Profile for Dr GB Dennill > Reviews

Content by Dr GB Dennill

Dr GB Dennill "Aham Brahmasmi" (Azania)

Night & Day-Best of
Night & Day-Best of
Offered by iAlpha Technologies
Price: 4.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Both albums are great, but this compilation (36 tracks on 2 discs ..., 31 July 2014
This review is from: Night & Day-Best of (Audio CD)
During the 80s a friend gave me a tape of Dionne's music. I listened to it so much, especially in my car, that one day it was finished. I threw the broken cassette away, without committing its name to memory. Just yesterday I was browsing through the CDs in a low-grade music store, and I disover this album (and 'Friends'). Both albums are great, but this compilation (36 tracks on 2 discs for 7$)is the bomb. It seems to include all the songs I had loved so much all those years ago, and so many that are new to me, but which are equally brilliant. I see that this is an Australian compilation, and it sounds like the songs have been remastered, because the sound quality is superb. I generally like more serious and heavy music, but there is surely also a place for easy listening MOR music? And in its genre, this is top of the range. The songs are so beautiful, the arrangements and production brilliant - and then that voice! The Cole Porter songs, especially the title track 'Night & Day', bring back childhood memories of my parents' music. All in all, this package is priceless in my opinion. How one can pick up all this artistry for so little money beats me.

Original Album Classics
Original Album Classics
Price: 8.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 60s blues rock, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
The 60s and 70s were the golden era of rock music. I was delighted to find FM's 1st three albums in one very reasonably priced box set. All 3 albums are superb, but the strange collection called 'The pious bird of good omen' takes the cake for me - it includes the original version of 'Black magic woman' which was very beautifully covered by Santana on their equally brilliant second album 'Abraxas'. 'Pious bird...' is without a doubt a 5* album, but by this I mean100% (if one has only 5 stars this means that 81-100% are all 5*). I definitely prefer 'Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac' to later more pop-inclined incarnations of the band. 'Pious bird...' is worth the price of the box set, and the other two albums are a bonus in my opinion - and a jolly good bonus too! I would not want to be without this music. The sound quality of these albums is superb too, and it seems they have been remastered.

Gish
Gish
Offered by westworld-
Price: 19.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 14 April 2011
This review is from: Gish (Audio CD)
I am not a 'Pumpkins Fan'. Being a little old for this, I have spent most of my adult life filling in the gaps on 60s and 70s, which I still believe was the golden age of rock music. However, one day was one day when I decided to check the Pumpkins out. And I started at the beginning - with 'Gish'. And gosh, what a find Gish was! I simply love this album, and liken it to U2's "Achtung Baby". Beneath the sometimes harsh and apparently hectic overlays and the most exquisite rhythms and lyrics. This is so rich, complex, so satisfying in the long term. And what I like most is that I find it difficult to 'remember' this music; so that each time I listen, it is as if I re-discover it. And so the enjoyment is repeated upon each listening. Subsequently bought "Siamese Dream" & "Mellon Collie...", but sorry - gish remains the masterpiece for me. Bravo Smashing Pumpkins!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2014 1:45 PM BST