Profile for CC > Reviews

Practical Magic [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Sandra Bullock
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars You put the lime in the coconut....., 27 May 2006
This review is from: Practical Magic [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
....And drink it all up. And that's exactly what i did with this movie.

Me, my mum, my sister and my best friend all love this film.

I haven't read the book and didn't even know that there was one, but i plan on buying and reading it. It wont matter if it's different from the film because i love this film ayway.

Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman shine on screen and make for good acting partners, which i found surprising.

Goran Visjnic (i think that's how you spell it), was excellent as the creepy boyfriend and Stockard Channing and Dianne Weist were perfect as the slightly eccentric aunts.

The story revolves mainly around two sisters who live in a small town with their aunts.

There is a curse upon the female's in the family that if any man falls in love with them he will die. And unfortunately that's what happens to Sally's husband early on in the film.

After moving back in with her aunts Sally's sister, Gillian, gets herself into trouble with her scary Bulgarian boyfriend and calls on her beloved sister for help.

The ensuing mishaps and blunders make for good viewing and are just a little scary but a lot of fun.

The girls find themselves trying to cover their tracks with little or no success and in the end the witch's have to put their faith and trust in the women of the town who, for many years have feared and wondered about them, in order to save Gillian's life.

Magic, mayhem and just a little murder are all thrown into the cauldron to make this an enjoyable warm fuzzy movie.

Well worth the money. Highly recommend it.

Sword Of Xanten [DVD] [2005]
Sword Of Xanten [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Benno Fürmann
Offered by Formats

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 22 May 2006
This review is from: Sword Of Xanten [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
The first i heard of this film was when it showed on television. I was intrigued by the adverts for it and sat down to watch with my family.

It was a wonderful film and kept me on the edge of my seat waiting to see if the wrong would be righted.

I wont go into detail lest i ruin the film for those who haven't seen it, but it is well worth buying.

At first i was disappointed with the ending because i am a happy-ever-after kind of person.

On reflection however, it was fitting and beautiful.

I have not bought this film yet, but plan on buying it soon and treasuring it.

Crime of Passion (Mills & Boon Special Releases)
Crime of Passion (Mills & Boon Special Releases)
by Lynne Graham

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% passion, 21 May 2006
This was the first mills and boon book i read as a young girl and it remains on a pedestal even today. No other romance novel has compared to the passionate story of Georgie and Rafael. This book has it all, love, hate, adoration and deceit.

Despite the lies of a jealous third party, the hero and the heroin manage to overcome the misunderstandings of the past and learn to trust in each other.

Of course the ride is bumpy getting there but worth it in the end.

Absolutely the best book i have ever read in this genre.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl [DVD] [2003]
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahoy me hearties!, 21 May 2006
This is an absolutely fantastic film. It is not too long because every minute is filled with exciting, funny, action.
Johnny Depp is at his best. Orlando Bloom proved a good co-star opposite Depp.
The only critisism i can give this film is that Kiera Knightly seems to think that pouting is en-vogue. Well, i am sorry to say it is not! It is just plain annoying. But the rest of the cast shadow the attention seeking trout pout with award winning performances.
I cannot wait for the next two films to come out.

Van Helsing (Two Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2004]
Van Helsing (Two Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 21 May 2006
An excellent movie with great special effects and story.

I was a little disappointed with what happened at the end but it made sense and didn't ruin the film.

I admit to jumping in places but then i am a wimp when it comes to scary movies, the slightest thing makes me jump.

All in all an enjoyable movie for all the family. Even my three year old daughter enjoyed it, perhaps a little young for such a movie but she took it off the dvd shelf and put it in the player herself when i was out of the room. Unlike me she thought the scary parts were funny.

P.S. Hugh Jackman is always worth watching.

The Flame and the Flower
The Flame and the Flower
by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars utter rubbish, 21 May 2006
Okay, i have to say that i only bought this book because of the bad reviews it got, not the good ones. Why? You might well ask.
Well, i just couldn't believe that a book could be THAT bad. The Flame and the Flower, however, put me in my place.
I was glad other reviewers had warned of the rape scene for if i had unwittingly stumbled upon it unawares it would have really annoyed me.
Never, under any circumstances, should rape be used in a romance novel between the heroin and the hero. Perhaps as a subplot and only when handled with the up most care and attention to fact. But in this novel it was simply thrown in, the subject abused and misplaced.
How any woman could write such a "story" is beyond me. And how we the readers are supposed to believe that the heroin suddenly fell in love with the monster of a "hero", and i use this term very lightly, frankly is an insult to our imagination.
No woman would want a man like that anywhere near her. And if such a man were sleeping next to me i would be inclined to take a pair of scissors and....well, perhaps our imaginations would be put to better use thinking of the possibilities.
The only reason i would recommend reading, not buying, this book, is so that a lesson can be learned in how not to write properly, how not to convey a truly heart warming romance story, and how to repel any reader from going anywhere near another book "written" by this "author", and i use that term very lightly also.
The reviewers who have raved about this book leave me just as baffled by the thing itself, what planet are we living on here? A romance novel this is not. It is too long, too involved and complicated for all the wrong reasons. How did a story that started out as a supposed romance turn into a murder mystery that was so easily solvable it was another insult to the imagination, i don't even want to figure out. Perhaps the "author" got bored of her own story as well and tried to liven things up a bit, well it failed miserably.
If you want a lesson in everything that can be bad in a book, then check this out of the library, but for goodness sake DO NOT spend any of your hard earned cash on it.
Well, there is my million cents worth. Take heed!
P.S. Can't figure out how to change the star rating but obviously based on the review I do not rate this five stars. I would not give it one if I could.

Forrest Gump [DVD] [1994] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Forrest Gump [DVD] [1994] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 21 May 2006
This movie is nothing short of amazing.

I watched it when it first came out and i was twelve years old and it made me think about life in a whole different light.

Tom Hanks turned in an award winning performance and the story of Forest Gump's life touched right to the heart.

The things he saw, through the eyes of the most innocent and genuine man that could ever exist, and the things he experienced were truly amazing and captivating.

I forgot about time whilst caught up in this film and felt all warm and fuzzy when if finished.

Pease buy this film and treasue it, it is one of the best movies ever made and stories ever told. It may be some time, if ever, we the public, are treated to such a deserving movie worth our time and money. unlike most movies these days that are void of any story and interest, Forest Gump is bursting at the seems with humour, sadness (a simple fact of life) and 100% talent.

Buy it, keep it, and watch it over and over again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2008 10:28 PM GMT

Big Fish [DVD] [2004]
Big Fish [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Ewan McGregor
Offered by gowingsstoreltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy classic, 21 May 2006
This review is from: Big Fish [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
When i bought Big Fish i had no idea what the film was about. It looked interesting and it was a Tim Burton which, for me, is immediately worth a look.

I have to say i was captivated by this tale of Edward Bloom's colourful life. When the movie ended my first thoughts were that this film is just plain "Lovely".

There was no blood and guts, guns, foul language, sex, lies, inuendo or any of the other elements that frequent most of the movies we a presented with these days. It was just simply wonderful to sit down and become enthralled in such a fantasy story and enjoy.

Like Edward's son, i think we are all in need of someone to pull us into a fantasy life in which the stresses of reality disappear. Where giants exist, and perfect towns are hidden away from the rest of society.

This movie is escapism with plenty of big names involved, albeit in small parts. I loved the beginning, middle and especially the ending which causes you to question the truth in what you have just been watching.

Tim Burton is a gifted story teller and movie maker. He deserves more credit for the work he has done and critics shoud lighten up and, like we all should once in a while, search for the Edward Bloom inside us all. A little fantasy goes a long way and when i am feeling a bit down or fed up with the world i escape into this movie and chill out.

Highly recommend it to anyone who suffers the daily hardships of life and fantasises about a happier way to live.

Charlie & The Chocolate Factory [DVD] [2005] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Charlie & The Chocolate Factory [DVD] [2005] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant modern version!, 21 May 2006
First of all i would like to say that this film is most definately a Tim Burton film. And that is a good thing. I have always loved the original version of CCF but as i got older i saw how different the "special effects" are from today. I had commented whilst watching the old version how good it would be to see a new, MODERN version and was very excited when i learnt that Tim Burton had done just that.

I watched it at the cinema, dragging my sceptical sister along with me. And we both loved it.

Being a Depp fan since forever, the movie already had my vote and i knew that, despite his reputation for being a bit quirky, he would have done a great job, as always.

I was not disappointed. Some people have said he behaves very weirdly in the movie, but if people cast their minds back to the original, Gene Wilder was not exactly "Normal". The singing on the boat scene freaked me out as a child and the images to go with it and the end where he shouts like a lunatic at Charlie for drinking the fizzy lifting drink was uncalled for aswell. Tim Burton put a modern, dark slant on the story, reflecting the book and the style of Roald dhal. Have people forgotten The Witches, The BFG, etc. Not all sugar coated sweetness.

I would highly recommend this movie to any Depp and or Burton fans, and anyone who is "OPEN MINDED" and would like to see a new modern, up to date version of a classic.

The Godfather
The Godfather
by Mario Puzo

5.0 out of 5 stars All time classic, 21 May 2006
This review is from: The Godfather (Paperback)
I, like so many others, had seen the movie several times before reading the book. I loved the movie, although certain things were changed to accomodate the sequel's, but then that's Hollywood.

There are differences between the book and the movie and it would not be fare to say which is better. The book is superbly written and moves along at an easy pace. It was interesting having already seen the movie to anticipate some of the scenes in the book, however there are a few surprises and some parts which could have actually been incorporated into the film.

I have read many Mario Puzo books and all keep me on the edge of my seat wanting to know what happens in the end but none so like "The Godfather".

An epic tale, a well written story, weather you have seen the movie or not i would recommend buying the book for a great Mafia story.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5