Profile for CC > Reviews

At My Mother's Knee ...
At My Mother's Knee ...
by Paul O'Grady

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 22 Nov. 2008
This was a fantastic read and one I managed to complete very quickly. I loved the early years of Paul's life in which he describes his mother and aunts. It reminded me so much of my long missed grandmother and the things that those women of a post war era got up to.
Absolutely loved the way the book was set out, it was coherent unlike some autobiographies and gave a great insight into Paul's life that is honest and forthright. The later years were interesting and again very honest. This man has certainly lead a very interesting life (and the book ends when he is eighteen)and I can't wait to read the next installment and find out how LIly Savage came to be and what other (mis)adventures Paul got up to in the proceeding years.
Highly recommended.

His Comfort and Joy (Silhouette Special Edition)
His Comfort and Joy (Silhouette Special Edition)
by Jessica Bird

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 10 April 2008
This was a good book, I read it very quickly (one day!)
The characters have appeared in other books by Jessica Bird so it was nice to see them getting their happy ever after.
I would have given this book a five star rating but there was something lacking in this story. It did all seem to be about Gray, the hero, and his feelings and not so much about Joy, the heroine.
I understand that the path to true love is not a smooth one in romance novels, but the issues in this book focussed solely on the hero and the happy ever after relied upon him getting over his hang ups.
Despite this though, the characters were well established and I will be reading more from this author.

A Man in a Million (Silhouette Special Large Print)
A Man in a Million (Silhouette Special Large Print)
by Jessica Bird

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 10 April 2008
This is the third book I have read by Jessica Bird and it is fantastic. Her characters are engaging and the stories always leave me wanting more. I think most, if not all, of the books are linked through certain characters and it's nice to read snippets about previous characters I have already read about.
Spike and Mad's story is wonderfully written and well paced, I managed to read it in less than 24 hours! This isn't always a good thing because it just leaves me wanting to read more but it is always a good sign that the book is a good one, worthy of my time.
I am ordering the rest of the books by this author and hope to enjoy them as much as this one.

Halfway to the Grave: A Night Huntress Novel
Halfway to the Grave: A Night Huntress Novel
by Jeaniene Frost

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked...., 3 April 2008
I bought this book on impulse after having spent about two hours in the book shop (not unusual for me) but I was determined to buy something.
I was not sure what to expect but this book was fantastic. I absolutely fell in love with the characters (one in particular) and loved the flow of the story.
Cat Crawfield is a half human half vampire who kills vampires, believing them all to be evil killers. The story picks up pace quickly and soon Bones is introduced and I was captured. I will admit that bones did put me in mind of Spike from Buffy as other reviewers have mentioned, but I was able to get past this fact mainly because I am a Buffy fan and was a huge Spike fan and miss the series.
I was a little shocked at the ending because this book is offered as paranormal romance, but there is a sequel coming in April 08 and I do really hope that things turn out differently by the end of that book. I am a romance fan, paranormal or otherwise, and do hope the series sticks with that premise.
Other than the ending which only left me wanting more, I enjoyed this book and have not felt so wholly captured since reading the first Black Dagger Brotherhood book by JR Ward.
Eagerly awaiting the second book while waiting for the next BDB installment.

Lover Unbound: Number 5 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
Lover Unbound: Number 5 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
by J. R. Ward

3.0 out of 5 stars Ending ruined it for me...., 31 Mar. 2008
I am a huge fan of the BDB, have read all the books in the series and enjoyed them all (some more than others.)
I was not overly fussed on the previous book but that had a lot to do with the characters, but I eagerly awaited this installment because I had read so much about Vishous and couldn't wait to read his story.
I found myself very disappointed however with Lover Unbound. I did not like the Heroin and the Hero lost somewhat of the intrigue that had attracted me thus far. There weren't enough scenes with the main characters by far and we seemed to get more of Phury and his female than anyone else. I am all for developing future characters but they should not dominate another characters story.
I liked reading about the others but could have done with more about Jane and Vishous because frankly I just did not find myself caring when they were in a scene.
My main bone of contention with this book overall is the dreadful ending. It makes no sense and feels too much like the author had run out of ways to keep human companions with their vampire partners.
I still have not reconciled myself with the ending but I am going to get Lover Enshrined, Phury's book, simply to keep up the series.
I would only recommend buying this book if you are prepared to leave it on the shelf once it's read like I have.

Dirty Dancing [DVD]
Dirty Dancing [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Grey
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 30 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Dirty Dancing [DVD] (DVD)
I first watched this film, oddly enough, when I was in hospital and aged about seven ot eight. They had it in the video collection in the T.V. room. I watched it with another girl who had already seen it, and once the movie ended, I had fallen in love. (Depsite my age).
I don't care what anyone says, this movie is fantastic. It has lasted so long because it taps into what most girls secretly want and desire. A good old fashioned romance. How many girls would love to go on holiday and fall in love? Especially if the object of our affections was Patrick Swayze.
I have spoken to men who have seen this movie and didn't like it and the main objection seems to be Patrick Swayze. Jealous anyone?
Men, for the most part, are not going to like this movie because the hero (Swayze) puts them to shame. Don't get me wrong, there are some men who know how to appreciate a good film and don't pan it because it makes them feel/look inadequate. Those men know how to romance their girl and are no doubt duely rewarded!
The film has fantastic acting, dancing and follows a realistic story.
I did always get the sense that it was more eighties than sixties, but that never bothered me.
The soundtrack is brilliant and the love story heart warming. I always get a sense of longevity where Baby and Johnny are concerned once the movie ends. I am grateful that the sequel, which was equally as good but for different reasons, did not interfere with this movies ending.
Well worth five stars and more.
A classic that will survive another 20 years I have no doubt.

Footloose [1984] [DVD]
Footloose [1984] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kevin Bacon
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Classic, 30 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Footloose [1984] [DVD] (DVD)
An absolutely fantastic fun film. It has stood the test of time and remains near the top of the list along with Grease and Dirty Dancing for a good night in.
Highly recommend watching this film,if not to take it seriously, to have a good laugh.

Hoodwinked! [DVD] [2005] [2006]
Hoodwinked! [DVD] [2005] [2006]
Dvd ~ Anne Hathaway
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 30 Sept. 2007
It took a long time before I finally bought this dvd for my daughter. Mainly because I hadn't heard a lot about it.
However, after seeing it advertised on another dvd, my daughter (5) asked me if she could have it and so I bought it for her birthday.
I must say the entire family sat around to watch and no one was dissapointed. Even my dad who is 54 loved it!
The plot is clevely done and the characters are hilarious, especially Granny (aka triple G.)
In all, I would highly recommend this film to anyone. It is not as hiped as movies such as Shrek and Flushed Away, but it is equally as good.

Marrying for Money
Marrying for Money
by Chrissie Manby

1.0 out of 5 stars Literally unbelievable, 6 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Marrying for Money (Paperback)
I have to agree with another reviewer who said this story was unbelievable.
I got this book as a present from my best friend for my birthday and because I had never read a book by this author before decided to read it straight away.
It was going well and I was actually enjoying the story until just over half way through and then there was an unreal amnesia story thrown into the plot. I found myself becoming really confused and not liking the direction the book took. It was totally unreal and I almost stopped reading the thing becauseI was able to guess what was going to happen next and didn't like some of the things being said.
In the end everything worked out just a little bit too nicely without there being any real justified reason for it doing so.
I will not be reading another Chris Manby book in case it is just as awful as this one. It would not have been as bad if it remained as good and promising as the first half.
Not recommended.

Bought by her Husband (Mills & Boon Modern)
Bought by her Husband (Mills & Boon Modern)
by Sharon Kendrick

1.0 out of 5 stars Un-original, 3 May 2007
WARNING: SPOILERS!

I was not overly impressed with this book.

The fact that the "hero" was engaging in oral sex in the opening chapter put me off straight away.

Not because I am prudish or anything, but because it just isn't right to get an image of the "hero" having sexual relations with someone other than the "heroine."

The plot left little to excite and there did not really seem any real reason why the main characters should be together other than good sex.

Seven years ago Alexei mistakenly believed Victoria had cheated on him and they split up. Fine.

Victoria tried to contact him but he ignored her correspondence and eventually she gave up and got on with her life.

Seven years later, surprise, surprise, Victoria needs help from her BILLIONAIRE! husband. Because poor little Victoria has got herself into debt trying to run her own business.

Well, of course she has, after all she isn't as intelligent as her rich husband, who incidently inherited his money!

The fact that Victoria is a woman with qualifications doesn't seem to get her any credit and there is no real reason given as to why or how she came to be such a bad businesswoman.

So, she goes crawling to Alexei for a divorce because she is entitled to a settlement for just a year of marriage and she needs to pay her friend who works for her.

Alexei, of course, is still angry and bitter towards his cheating wife and says he will give her all the money she wants if she becomes his mistress.

Victoria agrees and thus begins an uneventful affair.

I am not a feminist but it really irked me that the auther of this book felt the need to have the female lead a useless businesswoman who had to go crawling back to her husband because she can't run a successful business. Why couldn't she? She has brains and the credentials, why, after seven years has she failed to create a stabe life for herself?

And as for Alexei.... He has been going with all kinds of women, in particular an EMPLOYEE! Very professional. Not!

Sure, the guy has been separated from his wife for seven years, we don't expect him to have been celibate, but Victoria on the other hand has remained untouched in those seven years.

Why? Because no other man even comes close to matching up to her husband. It annoyed me greatly that the auther felt the need for such a double standard. Why couldn't Victoria have been having relations with other men, or at least have had a relationship with another man? Why was it essential that the wife had only ever experienced the touch of her husband but he, not only had been with other women but was with one at the beginning of the story while on the phone to his wife!?

The worst part of this story. for me, was that Victoria found out at the end that Alexei had been getting oral sex while talking on the phone with her.

This was unfair and showed Alexei to be a liar because earlier in the book he had said that after her phone call he could think of no other woman than her. Well once the call had ended the woman came back in and they resumed their "session."

Just a few pages before the usual "I love you." "I love you too." ending that all readers of romance expect, husband and wife were still arguing and then suddenly everything was resolved in the blink of an eye and they lived happily ever after.

In reality the fact that Alexei had lied to Victoria and been sleeping with another woman would be a constant thorn in her side. There is no way they could carry on unless Victoria had completely relinquished her pride.

I did not like this book and was grateful that I bought it from a charity shop for just 20p.

Don't waste your money, please.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5