Profile for Georgey > Reviews

Content by Georgey

Georgey "Rambling Tea Drinker" (England)

BioShock Infinite (Xbox 360)
BioShock Infinite (Xbox 360)
Offered by GAMES CONSOLES BARGAIN
Price: 14.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game, but expected more, 7 Jun 2013
I think, with Bioshock Infinite, I made the mistake of focusing too much on the 'Bioshock' aspect of the title. As a big fan of Bioshock 1 and 2, with its eerie atmosphere and spliced up foes, Infinite was too much of a shooter for my liking. As a stand-alone, disregarding the prequels, I did enjoy it, especially the foray into the idea of parallel universes and a sliding-doors esque style of thought. The voice acting was brilliant and the storyline was engaging. I wasn't fond of the replacement for plasmids the game introduced (again, this is probably because I liked the other games so much), and sometimes the game had a bit of a repetitive feel to it.

I suppose I just missed the creepier elements of Rapture and its denizens.

The Exile and the Sorcerer (Lyremouth Chronicles Book 1)
The Exile and the Sorcerer (Lyremouth Chronicles Book 1)
Price: 4.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Swords, sorcery, and lesbians, 7 Jun 2013
I really enjoyed this book. I've been looking for something in the fantasy genre (admittedly, a favourite) that wasn't predominately heterosexual (as most mainstream fantasy novels are) when it came to a romantic element, and I wasn't disappointed with Fletcher's book. This was my first foray into gay/lesbian fantasy, and I thoroughly enjoyed it - so much so, that I've continued with the series, and had a browse of her other work as well. The characters are well-written, and I love the way Fletcher describes the way in which magic is perceived by those who wield it. Her portrayal of the different societies she's created is also fascinating, especially that of the matriarchal tribes, and the way in which Fletcher presents issues of gender identity, heteronormative assumptions, and homophobia.

In Too Deep
In Too Deep
Price: 3.28

3.0 out of 5 stars Erotica with a little murder mystery thrown in, 7 Jun 2013
This review is from: In Too Deep (Kindle Edition)
As my first foray into lesbian fiction, this was more or less what I expected. The murder mystery element was engaging enough, but really formed a backdrop more than a main plotline (again, this was expected). I liked the characters and Black's prose is decently written, if a little cliche. Not to be taken too seriously, I think.

The Sims 3 (PC/Mac DVD)
The Sims 3 (PC/Mac DVD)
Offered by clickforgamesltd
Price: 17.99

3.0 out of 5 stars No problem with compatibility but the gameplay...?, 19 July 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Sims 3 (PC/Mac DVD) (CD-ROM)
Being a big fan of Sims 1 and 2, when I heard that The Sims 3 was coming out I was ecstatic. Having heard the first few online announcements, I eagerly waited the arrival of the new game, and finally managed to get my hands on a copy when it was released. It installed with no problems, and I've had no issues with crashes or 'fatal errors'. The reason for my 3 star rating is the gameplay itself. One of the things I loved about Sims 2, as many other people have mentioned, is the focus on individual families and the 'bigger picture' interactions in neighbourhoods, of which you could have has many as you like (which made sharing the game with my sisters that much easier). Families could be created, raised and later start relationships with other families to create one big interlinking neighbourhood with grandparents in one house etc. Naturally, upon playing Sims 3 I took this feature for granted. I set up a couple of families, and started playing with one. Imagine my shock when, upon 'visiting' the other family to start off premeditated relations, I found that the single father with a toddler had suddenly turned into a family of five; random characters who I'd never seen before were happily going about their business in the house I'd painstakingly created - who the hell was this 'Bubba' child toddling around? For a game that supposedly has the 'God' role of the player in mind, this seems a tad too close to sentience. I can understand the lack of decent hairstyles and clothing being due to the fact that this is the basic game but having to create whole new neighbourhoods (of which there is only one kind - two if you've downloaded the other one from the store) for new families is a tad much. The seamless neighbourhood is nice, but the fast forward is unmercifully slow and the lack of cut scenes for major events makes this game very boring after only a couple of hours. I shall be falling back on Sims 2 for my 'Simming' needs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2009 11:02 PM BST