Profile for Don Org > Reviews

Love Your Lunchbox: 101 Do-ahead Recipes to Liven Up Lunchtime
Love Your Lunchbox: 101 Do-ahead Recipes to Liven Up Lunchtime
by James Ramsden

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving my lunchbox, 24 Jun 2014
This book achieves exactly what it sets out to do - revitalise the lunch experience and provide a whole host of great ideas and recipes to avoid that guilty, expensive and unrewarding sandwich from a chain café.

The noodle section is especially well laid out and offers a great range of recipes to add to the list. Given me lots of enjoyment and already saving me lots of wonga, and making me think more keenly about what I'm cooking/eating in general.

Bravo! Get a copy!

Vango
Vango

5.0 out of 5 stars A spellbinding adventure, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: Vango (Kindle Edition)
The story is woven is a like much-loved tapestry, taking the reader all over the world and back and forward through time. The narrative manages to be lyrical at the same time as having the intensity of a thriller, propelled by a sympathetic hero and a truly all-encompassing cast of characters. Another key aspect is the effortless translation that feels entirely natural - a wonderful achievement.

A great adventure awaits for readers young and old!

Small Adventures in Cooking (New Voices in Food)
Small Adventures in Cooking (New Voices in Food)
by James Ramsden

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant cook book..., 27 May 2011
This book was recommended by a friend who had come across James Ramsden on the blogosphere, and I made no hesitation in ordering my copy when I had discovered the premise of the book, namely to get people cooking more adventurously without spending more and without being made to attempt anything toooo challenging... I was keen to get out of the pasta/chicken kiev comfort zone, but not to take any quantum leaps into Heston-level gastromania, and this book seemed the ultimate stepping stone.

And though I have only been in possession of "Small Adventures In Cooking" for a couple of days, I feel I have already been on a diminutive and fun culinary Odyssey, steered by the author's reassuring, unpretentious tone... never before have I been made to feel so unintimidated by cooking something new or unknown, or dare I say it complex (well, the product is complex, while the process is not). Somehow recipes online can make even a pasta bake or a stew feel impossibly far-fetched, but there I was yesterday having a great time creating a coconut chicken noodle broth with chilli and ginger from about three instructions - and it was utterly delicious, something I was proud to place in front of my cooing flatmates.

I have delved further into the book and look forward to attempting some of the big sharing dishes this weekend - beef chilli tacos methinks. I am also keen to try out chutney-making, which in all honesty had never really occurred to me.

This is an excellent cookery book designed for people who might be mistrustful of cookbooks... it is simple, witty, and most importantly it has a clear message that every recipe would appear to deliver upon - that someone like me, who is interested in food but never really takes the initiative to do anything different or adventurous, can do so with the minimum of hassle.