Profile for Ocular > Reviews

Content by Ocular

Ocular

Veetop® Dual USB High Speed (MFI Certified) Car Charger UPGRADE 3.4Amp 15.5W - 2.4A & 1.0A, Smart charging for all iPhones (5S, 5C, 5, 4S, 3GS, 3G),iPad Air, iPad Mini, Apple iOS7, iPod,iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy S5/S4/S3/Note 2/3, Nexus, Sony, Nokia, HTC, LG, Motorora,Huawei, Lenovo, ZTE, GPS,Smartphones & Tablets (Black/Green)
Offered by Veetop

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust, Low-profile, discreet and does exactly what it should, 15 May 2014
I wanted a small, well-made dual USB charger that didn't sit too "proud" of the 12V socket (and therefore get in the way).

That's exactly what this charger is.

Sure, you can buy others that are slightly cheaper, but this is the one you should've bought all along.
Also, the LED isn't so bright to be distracting, unlike many others.

Mil-Tec Military Army Patrol MOLLE Assault Pack Tactical Combat Rucksack Backpack Bag 36L Black
Offered by CamoOutdoor - The Sports & Camouflage Outfitters

4.0 out of 5 stars Very tough, well-thought out., 23 Feb 2014
This is very, very thick and treated nylon, with particularly chunky zips. It's going to be nearly indestructible, like the very best camera bags.

Things I like:

It will outlast a cockroach.
It's pretty big, and expandable by releasing the compression straps.
You can open the zips all the way so the main compartment "hinges" open at the bottom.
There are plenty of pockets to keep things organized.
There's a fairly rubbish waist strap, but you can remove it.
You can tuck all the extra straps away inside the MOLLE webs so there's not too much flapping about.

Things I don't like:
The compression straps are annoying. They'll crush whatever you put in there and get in the way of pretty much all zips.
I'd rather the padded insulating pocket for the drink bladder wasn't there at all, or you could take it off to reveal air channels; with a heavy load it'll be pressed against your back and it'll be sweaty.

Very tough overall, which was my main criterion.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, but slow to write large files, with a useless keychain attachment, 1 Mar 2013
Obviously, the size of this USB drive is its selling point, and it is indeed tiny - it's about the size of a finger nail in area, and about 4mm thick at its thickest. The size means it goes everywhere with me, which is extremely handy

The speed of writing is really pretty poor, however: doing a sustained write (i.e. you write a very large single file constantly) in 64kByte chunks is giving around 3.5 MBytes/sec -- or just over 2 and a half hours to fill the full 32 GBytes!

However, my gripe with it is that there's a small metal loop ostensibly for putting it on a keyring. The loop is too small for most "normal" keyring so I found a tiny metal ring which allowed me to hang the USB drive on my keys. Annoyingly the metal loop on the USB drive has just now broken (after 5 months), so I found the USB drive in my pocket, no longer attached to my keys. It's a design flaw, in my eyes.

Wrecking Ball
Wrecking Ball

5.0 out of 5 stars Grows on you from the second listen - I just had to buy it (twice) and flights, and hotels..., 14 April 2012
This review is from: Wrecking Ball (Audio CD)
I've been a Springsteen fan for many, many years, although I don't love everything he's done; "Magic" feels particularly empty. Wrecking Ball surprised me a little on first listen as there's an unexpected range of music from borderline rap (Rocky Ground) to country (We Are Alive). It's like hearing to "Devils & Dust" for the first time -- I was a little perplexed by the new directions while being aware that Springsteen was in total control of what he was doing.
Now I've listened to it more, the album has gelled as a whole, and I think it's become my favourite Springsteen record.

I've stopped buying CDs, relying instead on Spotify for just about all of my music. I played Wrecking Ball to my father, who demanded I buy him a copy, and a couple of days later I realized I had to have my own physical copy too. Now I've just booked tickets, flights and hotels to see Springsteen in Dublin. It's become expensive, this avoiding buying physical CDs!

One thing: I'd go for the deluxe version; Spotify played the full version including "American Land" at the end. The album suffers from its omission.

Squeezebox Wireless Network Music Player - All Black
Squeezebox Wireless Network Music Player - All Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure class, 3 Mar 2007
This device is the king of music players. It'll play just about any file format going (although FLAC is probably the best choice), produce excellent quality sound (it surpasses a great many dedicated CD players), and allow you to flick through your music collection extremely quickly. The screen's nice and bright, and can be read from across the room.

If you're looking for a device with a display remote, you can use a Nokia N800 or other similar wireless internet tablet: the SlimServer software includes a Nokia skin. The slimserver can also be accessed by any web browser on your network, or restricted by a password. Multiple squeezeboxes can be synchronized, or play separately.

If you're in to internet radio, support's great, because it'll stream just about anything -- add the AlienBBC plugin and you get simple access to all the BBC streams.

Honestly, this device makes other players look like overpriced feature-weak junk. And no, I don't work for SlimDevices.

A Dictionary of Modern English Usage (Wordsworth Reference)
A Dictionary of Modern English Usage (Wordsworth Reference)
by Henry W. Fowler

2.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use; difficult to read, 15 Aug 2006
This book is extremely simple to understand -- the title of "Dictionary" is very appropriate, however the terrible printing and layout mean once you've found the entry you're looking for it's difficult to read.

On some pages it's tricky even to visually distinguish the boldface words from the body text, relegating this book to the shelf.