Profile for ja > Reviews

A Pocketful of Holes and Dreams
A Pocketful of Holes and Dreams
by Jeff Pearce

5.0 out of 5 stars A pocketful of Holes and Dreasm, 16 May 2011
I heard the radio 4 interview on this book and wanted to read it as it sounded like the author had such an interesting and eventful life. I was not dissappointed and enjoyed every line of it, even though at times I found it written from such an opptimistic viewpoint (despite desperate things happening). My only critism would be to say that it's OK to mope in self pity for a short time and recognise this is part of the healing process, then move on. I am very pleased that things are much happier for Jeff now and as he is certainly a survivor I am sure they will remain so one way or another. I do love the way he appreciates his family so much too - it takes a big man to realise he didn't do it ALL by himself and their support was so valuable to him. A great book I would read again.

The Present: The Gift That Makes You Happy And Successful At Work And In Life
The Present: The Gift That Makes You Happy And Successful At Work And In Life
by Spencer Johnson

4.0 out of 5 stars The Present, 16 May 2011
I wanted to read this book at a time of change in my life, and having already read Who Moved My Cheese - which was excellant, I sought more from the same author. This book was a useful reminder of living in the present, stop worrying about the future (although plan for it) and learn from the past. It is about focusing on the NOW which was useful, but when reading it I did think that was fine when you were just concentrating on a few projects at a time - with many on the go it is much harder to practice. But still a good short read which wasn't too heavy.