Profile for digit > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Overboard Pro Sports Waterproof Backpack - Red, 30 Litres
Overboard Pro Sports Waterproof Backpack - Red, 30 Litres

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, a great backpack, 8 Nov. 2012
I bought this for using when cycling. This was after a puncture left me caught in the open during a recent downpour where my existing backpack with a waterproof, elasticated cover of the type that needs reproofing (and I really thought I had) hadn't kept out the rain. Fortunately, my data sticks, wallet, phone etc were in a plastic bag inside the backpack but I wasn't going to risk it again.

First thing to say is - it's quite a big step up in capacity for me. My old backpack was full by the time I'd added my lunchbag, spare jumper, overtrousers and work-related papers to the few essential bike tools, mini-pump and couple of spare tubes that lived in the bottom. The OverBoard Waterpoof 30 takes all this and has the same amount of space left again if needed. Because of the roll-down top, I can adjust the size of the bag pretty much to match any extra kit I have to carry. I could certainly get a pair of shoes and some extra trousers in there if I wanted.

The material of the bag seems quite strong to me. The internal space is undivided apart from a zipped pocket to the rear of the inside. I've taken to keeping my mobile phone in there and haven't had any issues thus far.

The OverBoard is heavier than my old backpack, but the shoulder straps are wide and comfortable and I don't notice the difference in weight once I'm wearing it. The chest and tummy straps work well - it was one of the criteria I had when choosing the bag, as I don't like backpacks without them. I added some elastic ties to the straps once I had them properly adjusted to keep them tidy and prevent the excess from flapping about when cycling.

As to the 'waterproofness' (is there such a word?) - I've been out in showers and rain and the contents of my bag have stayed completely dry. Haven't had the opportunity yet to try it in a deluge of the type that saw off my old bag, but I'm pretty confident based on my experience so far that it will cope when it happens.

My one negative would be the mesh pocket on the outside front of the bag. I had hit on the idea of putting my lightweight waterproof cycling jacket in a plastic sleeve and keeping it in the mesh pocket so that if it started to rain, I would be able to get at it without having to open the main bag itself. After only a few uses, the plastic mesh started to come away from the top seam where it joins the zip. Looking at the join, my wife thinks it may be that the mesh hadn't been fully trapped into the zip fabric by the stitching. I hadn't been rough with it and my jacket was flat-packed to about the thickness of an unused jiffy bag so it wasn't putting undue strain on the seams. Anyway, rather than return it, I did a quick fix by adding another strip of material along the bottom of the zip - I actually used some reflective fabric tape I had - and stitched the mesh soundly into it. No issues since, and really this hasn't detracted from what I bought the bag for in the first place - a waterproof backpack.

SUNWIRE 2.5" HDD IDE External Enclosure Case Caddy USB 2.0 - XP/VISTA/WIN-7/MAC - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me find a use for an old hard drive, 8 Nov. 2012
Worked fine - inserted the spare hd I had salvaged from my old laptop and had the whole thing up and running in 5 minutes. So I now have a useful, slimline external drive. It is robust enough for my purposes and I've had no issues porting it around in my backpack on a bike. The leather sleeve that came with fits snugly and it seems to do its job. The stitching in one corner came open and I had to do a quick mend but having the cover was a bonus for me.

PROFESSIONAL WIRELESS WEATHER CENTRE ALARM STATION LCD
PROFESSIONAL WIRELESS WEATHER CENTRE ALARM STATION LCD
Offered by Maplin_Webdeals

4.0 out of 5 stars My first weather station and a good experience, 8 Nov. 2012
This was bought for me as a gift and I'll have had it 2 years this Christmas. For my first weather station, it has been very good.

I'm a bit of a techie and a display fan; I love watching graphical displays, symbolic and numerical data. The display on the base station is clear, quite detailed and updates from the external sensor in my experience about every 45 seconds. I find it interesting to use all year round. For me. it's especially useful in the winter mornings getting ready for work to look at it on my bedside table and see the trending barometric pressure, whether it has been raining recently (I have it set for a 1 hour interval) and what the external temperature is.

The external sensor batteries seem to last about a year which I think is quite good.

On the 'things I've noticed' side...

I'm used to equipment manuals, but initially found the user manual's small page size, small print and layout difficult to follow. The most important thing to me is knowing how to re-sync the base station to the remote transmitter after a battery change and how to select different units and time intervals of measurement. I don't use the max and min functions or the alarm function. I still don't like having to change settings on the base station once I have them in place and even resist the temptation to alter the clock when we move from BST to GMT. One day I keep telling myself I will write a simple crib sheet of the things I need to do so I don't have to use the manual.

The wind speed indicator seems a bit low. It may be in part the unavoidable sheltering effect of buildings about 40ft away causing it.

I notice in periods of very cold weather, the low battery warning comes on sometimes, but goes off again when the temperature warms up. As an experiment, I let this go on for several weeks and the station kept on running.

The rain gauge stopped working one day recently so I brought it indoors, unclipped the top cover and found 2 spiders had taken up residence inside. Once I cleaned it out - it was looking a bit green - checked the see-saw was moving smoothly and put it back up, it worked fine. I know now to check this a couple of times a year.

But these are little things really. All told, given the price, I think this is a great piece of kit. It has got me into thinking about running a weather station as a hobby and I'm looking into upgrading to something that can interface with my pc and even allow me to run an online weather station display. But I will still keep this one running as it really has taken little maintenance, given me loads of interest, and for my location in the middle of the UK has been quite accurate.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2012 10:31 PM GMT

City Jet 26"x1.5 Bicycle Tyre with Puncture Protection
City Jet 26"x1.5 Bicycle Tyre with Puncture Protection
Offered by WoollyHatShop

2.0 out of 5 stars Initially pleased, but now not so sure, 15 Aug. 2012
As a previous user of Marathon Plus (and a veteran of putting them on and getting them off again - Marathon Plus users will know what I mean), I thought I'd try something that I hoped would be a bit easier to fit and remove. And the City Jets certainly were easier to put on. (As an aside - I ordered 2 tyres and they came in 2 separate huge boxes filled with paper packing. I'm guessing I could have got 6 tyres in one box!). Initially I was pleased with the look and feel of them when riding and the rolling benefits of the slicker tread. The central section of each tread where it made contact with the road had a good, thick rubber zone that I imagine was part of the puncture protection.

However, I haven't found the puncture protection as good as the M+. Today I've had to bin a front tyre which is less than 6 months old and has been used for short commutes half a dozen times a week in that period - loads of tread left. It was ripped full thickness by a glass shard on my way home and has left a hole. This isn't a shard that's been there for days - I check my tyres at the end of each day and remove any flints or glass to stop it working its way in. That one bit of glass did the damage.

Now I have no idea whether a M+ would have fared differently, but based on my previous experience of them and the time between punctures, I think it might. So it's back to the M+ for me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2013 1:32 PM BST

iGadgitz Pink & White Flowers Silicone Skin Case Cover for Samsung Wave 2 S8530 Android Smartphone Mobile Phone + Screen Protector
Offered by iGadgitz

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good cover, 9 July 2012
My wife's had this on her phone for a good few months and has found it very secure. The pink colour on the corners has just started to wear away a little to reveal a white colour underneath. Other than that, it's as functional as ever.

iGadgitz Black Silicone Skin Case Cover with Tyre Tread Design for Samsung Wave 2 S8530 Android Smartphone Mobile Phone + Screen Protector
Offered by iGadgitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant cover, 9 July 2012
This has been a truly excellent cover which has been in constant use for a good few months now and still looks great. It feels substantial when held and hasn't lost its shape. The tyre tread pattern is nice and gives the cover a fairly non-slip characteristic. The screen protector has been good, though it is starting to peel at the edges, but I wouldn't have expected it to last forever. The cover is still going strong, and that's what matters to me.

Max Value 3.5 inch USB Hard Drive Enclosure for an IDE or SATA Hard Drive
Max Value 3.5 inch USB Hard Drive Enclosure for an IDE or SATA Hard Drive

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional, if a bit fiddly inserting the drive, 9 July 2012
Seems quite robust. I had a struggle fitting the drive inside it as it was a very snug fit - wasn't quite sure whether I was squashing / pinching any of the cables in the process. Once I got the end cover on and powered up, it has worked fine ever since though. The bright blue lights don't really bother me as the drive is beneath my desk - I was more concerned in getting an enclosure that would adequately protect the drive and I think this one does.

Penguin Stress Shape
Penguin Stress Shape

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute!, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Penguin Stress Shape
Being a Linux convert, I was taken by this penguin and it now sits happily on my desk getting an occasional deafening from the speaker behind it. It's small when plonked down next to my 24" monitor and doesn't take up much desk space. It doesn't say or do much either, but hey - it's always nice to see a smile when you're working!

Yamaha F310P2 Full Size Acoustic Guitar Basic Start Pack - Natural
Yamaha F310P2 Full Size Acoustic Guitar Basic Start Pack - Natural
Offered by Rich Tone Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely first steel string guitar, 9 July 2012
I thought long and hard about buying this. As someone who had pootled on guitar on and off down the years, but never got very far, in the back of my mind I thought about a few people I knew who were naturally talented guitar wizards and the realisation that I would never be that good was a bit offputting. Then I thought - hang on, who am I playing for? Me or them?... In need of a hobby I could do at the drop of a hat for as long as I like, I made my mind up that I should give it another go. I decided on a steel string for a change and needing a guitar that wouldn't disappoint me, following the reviews on here the Yamaha F310 was the one I plumped for.

It took a week or so for the strings to settle down. It has taken a lot longer for the ends of the fingers on my left hand to start toughening up(!) but they are doing. I know some people advocate changing the strings on this guitar for something a bit lighter, but I decided to persevere with the strings it came with and now after a couple of months practicing three or four times a week, I can play for an hour or so at a time without it bothering me too much. In fact typing this I can feel the ends of those fingers feel quite different to those on my right hand as they strike the keys.

I'm not an expert on tone of guitars, but it sounds lovely to me. The neck isn't too wide and the frets have been relatively forgiving. In consequence, I've already expanded my knowledge of chords and am learning to fingerpick and use the plectrum for the first time.

The electronic tuner is great and I found it easy to get on with. I also found - for comparison - a couple of online sites where I could tune the strings to a pitched note.

I didn't find the dvd any use to me. I knew a few basic chords already and needing a reference of some kind to refer to, I found a reassuringly thick, spiral bound chord book in town that shows various positions up and down the frets for each chord. I also found if I was trying to remember the positions for the chords in a particular song that drawing all the chords for that song onto a single sheet of A4 paper meant I could play the whole song without flicking back and forth through the book.

Strumming on the Yamaha F310 has given me a lot of pleasure already and I have a feeling it will continue to do so for a long time. It's certainly the best guitar I've owned for encouraging me to 'stick with it' and has made picking up a guitar again an enjoyable experience.

Ford Fiesta Car Stereo/Radio Fitting Kit Fascia/Facia Plate Aerial Adaptor ISO Lead
Offered by RadioWorld

5.0 out of 5 stars Did exactly what I needed it to, 9 July 2012
I'd never replaced a car stereo using an adapter kit of this kind before. All my prevous replacements had been same-size radios fitting into the existing fascia slot. So I was a little nervous of what to expect. The only issues I had when fitting the kit were that one of the surround tabs snapped off when I was inserting the facia plate - I was being careful having read about this happening to other people, yet it still happened - and the need to spend 10 minutes pondering over which plug connected into which socket and how exactly the radio was supported. None of these little problems, which were mainly due to my inexperience, is enough for me to deduct a star. The end result was a smart looking fascia and a new radio looking even smarter nestling in it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4