Profile for Rob Carrington > Reviews

Content by Rob Carrington

Rob Carrington

Zero Day (John Puller Series Book 1)
Zero Day (John Puller Series Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Lazy Reacher clone, 4 July 2015
I've read other Baldacci books and while I wouldn't say I'm a fan he's certainly better than this uninspired rubbish. I wasn't expecting anything particularly original here but it reads like Reacher fan fic.

The Three-Body Problem
The Three-Body Problem

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow descent into nonsense and poorly thought out ideas, 4 July 2015
This was a book of 2 parts for me. I really enjoyed the 1st part, it's slow and gives some interesting insight into an area I'm not at all familiar with, China and the Cultural Revolution. The 2nd part however is just nonsense. Firstly, absurdly 2 dimensional characters and stilted dialogue that reminded me of badly dubbed martial arts movies. It might be that something is lost in translation but I'm not convinced. Secondly the science and ideas towards the end mostly get stupid and stupider. That's not to say there aren't some good and interesting ideas (especially relating to the aliens) but that just serves to make the poorly thought out ideas stand out more.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Super-Advanced High Zoom Camera (18.2MP, 20x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD

1.0 out of 5 stars Decent camera, terrible robustness and customer service from Sony, 19 Sept. 2013
This camera feels really solid and hefty so I expected it to be able to take some punishment. Still as with all expensive products I was very careful with it, kept it in it's case when not in use, didn't drop it, kept it clean etc. A week into the holiday that I bought this camera for the lens/zoom mechanism started playing up, a week after that the camera completely failed. Apparently a few grains of sand got inside and broke it.

When I got back I sent it back to Sony to get repaired. A couple of weeks later they returned it, unrepaired, saying the damage was too expensive and the warranty doesn't cover sand damage anyway. I phoned up to talk about options and it got escalated to another department. It took almost 2 weeks for them to get back to me at which point they just kept repeating that the warranty was void and they wouldn't do anything.

Thankfully, Amazon customer service on the matter once again proved to be excellent.

The Heresy Within (The Ties that Bind Book 1)
The Heresy Within (The Ties that Bind Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 May 2013
My experience with self-published books isn't great but there was nothing else I wanted, the synopsis seemed interesting enough and it was 77p. I'm really glad I bought it. Well written, great characters, interesting story, plenty of action. Reminded me of Joe Abercrombie's stuff, same vein of dark humour. Already bought the other 2 books in the trilogy.

The Dragon's Path: Book 1 of The Dagger and the Coin
The Dragon's Path: Book 1 of The Dagger and the Coin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a series, I think I like it more than the Long Price books, 4 Jan. 2013
I'd read and quite liked Daniel Abraham's Long Price series but the reviews for this didn't seem as good and I never got round to reading it. Recently I got bored and decided to give it a go and I'm glad I did. The book is structured with each chapter following a particular character (like the Game of Thones series). I often find this becomes annoying as certain characters are inevitably more interesting than others. I found that to be less of a case in this book, with characters been very different but generally equally interesting. I still found the odd chapter annoying but never found myself wanting to skip an entire character. I especially liked the ending (even if the reveal was fairly obvious from early in the book) and am very much looking forward to reading the next book(s) in the series.

Malice (The Faithful and The Fallen Series Book 1)
Malice (The Faithful and The Fallen Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars By the numbers black and white fantasy., 1 Jan. 2013
I didn't particularly like this book but I imagine a younger audience might lap it up. The writing is functional, certainly nothing special but I've read much worse. The story however is every common heroic fantasy cliche/trope shoehorned into 1 book and for me it got tiresome quickly. For the reviewer comparing this to the output of Robin Hobb, Joe Abercrombie and Mark Lawrence, I just can't see it. They're darker, the characters more interesting and coherent, the twists less certain, very little is black and white. In this book almost everything is black and white, from ridiculously good heroes to completely evil pantomime villains. Some people like that and you'll probably love this but otherwise steer clear.

The Skye Trail: A Journey Through the Isle of Skye
The Skye Trail: A Journey Through the Isle of Skye
by Cameron McNeish

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice photo book, not a great guide book, 5 Oct. 2012
If you want a book with nice photos and descriptions of Skye this is a decent book. If you are actually thinking about doing the Skye Trail then I'd say this is very light on useful detail. You'd be far better off following the maps, guides and advice at the walkhighlands.co.uk website (I'm not affiliated, I just found it very helpful when I was planning my trip).

Talion: Revenant
Talion: Revenant

1.0 out of 5 stars The most badly written book I've read yet., 5 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Talion: Revenant (Kindle Edition)
I got this because the premise sounded somewhat interesting, the reviews were great and the price was low. I wish I'd done more research.

I've read 3 chapters and it's so badly written that I'm not sure I'm going to continue. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece but it reads like something a school kid might write (which is possibly what it is as this was his 1st book). Nothing flows well and there is some very awkward sentence construction. A lot of description in it seems like unnecessary padding at best, and at worst doesn't make sense or misuses words. I can't say much about the story as I've only read 3 chapters but so far it's not been interesting enough to enable me to get past the terrible writing and I have doubts that it will improve.

Given the almost universal glowing praise for this book I can only assume that almost everyone who has written reviews of this book on the internet are young children or friends and family of the author.

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy)
The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy)

2.0 out of 5 stars Battle Royale for teenage girls, 20 Mar. 2012
This book clearly isn't aimed at me (30yo male) but I read it anyway. The writing is ok in that it didn't annoy me like a Dan Brown book. On the other hand the premise really didn't make much sense to me, and the characters reactions to the various situations seemed at times very unrealistic. The whole world just doesn't quite fit together properly. I can understand why, if it did fit properly it would be unremittingly grim and everyone would either be dead or psychotic by the end of the book. Unfortunately they're not, and everyone is more concerned about romance than the fact children are being pitted against each other in gladiatorial combat and spliced together with dogs.

Ultralight Backpackin' Tips: 153 Amazing & Inexpensive Tips For Extremely Lightweight Camping

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book but doesn't translate that well for non-US readers, 28 Jan. 2012
I came across this book after reading a review on a blog I like (Hiking in Finland). I liked the book however there are some caveats that I might be useful for people thinking about purchasing it.

Firstly the good stuff, the pictures and diagrams are clear, fun and interesting. The writing is straightforward and informal. A lot is common sense but there are some very nice little tips and ideas scattered through out. It's also nice to have a concise guide of the things to remember during the process of preparing for a backpacking trip and it's useful whether you're going ultra-light or not. I'm actually not an ultralight backpacker (probably mid, maybe lower, light) but I'll still be trying to incorporate a decent number of things from this into my future trips.

However there are a few things that don't translate that well to a non-US audience (I'm sure it wasn't aimed at us, but there isn't anything on the cover/summary blurb that indicates how US-centric it is). For a start the bear tips are completely meaningless in most of the rest of the world I'd imagine, certainly in the UK anyway. I felt some of the tips would not do so well in the UK due to very different weather systems (hot/dry weather with odd heavy storm vs continual rain, very little sun, mild temperatures) but at the same time it does make it clear in the book that you should plan according to the weather you're likely to see (not that you should need a book to tell you that). There are also a variety of words that I assume make perfect sense across the pond but I had no idea about (eg Tyvek). This is especially bad in the food section where it almost seems like a foreign language. Another thing that is bound to drive some people up the wall is that all measurements are imperial, in the UK depending on the type of measurement or on your age that might be ok, but everywhere else you're going to be looking up conversion rates and doing mental arithmetic all the time. Also regarding the food ideas at the back, if you have nut allergies or just don't like them, then you're not going to get as much out of it (although there are still useful tips in there) as I think all the recipes have a lot of nuts in various forms in them.

In summary, the book is good but if you're not from the US you're going to get a little bit less out of it and you're going to have to work harder for it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2012 8:52 PM BST