Profile for C. Shepherd > Reviews

Content by C. Shepherd

C. Shepherd

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
MoKo Microsoft Surface Pro 3 12 INCH Case - Slim-Fit Multi-angle Folio Cover Case for Microsoft Surface Pro 3 12 INCH Tablet, BLACK
Offered by BSCstore EU

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh god what have I bought, 12 Feb. 2015
First impressions was what have I bought seeing these claw things that hold the unit, which is my only negative as still not convinced if these will last the test of time.

However the case is great, I basically bought it as the surface pro 3 yep you can use it on your lap, but its a bit uncomfortable after a bit, the case does add bulk though it really works great on your lap using the grooves for different screen positions. the cover does not block the extra magnet of the keyboard, I can access to all ports and a pen holder to boot. The keyboard is a less bouncy on the lap as well. More than pleased so far, just the claws hence the 1 drop of the stars, though I am being picky.

LG NB4540A 320W 4.1 Channel Bluetooth Soundbar with Additional Wireless Subwoofer
Offered by Best AV Centre

4.0 out of 5 stars sleek, low profile, sounds great, loads of options, 17 Dec. 2014
I recently bought an LG 370v Tv which doesn't have bad sound to be fair, however was after something to just give it boost and for something the whole family could use, especially with a Bluetooth option. I basically went for this one as it would sync with the lg tv using the arc function or wireless function. Plus the low profile of the speaker fits nicely on the weird curved stand of the tv. The speaker also does not block the infra red of the tv like many other of the brands around.

Overall setup using the hdmi out arc feature works great and it controls the volume in conjunction with the tv, also the wireless mode achieves the same. Sky remote works in conjunction with wireless mode as well.

Sound is clear and crisp and for non audio people in my house hold its great. The blu tooth feature for our iPads is great and is becoming one its main uses.

However this is were it falls down slightly and a bit of a deal breaker with the wife. If you have the bar set on arc mode or wireless mode through the tv. After using the blu tooth function you have to go back into the tv settings menu to reactivate the arc or re-pair the bar to get the tv sound back.

I am assuming that if an optical cable connection you won't have this problem, as you can switch between that with function on the remote and bar. Though I suspect you don't have the tv control that you have with the arc or wireless mode.

I will have to get an optical cable to see. Unless I am doing something wrong, drop me a comment if I am.

Apart from that is a great match for the 42 inch tv, with its low profile and various input connections and options.

LG 42LB730V 42-inch Widescreen Full HD LED 3D Smart TV with webOS and Freeview HD

4.0 out of 5 stars ... loads of tv's over the years and its not easy selecting a new in todays market there is so ..., 17 Oct. 2014
Had loads of tv's over the years and its not easy selecting a new in todays market there is so many to choose and the prices are very competitive a lot of the budget sets are even pretty good. You can get stuck in a loop with them as well this ones picture is better than this one etc when really a good calibration of the settings can get a pretty decent picture that will suit most needs.

However what keeps me coming back to LG sets for my needs is they basically can play any file without the use of an app from my net work attached drive. This set plays them smoothly with no judder or dropping of frames.

The web os remote is good and does the job however I prefer the normal remote, old school me it does the job, nice to have the option of both remotes though out of the box. The app stores ok this is were LG could improve over its competitors as its a bit fiddly to setup an account however it has the basic apps for my needs, netflix, amazon.

The scrolling smart aspect is very good and gives quick access to your recently used smart features. As I have separate set top box I dont use the built in freeview, however picture quality is good, has all the functions you would expect from a tv guide etc, I wouldnt say its the best i have seen but does the job.

If you are looking for a new tv and are going be using the built in freeview functions only. I would go to the stores and research these first to see if these meet your needs as the manufactures tend to skip on these compared with a separate set top box e.g humax

3d element easy to use, does a pretty good job, 2 pairs of glasses in the box. the normal tv to 3d conversion is a bit hit and miss however I wont be using this. If I want to watch 3d i will be watching something that has been formatted correctly for 3d.

Sound I dont think its to bad and is better than my previous 5 year old set and has a bit more bass to it, its not going to blow your mind but does the job.

Overall pretty pleased with the set so far, it plays everything under the sun, and more than happy with the picture.

CLEAR mCover High Quality Hard Shell Case for 13-inch MacBook Pro (with 13.3-inch Retina Display) (NOT FIT Macbook Pro 13" A1278) (Top Macbook hard case seller in USA)
Offered by mCover UK

5.0 out of 5 stars The simple ideas are the best, 23 Feb. 2014
Concur with other reviews, forget its on, though wont want to take it on and off all the time, you could break the little tabs, however you shouldnt need to do that. Yet thumbs up

Philex Satellite A/B LNB Switch
Philex Satellite A/B LNB Switch
Offered by S&AS

5.0 out of 5 stars Great workaround, 8 Feb. 2014
Swift delivery thanks. My sat dish is to high to get at, got this as a work around in the meantime to connect another box.

One satelitte cable into tv connection
One cable into sky had box on connection A
One cable into other sat box or free sat connection b

I can now switch between boxes, with a bit of channel management and recording management on the sky hd box this works great.

Remember though this is not really practical if you want to use box boxes at the same time or recording 2 channels, as you will lose an functions on the box you dont have selected. There will be some channels you can watch on both channels at the same time as there on different freqs.

Though its better to use independently. The best option is to run extra cables, but does the job for now

D-Link DNS-327L ShareCenter+ 2 Bay Cloud Enclosure for Network Storage
D-Link DNS-327L ShareCenter+ 2 Bay Cloud Enclosure for Network Storage
Offered by Ballicom International

3.0 out of 5 stars It worked and did a job, 1 Feb. 2014
I first impressions a cheap plastic white box, fells like your going to break your drives when u put them in, you have little plastic handles that you screw on top, so you can pull them out again. Though it says u can hot swap drives, i would be very wary to do this all the time.

In the box Ethernet lead, plug, cd, instructions

Setup easy, warns you will format drive,

For a basic nas its fine, cloud access, tablet access, played media to my lg blu ray player fine no issues, its quiet. I am not sure on the way the drives a crammed in the box, with heat etc.

I have returned the item though, as for more me i had problems with permissions and could not get the FTP to work at at all as this was a main reason i had bought this as it was to replace my wd live book, which sat happily next to it FTPing all the way.

Maybe i had a faulty one or is a firmware update away as its new to market and at this time theres not much info about it.

So for if you looking for something to host your media to all your devices then yep it did a good job, its got loads of more advanced server things, but i found it annoying delving all though it with little documentation.

I have since bought a austor nas bit on whim as not heard of them, however would reccomend you have a look, a bit more pennies.

I would say this nas is a try product to see if it suits your needs, more than a yep buy it dont look back

Asustor AS-302T 2 Bay Desktop Network Attached Storage
Asustor AS-302T 2 Bay Desktop Network Attached Storage

5.0 out of 5 stars First impressions so far so good, 29 Jan. 2014
I have come from a wd livebook, which has served well providing me with FTP and media play back to my lg blu ray player. As i need more storage went with a dlink DNS 327l which on the front end worked, but had issues with the FTP that went back, then i noticed this range, and was going it hit the button on the basic model, however i noticed xbmc and plex, Hdmi and optional remote control as well that signed the deal.

This is lot more complicated than my livebook though at the same time its really easy, loads of guides, apps, easy hard drive access, the only minor thing its not quiet compared to my previous unit, but to be expected due to spec.

Xbmc is a bit of learning curve if you havent used it before, and it seems to be a full version as well, as you add skins, programs. Play back is smooth and faster than playback then my lg blu ray via the network.

Plex works great as well, have yet to test any mkv files.

FTP works fine, easy setup to get my dydns account up running no,problems

The way they are using this as an app server is a great idea, its really easy to use, however has all the hard core nas spec as well and a front end multimedia centre on your tv as well is an added bonus.

I have watched media and transferred data via FileZilla at the same time, no issues.

The only quirk have found at the moment and have not looked at it properly yet, is aspect ratio is on my sony tv,

I have ordered the remote as well, as app for remote control works well, the rest of the family dont want to be using an app

Would be nice if they got a netflix app, will have to try it through the chrome browser.

I am currently transferring ally my files mu wd live book, using the FTP explorer app on the nas and i am getting 11 mob per second nas to nas not to shabby

The more i using this the more i impressed i am from not a well known brand name they have done a really good job highly reccomend.

Kingston Technology MLW221 Mobilelite Wireless Reader
Kingston Technology MLW221 Mobilelite Wireless Reader
Offered by total digital stores

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for a traveller, 14 Jan. 2014
Great device, streamed to 2 kindles fire and ipad mini, all watching the same file. Does what i bought it for.

Cute Dragon 7-color Changing LED Night Light Decoration Chirstmas Gift
Cute Dragon 7-color Changing LED Night Light Decoration Chirstmas Gift

1.0 out of 5 stars Hippos disguised as dragons, 11 Dec. 2013
Firstly, came from, Singapore and these are not hippos, should have looked at picture more carefully. These are something you could pick up from a pound shop, i must had a few drinks when i ordered this.

Only positive, is that it works and came with the battery

Roku 2 XS 1080p Streaming Player
Roku 2 XS 1080p Streaming Player

5.0 out of 5 stars Roku or Apple TV latest version, 6 April 2013
Ok have both, which one and why I got the roku

If you are really entrenched in the life of Apple, then it's the Apple TV. I use mine for airplay from the iPads mainly and watching Internet podcasts.

Okay so why did I get roku. 2 reasons the kids and plex.

Kids Requirements

1. Tvs are not Hdmi,
2. Remote control, Bluetooth, easier to use, this enables to have the box hidden
3. Netflix though do get this on the apple as well.

My requirements

I have a pc with a plex server running that holds video media, as the roku has access to a plex client app that allows access to my media over the network. Rather than using an airplay function on the Apple TV.

I have yet to try attaching usb drive to it or sd card, as don't need these options at the moment. Over all pleased with it for my streaming requirements and plan to get another one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2013 7:23 PM BST