprise on dvd as I think it's a great series and I know, as I've only watched episodes sporadically on tv, I'm going to enjoy being able to watch the entire thing in sequence. At 30 and a few pence delivered it was a good purchase. The deduction of a star is for the product packaging which doesn't seem to hold the discs in place well. When I opened the box, of the 4 season 'wallets' inside, 2 had several loose discs which had completely come out of their pockets.

Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black
Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black
Price: 47.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Functions well and seems quite a strong case, 18 Jan 2013
I bought this to replace my first 2.5" external drive (the hard drive for which I'd rescued from a laptop and had bought an external case from Amazon to complete the project).

This one is bigger then the one I put together myself, but doesn't feel much heavier, is still pocket-sized and feels quite robust.

Performance-wise, I'm using it on USB2 under Windows 7 and it seems fast enough. I did remove all the pre-installed software as I prefer to manage my storage options myself.

Having not had experience of USB3 connectors before, it was an education to note that the connector that fits into the drive is different to the USB2 connector I am used to. Although I'm using it as a portable drive going back and forth to work, I'm trying not to keep disconnecting the short lead where it goes into the drive as I am not sure that several connections / disconnections each day would be good for the socket in terms of wear and tear. Possibly me being over-cautious, but doing it this ways works for me.

HMS Marlborough Will Enter Harbour
HMS Marlborough Will Enter Harbour
by Nicholas Monsarrat

4.0 out of 5 stars A cracking story of a battle to survive, 8 Nov 2012
If you are a fan of Nicholas Monsarrat's WW2 stories, this is one worth reading. Not a full length novel, the events take place in a relatively short timespan and the story is confined to the experiences of one allied ship and her crew, centering on the captain's perspective. It is highly atmospheric, at times quite gritty writing and the characters are well drawn. Having had this in paperback as part of a collection of three of Monsarrat's wartime stories, it has been nice for me to finally have it in a hardback volume of its own.

Stars Like Dust
Stars Like Dust
by Isaac Asimov

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 8 Nov 2012
This review is from: Stars Like Dust (Hardcover)
For me, this is one of Asimov's best long stories. I first read it over 40 years ago and have returned to it a few times since along with The End of Eternity which I read around the same time. Asimov was adept in his stories at creating entire societies and introducing interesting sci-fi technologies into them. The adventure-detective story nature of this novel is engaging. My original paperback with its long-detached cover still resides in a cupboard at our house, but it has been nice through Amazon to get it back into my library proper, this time in hardback.

Microsoft Lifecam Cinema HD
Microsoft Lifecam Cinema HD
Offered by Appods
Price: 49.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Unobtrusive and works well for me, 8 Nov 2012
I bought this to replace a creaky old webcam that I last ran under XP and things have certainly come on. I find the picture quality and sound very good. (I have a Blue Snowball mic that I use for pure audio recordings and initially used this to record the audio to go with my Lifecam video, but recently have begun using the Lifecam's built-in mic more and more). I also wanted it to work under both Windows 7 as well as Ubuntu and it has. I find the attachment to the top of my monitor is reasonably good - fortunate maybe that my monitor has a nice flat edge of the right thickness for the camera to sit on. In use the camera tends to stay put; I just have to watch out when dusting!

7dayshop Tripods - Monopod "Deluxe" with Footstand and Case (WT1005)
7dayshop Tripods - Monopod "Deluxe" with Footstand and Case (WT1005)
Offered by 7dayshop Limited (VAT Registered)
Price: 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok for what I bought it to do, 8 Nov 2012
I bought this for attaching my Kodak Zi6 video camera to - it's a small, upright, pocket video camera so weight-bearing wasn't my main consideration; I just wanted a more stable platform for videoing from. For this purpose it has been fine. Personally I don't think I'd put my DSLR on it, however.

Overboard Pro Sports Waterproof Backpack - Red, 30 Litres
Overboard Pro Sports Waterproof Backpack - Red, 30 Litres
Offered by OutdoorGear Outdoor Experts
Price: 59.73

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, a great backpack, 8 Nov 2012
I bought this for using when cycling. This was after a puncture left me caught in the open during a recent downpour where my existing backpack with a waterproof, elasticated cover of the type that needs reproofing (and I really thought I had) hadn't kept out the rain. Fortunately, my data sticks, wallet, phone etc were in a plastic bag inside the backpack but I wasn't going to risk it again.

First thing to say is - it's quite a big step up in capacity for me. My old backpack was full by the time I'd added my lunchbag, spare jumper, overtrousers and work-related papers to the few essential bike tools, mini-pump and couple of spare tubes that lived in the bottom. The OverBoard Waterpoof 30 takes all this and has the same amount of space left again if needed. Because of the roll-down top, I can adjust the size of the bag pretty much to match any extra kit I have to carry. I could certainly get a pair of shoes and some extra trousers in there if I wanted.

The material of the bag seems quite strong to me. The internal space is undivided apart from a zipped pocket to the rear of the inside. I've taken to keeping my mobile phone in there and haven't had any issues thus far.

The OverBoard is heavier than my old backpack, but the shoulder straps are wide and comfortable and I don't notice the difference in weight once I'm wearing it. The chest and tummy straps work well - it was one of the criteria I had when choosing the bag, as I don't like backpacks without them. I added some elastic ties to the straps once I had them properly adjusted to keep them tidy and prevent the excess from flapping about when cycling.

As to the 'waterproofness' (is there such a word?) - I've been out in showers and rain and the contents of my bag have stayed completely dry. Haven't had the opportunity yet to try it in a deluge of the type that saw off my old bag, but I'm pretty confident based on my experience so far that it will cope when it happens.

My one negative would be the mesh pocket on the outside front of the bag. I had hit on the idea of putting my lightweight waterproof cycling jacket in a plastic sleeve and keeping it in the mesh pocket so that if it started to rain, I would be able to get at it without having to open the main bag itself. After only a few uses, the plastic mesh started to come away from the top seam where it joins the zip. Looking at the join, my wife thinks it may be that the mesh hadn't been fully trapped into the zip fabric by the stitching. I hadn't been rough with it and my jacket was flat-packed to about the thickness of an unused jiffy bag so it wasn't putting undue strain on the seams. Anyway, rather than return it, I did a quick fix by adding another strip of material along the bottom of the zip - I actually used some reflective fabric tape I had - and stitched the mesh soundly into it. No issues since, and really this hasn't detracted from what I bought the bag for in the first place - a waterproof backpack.

SUNWIRE 2.5" HDD IDE External Enclosure Case Caddy USB 2.0 - XP/VISTA/WIN-7/MAC - Black
Offered by e4deal UK
Price: 2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me find a use for an old hard drive, 8 Nov 2012
Worked fine - inserted the spare hd I had salvaged from my old laptop and had the whole thing up and running in 5 minutes. So I now have a useful, slimline external drive. It is robust enough for my purposes and I've had no issues porting it around in my backpack on a bike. The leather sleeve that came with fits snugly and it seems to do its job. The stitching in one corner came open and I had to do a quick mend but having the cover was a bonus for me.

PROFESSIONAL WIRELESS WEATHER CENTRE ALARM STATION LCD
PROFESSIONAL WIRELESS WEATHER CENTRE ALARM STATION LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars My first weather station and a good experience, 8 Nov 2012
This was bought for me as a gift and I'll have had it 2 years this Christmas. For my first weather station, it has been very good.

I'm a bit of a techie and a display fan; I love watching graphical displays, symbolic and numerical data. The display on the base station is clear, quite detailed and updates from the external sensor in my experience about every 45 seconds. I find it interesting to use all year round. For me. it's especially useful in the winter mornings getting ready for work to look at it on my bedside table and see the trending barometric pressure, whether it has been raining recently (I have it set for a 1 hour interval) and what the external temperature is.

The external sensor batteries seem to last about a year which I think is quite good.

On the 'things I've noticed' side...

I'm used to equipment manuals, but initially found the user manual's small page size, small print and layout difficult to follow. The most important thing to me is knowing how to re-sync the base station to the remote transmitter after a battery change and how to select different units and time intervals of measurement. I don't use the max and min functions or the alarm function. I still don't like having to change settings on the base station once I have them in place and even resist the temptation to alter the clock when we move from BST to GMT. One day I keep telling myself I will write a simple crib sheet of the things I need to do so I don't have to use the manual.

The wind speed indicator seems a bit low. It may be in part the unavoidable sheltering effect of buildings about 40ft away causing it.

I notice in periods of very cold weather, the low battery warning comes on sometimes, but goes off again when the temperature warms up. As an experiment, I let this go on for several weeks and the station kept on running.

The rain gauge stopped working one day recently so I brought it indoors, unclipped the top cover and found 2 spiders had taken up residence inside. Once I cleaned it out - it was looking a bit green - checked the see-saw was moving smoothly and put it back up, it worked fine. I know now to check this a couple of times a year.

But these are little things really. All told, given the price, I think this is a great piece of kit. It has got me into thinking about running a weather station as a hobby and I'm looking into upgrading to something that can interface with my pc and even allow me to run an online weather station display. But I will still keep this one running as it really has taken little maintenance, given me loads of interest, and for my location in the middle of the UK has been quite accurate.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2012 10:31 PM GMT

City Jet 26"x1.5 Bicycle Tyre with Puncture Protection
City Jet 26"x1.5 Bicycle Tyre with Puncture Protection
Offered by Service Champions
Price: 10.17

2.0 out of 5 stars Initially pleased, but now not so sure, 15 Aug 2012
As a previous user of Marathon Plus (and a veteran of putting them on and getting them off again - Marathon Plus users will know what I mean), I thought I'd try something that I hoped would be a bit easier to fit and remove. And the City Jets certainly were easier to put on. (As an aside - I ordered 2 tyres and they came in 2 separate huge boxes filled with paper packing. I'm guessing I could have got 6 tyres in one box!). Initially I was pleased with the look and feel of them when riding and the rolling benefits of the slicker tread. The central section of each tread where it made contact with the road had a good, thick rubber zone that I imagine was part of the puncture protection.

However, I haven't found the puncture protection as good as the M+. Today I've had to bin a front tyre which is less than 6 months old and has been used for short commutes half a dozen times a week in that period - loads of tread left. It was ripped full thickness by a glass shard on my way home and has left a hole. This isn't a shard that's been there for days - I check my tyres at the end of each day and remove any flints or glass to stop it working its way in. That one bit of glass did the damage.

Now I have no idea whether a M+ would have fared differently, but based on my previous experience of them and the time between punctures, I think it might. So it's back to the M+ for me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2013 1:32 PM BST