Profile for mickjc > Reviews

Content by mickjc

mickjc "mick" (Northampton UK)

OnePlus 2 Case, Spigen® [Rugged Capsule] Resilient [Black] Rugged Armor Ultimate protection and rugged design with matte finish for OnePlus 2 (2015) - Black (SGP11767)
Offered by Keep in Case

Solar Power Energy Green Grasshopper Insect Bug Locust
Solar Power Energy Green Grasshopper Insect Bug Locust

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 27 Feb. 2014
What a load of rubbish.
I think it's supposed to vibrate in sunlight according to the dodgy instructions. That's why I bout it anyway.
It does nothing.
A rip-off.

WorldTree solar power Insect Bug Locust Grasshopper kids animal toys
WorldTree solar power Insect Bug Locust Grasshopper kids animal toys
Offered by EverydayItems

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 27 Feb. 2014
What a load of rubbish. I think it's supposed to vibrate according the dodgy instructions.
It does nothing.
A rip-off.

ESYNiC 2.4GHz RF Mini Fly Mouse Qwerty Keyboard Combo - Gyro Sensing Mouse & - Multimedia Remote Control for PC PS3 Xbox Android TV Box HTPC
Offered by eSynic

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bit of kit - rubbish instructions, 5 Feb. 2014
This unit is small and easy to use. However, it did take me a while to get the hang of it and how to hold it for best effect. It took me a while because the instructions in the box are an extremely poor attempt at converting Chinese to English - it is a an insult to include such garbage called "operating manual". Hence the four stars instead of five. Once worked out the unit points accurately by aiming it at the screen or wherever. Your thumb hits the two mouse buttons comfortably. It's great on a HTPC set up with easy to access volume controls and the keyboard. I contacted the seller who sent me a much more understandable set of instructions, but I had worked it all out by then. Good bit of kit.

The Nameless War (The Nameless War Trilogy Book 1)
The Nameless War (The Nameless War Trilogy Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars A difficult read, 12 Dec. 2011
I think Ed Barret voice recorded this story and then gave it to a classroom of kids of mixed abilities to write, one by one, into a book; sometimes it's okay, sometime it's barely readable as if the less adept in the class have struggled with language, punctuation, word order and the unforgiveable apostrophe's errors'.

Having said that, the book is an excellent read; it's exciting and keeps interest going. It's a great story and I will be getting the remaining books as they get thrown together. Pity about the 5 star story suffering because of the 1 star writing...

Castle Vroman (A Galaxy Unknown Book 6)
Castle Vroman (A Galaxy Unknown Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep them coming, 25 Feb. 2011
I have read all the preceeding books in a matter of days: I can't put them down. Each one gets better!

Now I have come to a halt because I have caught up with the writer. Come on Thomas DePrima: Pull your finger out!!!

Milor! (A Galaxy Unknown Book 5)
Milor! (A Galaxy Unknown Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sustained good reading, 22 Feb. 2011
While perusing reviews on others in this series I came across one person's 2 star observations criticising Book One for a lack of sophistication, or for being insufficiently multifaceted (multidimesional?). Well, I'm just about to start the sixth in the series and have to say that yes; the stories do tend to run along a single path, they don't dive about in time or space too much and (horrors!) sometimes the outcomes can be anticipated. The lead character is sometimes a bit too good to be true - but she is nice and she keeps me thoroughly entertained...

I don't really care if it's not a complex plot - I can read Ian Banks for that - I am just happy to sit down with a relaxing SF book, several books in fact, that are damn good stories and that keep one (well me at least) absorbed from start to finish. Thomas DePrima has in own style that is different and appealing; I have every confidence that Book 6 will be as good as the previous five. Please keep them coming.

A Galaxy Unknown: (A Galaxy Unknown, Book 1)
A Galaxy Unknown: (A Galaxy Unknown, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't put it down..., 19 Feb. 2011
I'm now on the fourth book of this series; I have read each one almost non-stop and each is totally engrossing. Brilliant stuff!

Mr Thomas DePrima (if you are a Mr) please don't stop writing.

Epson Stylus SX515W High-Speed All-in-One Printer with Individual Inks and Wi-Fi

3.0 out of 5 stars Epson SX515W - it's kind of okay but not great..., 28 May 2010
I bought this printer in December 2009 for a new Win 7 PC and set to following the installation instructions with some enthusiasm. I assumed this would be a formality as I have had computers since 1976 and used just about every operating system going. I did get it installed of course, but it was not plane sailing. My first mistake was to follow the instructions and install all the bundled software. As a few other reviewers have commented it is not very Windows 7 friendly with the network setup application crashing as soon as it is operated and the printer driver not working.

In the end I uninstalled all the software, downloaded the Win 7 drivers from the Epson UK site and installed them. I set up the wireless connection through the printer. The printer immediately found my network SSID and I entered the password. I then went back to the PC and used the excellent Windows 7 printer set up procedure, waited a minute while it installed, pressed the Print Test Page and out came the page. The scanner software has to be installed off the disk, but this works okay and set up the scanner straight away. I repeated the installation on a Win7 laptop, a Vista PC and XP netbook in the same way and all connected wirelessly immediately. My recomendations therefore would be to the installation disk at your own risk and only for the scanner.

Three months later the printer started printing faint blue bands across the pages. I stuck with it because I assumed it was due to a cartridge problem. I eventiually fitted new cartridges and the problem gradually worsened until the blue print stopped completely, followed by the yellow. I called Epson - at my own expense as they charge for the calls - and eventually they agreed to replace the printer, but I had to pay £10 courier costs. This was a hassle as I had to remove the new printer from its box and replace the old one in its place when it arrived. Not very professional.

The replacement was installed very quickly because I knew how to do it, Overall, I'm not impressed by the build quality - it's very plasticky, print quality is good while it lasts - I'm hoping for a bit longer with the replacement. Wireless connectivity is not difficult and performs faultlessly when set up.

Epson returns system works okay (at best) but why do they charge you for their product failings? All in all - fairly average.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2010 12:44 AM BST

3Com OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 11G (54Mbps) Firewall Router Modem with 4 port switch

4.0 out of 5 stars 3Com router/modem observations, 20 Dec. 2005
It's always the same: you do your research, order the goods and then read the less than reassuring reviews. So it was with some trepidation that I set about configuring the device, wondering what I'd let myself in for after reading the stories of no range.
I have just moved house and thought wireless would be ideal because of the location of the phone socket and the "office". In the other place I had a Linksys ethernet cable router with ntl - very fast and reliable it was too.
Anyway, we have two PCs that require networking, both fitted with Linksys 54g high speed adapters. With this lot I assumed we'd be smokin'. The system was easy to set up, taking about 1 hour with all the firewall configuration. There were no probs - in fact it was very straightforward for my first attempt at wireless. I did upgrade the firmware before starting, however.
It connects on boot to the ISP where the (temporary) standard ISP issue modem required a dial up. The 1Meg internet works as well as hardwired and I am behind two walls, but only 4 meters from the modem. The only difference is PC to PC file transfer on the LAN, which takes place at 1 Mbyte/sec instead of the accustomed ethernet 7 or 8. (That's despite the adapters' "Speedbooster technology").
It's a bit slow (have I done something wrong?), but I can live with that, though; on the whole, it does what it says on the box and I am happy.