Profile for xaphania > Reviews

Content by xaphania

xaphania "xaphania12" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Dear Rockstar (New Adult Romance)
Dear Rockstar (New Adult Romance)

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing take on the New Adult genre, 5 July 2013
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

4 stars.

Possible spoilers in the review!

This is a refreshing take on the New Adult/Rockstar genre, offering something a little different from the usual college-girl meets college-boy experience.

Dear Rockstar is the story of Sara, extreme fangirl of the very famous Tyler Vincent, and Dale Diamond, up-and-coming rockstar who happens to look exactly like the object of Sara's obsessions.

They're immediately drawn to one another and the book tells the story of their romance, Dale's journey towards becoming a fully-fledged rockstar and the secrets and lies each of them is hiding from the other.

I really enjoyed this. The late-80's setting made a nice change, although without the scattered references to George Michael, Rick Astley, MTV etc., I'm not sure I would have picked up on the decade because the characters felt very modern.

The story was good, although a little predictable; I worked out the twist with Tyler Vincent and Dale's parentage quite early on, likewise Sara's abuse (although there was one aspect that did come as a surprise). However, that didn't detract from my enjoyment of the book. I did feel that the 'reveals' were a little rushed and came too quickly, too close together right at the very end of the book with not much discussion or impact on the characters. But that was fine! Sometimes you don't want a story filled with drama and angst.

This was a light, fun read with enjoyable characters and a lovely HEA.

I'd definitely recommend for anyone who enjoys the New Adult genre with a dash of rockstar flair.

Eversea (Eversea #1)
Eversea (Eversea #1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved This, 12 Jun 2013
Loved this - loved the characters, the setting, the premise, the framing of the book with Jack's PoV only being given to us at the very end.

The book was written intelligently, the characters were believable and on the whole it was a great read.

I'm sort of wishing I had delayed reading it, however, so that I wouldn't have to wait so long until the next one is out!

Butterfly Weeds
Butterfly Weeds

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Butterfly Weeds (Kindle Edition)
I'm conflicted about this book. On the one hand, I quite enjoyed it - it had a decent story and characters, and the writing was good. On the other hand, I felt a disconnect from the romance and couldn't fully empathise with either Will or Julie.

In a way it read like a series of interconnected vignettes rather than a cohesive whole, though I understand that can be the nature of a book that spans several years.

Good, but nothing outstanding.

Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City Book 1)
Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delight, 12 Jun 2013
The subtitle of this book is 'A Smart Romance' - and it certainly is. An absolute delight to read in a market that can sometimes feel saturated with angsty, smutty, repetitive books, this was a breath of fresh air.

Neanderthal Seeks Human is quirky, sweet and funny with a great cast of characters and two leads that you'll really fall in love with.

I read it in the space of a few hours (a plus to long train journeys?) and enjoyed every minute. It was a long book but I found myself wanting more after I'd finished.

Real (Real 1)
Real (Real 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Gave Up on This, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Real (Real 1) (Kindle Edition)
I gave up on this - I was fed up of endless descriptions of the heroine's horniness every time she lays eyes on the hero. Could not get into it at all.

Troubles and Treats (Chocolate Lovers #3)
Troubles and Treats (Chocolate Lovers #3)

2.0 out of 5 stars Juvenile, 12 Jun 2013
The humour was too juvenile to be believable in a book about people in their mid-thirties. Enjoyed the first book in the series but it declined rapidly.

Sins and Needles: (The Artists Trilogy 1)
Sins and Needles: (The Artists Trilogy 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved Camden, 12 Jun 2013
This was a good solid read with great characters. I found the beginning section quite slow, and it took me a while to get into the book, but the pace picked up and I ended up enjoying it.

Flat-Out Love
Flat-Out Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Flat Out Loved, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Flat-Out Love (Kindle Edition)
I've had this downloaded on my kindle for a while now but only just got round to reading it. I have no idea why I put it off for so long, because this was a fantastic, five-star book. Or perhaps it's a good thing - because Flat Out Matt came out recently and now I can go straight onto that. Yay!

I guessed the twist quite early on in the book but knowing (or suspecting, I suppose, as there wasnt confirmation until near the end) didn't detract from the story whatsoever. It was a witty, funny, well-written and highly unusual novel - and I FLAT OUT loved it!

The Reckoning: (Book 2 of The Immortal Trilogy)
The Reckoning: (Book 2 of The Immortal Trilogy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sequel, 12 Jun 2013
I don't think disappointed is the right word for how I feel after finishing this book - I think perhaps my expectations were too high after how much I liked the first book in the series. This is a trilogy, and I think that this book feels very much like a bridge between the first and last; I'm assuming that the last book will conclude the story more satisfactorily.

For the majority of the book, I was waiting for something to happen. It felt like a lot of build up with not much payoff. The latter 30% or so of the book was the best part, everything else until then felt... meandering.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy the book, I did. I just expected more.

3.5 stars.

Playing For Keeps (A Neighbor From Hell Series Book 1)
Playing For Keeps (A Neighbor From Hell Series Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a Good Book, 12 Jun 2013
This was not a good book. The writing was very simplistic, and the characters were 30-year-olds acting like 5-year-olds. Pretty much nothing happened and everything the characters did was frustrating.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4