Profile for T. Cooper > Reviews

Content by T. Cooper

T. Cooper (UK)

atFoliX FX-Antireflex screen-protector for Wacom INTUOS5 touch Large (2 pack) - Anti-reflective screen protection!
Offered by @FoliX GmbH
Price: 33.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect by any means., 22 Oct 2013
The film is 15mm narrower than the Intuos5 Large. Although it can be said to be covering the 'working area' of the tablet, having it stop short of the full width of the stylus area looks odd.

Claims to be anti-static film, though peeling off the outer layers creates an enormous amount of static and no matter how I tried, I could not apply without getting tiny specks under the film. These specks, even though small, prevent areas of the film from adhering properly and leaving what look like trapped air-bubbles. I tried peeling back the film and removing the specks with sticky tape by dabbing the specks, but the longer I had the film peeled back the more I ran the risk of attracting and trapping more particles, so I gave-up and just placed the film as it was, dust and all.

Although you can wash the sticky surface with water and re-apply, leaving the film exposed while waiting to dry surely runs the risk of trapping dust again, so that is why I just accepted the flaws. At least my tablet surface is now protected from wear and tear, even if it now looks less attractive due to the trapped dust and the film stopping shy of the full width.

JavaScript: The Definitive Guide (Definitive Guides)
JavaScript: The Definitive Guide (Definitive Guides)
by David Flanagan
Price: 22.75

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive guide!, 4 July 2013
This truly is the definitive guide! I highly recommend this book to both beginners wanting to grasp the basics and veterans alike who want a comprehensive reference to hand. As an advisory note, for anyone who is beginning JavaScript, they may want to also grab a dummies style book on JavaScript, especially if you find dry and extensive reference material hard to follow. Personally, I love this style of reference. Beginners guides quickly become redundant and end up collecting dust. Books like this will always be valuable.

When I purchase a programming reference book I want to dive straight in and start learning immediately. I don't want to spend good money and many hours reading about useless exercises written in a cringe-worthy, esoterically 'humorous', laid-back style. There are no jokes in this book. Just the facts. Is doesn't waste time trying to win friends. It just tells it how it is.

With over 1000 pages, this book not only has everything you'll ever need to know about JavaScript, it also has very informative sections on the new HTML5 elements like <canvas> & <audio>, and CSS.