Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML
Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML
by Elisabeth Robson

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in every single way!, 12 Jan. 2011
First of all, this book follows the classical Head First design. For those who don't know how Head First books work, it's actually quite simple: they are not text-based, boring, unimaginative and, most importantly, they don't get you asleep.

By reading this book, I can finally understand how XHTML and CSS work. The combination of the two is a must and it's good to see that the writers will actually force you to not write anything in regards to presentation in the XHTML code. CSS is the only thing you'll use for presentation, XHTML is for structure. By doing so you'll write proper websites that follow the standards and you'll be able to upgrade to the newest versions of XHTML/HTML/CSS in no time. If only this book was read by most web designers nowadays...

This book is perfect for learning the basics. What I also learned is that the web is much more complicated than it looks. That's why I went ahead and ordered Head First Javascript and Head First PHP & mySQL. The web is dynamic, XHTML is static. I'm sure that by reading the books I mentioned above I'll be able to grasp most details (if not all) of designing proper websites.

This was the second Head First book I read. The first one I read was Head First Java and I'm glad to see that this book is of equal standing. I also have Head First C#, Javascript, PHP & mySQL waiting at home to be read. Next on: Algebra and Physics. Hail Head First books and their incredible formula for teaching!

Head First Java
Head First Java
by Kathy Sierra

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody Brilliant!, 12 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Head First Java (Paperback)
This is the first technical book I've ever bought and I was a bit unsure if I'd be able to teach myself Java without the aid of a lecturer, but as soon as I read the first few pages I was sure I'd be able to.

First of all, it's encouraging to see that new ways of teaching have emerged. The writers (and the whole team of course) know how to keep you interested using the latest studies in metacognition (thinking about thinking). It's what makes this book interesting. It's not dry. It's not boring. It's just like reading an interesting story with lots of stupid/nerdy jokes, but with the implementation of Java code always in mind.

As a reader, I came from a C++ background (beginner though) and I have to say that I could finally grasp concepts that I never really understood while studying C++. References, Stacks, Heaps: everything comes beautifully together with the writers' memorable graphs, stupid jokes etc. By reading this book, not only did I learn the Java language, but I also feel that I've learned much as a programmer in general (because every language has references, stacks, heaps etc).

A highly recommended book for anyone who wants to learn Java.

Hint: if you buy this book, you can register it at Oreilly's website and buy the book for the insignificant fee of $6. Quite useful if you have a tablet or an eBook reader etc.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2016 3:27 PM GMT