Profile for Lesley Lodge > Reviews

Content by Lesley Lodge

Lesley Lodge "lesley lodge" (Bedfordshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
30cm SHEEP SHEARS NIPPERS-VETERINARY
30cm SHEEP SHEARS NIPPERS-VETERINARY
Offered by FA Industries
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful clippers, 14 July 2014
Arrived quickly. As described. Nice and sharp, easy to use. Now if only the sheep would stand still....
Handy for dead-heading the roses etc as well.

I want You to be Mine - A Contemporary Romance (Love and Passion on Cruises Book 1)
Price: 2.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Love, passion - and more!, 8 July 2014
This story has an intriguing beginning in which the heroine, Julia, acts instinctively to leave long-term, domineering boyfriend Fabio behind and take off on their romantic cruise - alone! We share Julia's innermost thoughts as she wrestles with indecision, doubt, sexual attraction (to other terrific characters on the cruise) and the beginnings of an overwhelming passion. This being a story for today's world there are some steamy sex scenes. There are also some great, evocative descriptions of the famous European places she visits: Marseille, Barcelona and more. Details of her various stylish outfits give a very visual feel to the reader. I was pleased to see that this is one story in a series - looking forward to the next!

Valley of Wild Horses
Valley of Wild Horses
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A nicely paced older style read, 25 April 2014
I bought this kindle book - I admit it - mainly for the horses. And there are lots of them: the story is about rounding up wild horses. It's more of an older style Western, with lots of dramatic tension between the cowboy protagonist and his bitter enemy. Having said that, it's very readable (unlike some books of the same period) and there are some unexpected twists and turns.Horse and Pony Colours: Which one would you choose?

Go Travel Waterproof Dry Kindle Touch Pouch Sleeve - Go768
Go Travel Waterproof Dry Kindle Touch Pouch Sleeve - Go768
Offered by Just Sport and Leisure
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I can read in the bath!, 25 April 2014
OK, most people are like to buy this for their adventure holidays in steamy rainforests, or their lazy sunny holidays by the pool or sea (tip: it keeps the sand out too) and this will do very well for them. But me, I bought it for the bath. When I first bought my Kindle, the one problem was not being able to read in the bath (yes, I used to mistreat my paperbacks just a little). But now I can.

Black Beauty (Scholastic Classics)
Black Beauty (Scholastic Classics)
Price: 3.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Beauty - THE classic version, 25 April 2014
Most people have read a version of Black Beauty and I'd read it when I was a teenager. It's the book that changed attitudes towards cruelty to horses and I thought I'd remembered the book fairly well: the handsome, patient black horse who "narrates" the story, cheerful little Merrylegs the pony and the infamous Ginger who tries to fight back. But there is so much more. It captures the world of the late 1800s for humans and horses alike. This book is a really good read in its own right, definitely rewards re-reading. Recommended!

The Siege of Colchester 1648
The Siege of Colchester 1648
by Phil Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars All about one of the greatest sieges in British history, 25 April 2014
This book covers it all: the background, the politics, the military battles and the horrors faced by all in the siege, Royalists and townspeople alike. I read it because I'm researching for a historical crime novel I'm writing but I found it a gripping read in itself - it is written for the general reader. I later bought some of the primary sources (at some expense I might add) - only to find that author Phil Jones has captured all the main points anyway. It includes illustrations (modern and contemporary), a helpful timeline, extensive bibliography for further reading (and you will probably want to read more around this part of the English Civil War) and maps. I even went to the town of Colchester itself and yes, as Phil Jones says, you can still see the holes made by musket balls in the old Siege House. [...]

Applying to University: The Essential Guide (2013 edition) (Need2Know Books Book 166)
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars As the title says: essential!, 6 Feb 2014
My youngest is just going through university now and while the earlier edition of this was invaluable at the application stage, this edition is both essential and bang up to date. Use it to make those crucial lists: what to do, what not to do and so on. Lots of real examples too.

Super Teacher's Six Success Steps: Winning Teaching Methods with Active Brain Based Learning and Teaching (Super Teacher Series Book 2)
Price: 2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what is says on the tin - and so much more, 26 Jan 2014
This book promises to help you “be the outrageously successful teacher you know in your heart you can be” – then does exactly that. In the UK, as in most countries these days, there is enormous pressure on teachers and their performance while student boredom is the big obstacle teachers face. This is the second book I’ve read by this author (second in his series too) and it focuses on the “how to” of Active Brain Based Learning and Teaching, taking you through a six-step programme to successful teaching. This on its own would be valuable enough but also this author thoroughly engages the reader. He does this with a fresh and informal style and by making the book interactive in parts; he eerily anticipated my initial resistance to some of the suggestions, making me think thorough what he is saying, and showing me both the “why” and the “how” of his solutions and convincing me thoroughly. I’ve taught in a couple of tough inner city schools in London and the difficulties he describes and the practical examples of techniques and solutions really resonated with me. I actually found myself visualising specific difficult classroom experiences I’ve had quite vividly – then visualising them again with me using the techniques in the book. Amazing.
One of the tricks recommended for successful teaching is around gestures – the author makes a very convincing case for how gestures, used by both teacher and students, reinforce learning effectively and - crucially - make for its retention in students’ long-term memory. At the end, there are two useful appendices, packed with examples of gestures to use for language learning and maths learning respectively.
I strongly recommend anyone who teaches or is thinking of teaching, to read this book and I’ve just recommended it to my son, who is due to start teaching this year.

Roberts Classic997 3 Band LW/MW/FM Portable Radio - Black
Roberts Classic997 3 Band LW/MW/FM Portable Radio - Black
Price: 30.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 25 Jan 2014
Bought it for carrying about the house. Gets a good signal, sounds clear. Resolves the problem we had with more modern, DAB radios (interference when you put the lights on). Good value for money.

Tequila Mockingbird
Tequila Mockingbird
by Tim Federle
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun present - practical too, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: Tequila Mockingbird (Hardcover)
Great recipes for unusual cocktails but best part is the fun naming of each cocktail. Well-presented in a good quality format.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6