Profile for Steph > Reviews

Content by Steph

Steph

2014 Rayzor Professional UV400 Double Lensed Ski / SnowBoard Goggles, With a Matt Pink Camouflage Frame with an Anti Fog Coated, Vented Smoked Mirrored Anti-Glare Clarity Wide Vision Lens.
Offered by Sports Eyewear

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't fog easily, 25 May 2014
Used these for the whole of the season & compared to my goggles from the previous year, I had a lot fewer issue regarding steaming up. The goggles were comfy too. No problems for the entire 5 months.

Coal Creek
Coal Creek

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit too slow moving, 25 May 2014
This review is from: Coal Creek (Kindle Edition)
Coal Creek is a story told by Bobby Blue, an young Australian man living in the scrubs. After his father's death he begins working for the new police chief, Daniel Collins. The two men are very different, but Bobby feels a strong pull to his Daniel's young daughter, Irie which ultimately keeps him in the work he would have probably left otherwise. The book also focuses on his friendship with his best friend, Ben. Throughout the book, references are made to the a big event that changed the course of all of their lives, which of course is the climax to the story.
This book was far too slow off the mark for me, I'm afraid. It took what felt like three-quarters of the book for the tale to liven up a bit. That is not to say the book is bad, it's just not for me. I prefer a quicker pace and a bit less descriptive. This is my first Alex Miller novel, so I don't know if that is his usual style or not.

Bananagrams Game
Bananagrams Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Present, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Bananagrams Game (Toy)
Early Christmas present for friends. I already love this game, it's quite addictive! I bought it for others because it's great fun & easy to travel with.

Brother Kemal (Pi Kemal Kayankaya 5)
Brother Kemal (Pi Kemal Kayankaya 5)
by Jakob Arjouni

3.0 out of 5 stars A Quickie Crime Read, 8 Nov 2013
This was the first of the Kemal Kayankaya series that I have read. I enjoyed the book and read it easily within a few days.

The story follows Kayankaya, a private detective of Turkish decent, raised in Germany. The book touches on certain racial sensitivities, with both Kayankaya and other characters in the book. He is hired initially hired to return a wealthy womans's daughter who has ran off with an older Muslim man. Kayankaya also must protect a cocky, Muslim writer who has a controversial new book out. With plenty of complications thrown in, of course!

The book finished strong and at no point did I find it boring. I think the character often made foolish decisions, in the same vein of the woman running up the stairs in a horror film. The audience sit saying 'why would they do that?!' Which definitely brought a slight lack of credibility to the story. I would still like to read the other books in the series.

I was saddened to read of the author's sudden death, especially as at the end I felt that he had a following book in mind.

The Rosie Project
The Rosie Project
by Graeme Simsion

5.0 out of 5 stars More men should write 'Chick Lit', 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Rosie Project (Hardcover)
I couldn't put down this unusual romance book. Don works at an Australian university and is a man that loves routine, order and effective time management. So when he decides to settle down and find a wife, he doesn't want any time wasters. And hence, The Wife Project is born. A questionnaire specifically designed to leave him with a woman that meets his requirements of the perfect wife. But when Rosie bursts into his life with the challenge of finding her father, it's only a matter of time before he's doubting his ideals.
The book is written from the perspective of Don, and never does it read as sleazy, chauvinistic or false. In fact, he is nothing but endearing! Dating mishaps, social etiquette blunders and a cock sure mentor give the book plenty of comic injections. It was lovely to read a romance coming from the man's point of view. A refreshing change

Two Evils
Two Evils
by P. J. Tracy

3.0 out of 5 stars Less chit chat, more crime fighting, please, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Two Evils (Hardcover)
Two Evils is the 6th book in the Grace McBride series for mother/daughter writing team PJ Tracy. It starts with numerous, seemingly unrelated crimes; a murderous cancer patient, kidnapped girls, and an assassination attempt on a boat, that are all exposed as intertwined through the work of Grace, her team at Monkeewrench & Detective Magozzi.

The book seemed to start quite quickly, but then it took a while for all the dots to connect and for the pace to get back to it's initial speed again. The final showdown seemed a bit vague, possibly even rushed when compared to some of the more drawn out, pointless conversations between the main characters, for example, what kind of coffee teenagers drink these days.

It is the first book of PJ Tracy's that I've read, and even though the plot itself wasn't bad, it just didn't hit the right crime fiction note for me. Where others may find the day-to-day dialogue between the characters endearing, I found them to be stiff and awkward page fillers. Maybe not having read the previous books has contributed to this as I certainly don't have that familiarity with Grace & co. I would try another PJ Tracy book for comparison in the future, but I won't be rushing to the bookshop to do so.

The Girl You Left Behind
The Girl You Left Behind
by Jojo Moyes

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 17 Oct 2012
The Girl You Left Behind tells the story of both Sophie and Liv, separated by 90 years but joined through the ownership of a painting. This moving novel tells of Sophie's struggles during World War I, occupied France. How she would do anything for the safety of her community and to be reunited with her husband, Edouard. Back in the modern day, we are thrust into the life of widow, Liv and her fight to keep everything she knows and also new love.

Moyes does a great job of intertwining the lives of these two women and slowly drip feeds you nuggets of the puzzle. I especially enjoyed reading Sophie's part in the book and she really was the character that gives the story it's strength and it's heart. The research and the detail that Moyes has put into this really helps the story come alive.

This was the first Jojo Moyes book that I've read and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Island of Bones
Island of Bones
by Imogen Robertson

4.0 out of 5 stars A new twist on the crime genre, 20 Jun 2012
This review is from: Island of Bones (Paperback)
This was the first book of the Westerman/Crowther series that I have read. At first I was unsure how the setting of 1783 would work and had preconceived ideas that it could be a little boring, but I was pleasantly surprised and really appreciated the research that the author had put into the book.
It was also nice to read a good old 'who dunnit' again, rather than have high tech gadgets and forensics take the fun out of the guess work of which character is the murderer. Admittedly, I did put my finger on the culprit pretty quickly, it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the story and the unravelling of each clue.
One criticism, I did think the book started slow but after the first 150 pages the paced quickened.
I would definitely read more titles by Imogen Robertson.

'Danger Evil Genius at Work' - MugsnKisses Range - Each Mug Includes Free Chocolate Kiss! - Office Tea Coffee Gift Mug
Offered by Treat Republic

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Birthday Present..., 16 Mar 2012
I bought this for my brother as a gift to take to his new job and he loved it. Good quality and fast delivery

LeapFrog Letters with Lulu!
LeapFrog Letters with Lulu!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Well Received!, 10 Jan 2011
I bought this for a friends 6 month old and he loves Lulu! He is fascinated by the toy and loves the songs. As mentioned on a previous comment, the velcro doesnt really fasten very well at the back (otherwise I would have rated it as 5*)