Profile for Sydney > Reviews

Sydney (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, but a suggestion, 30 Oct 2013
This is an excellent, well made, good-looking planter. The water resevoir kept my herbs happy all summer with minimal effort.

Just a caveat/suggestion for the winter months-- noticed my plants starting to droop and die in the last month, and realised that they were sitting with their roots completely waterlogged of course, because of the cold wet weather. Poured out a ton of water from the resevoir and have now drilled a couple of holes in the lower sides and made some plugs for them out of Sugru. This way there is drainage in the winter but ample water for the summer. I'd suggest a ready-made overflow plug would be a nice improvement on this aready great planter.

4 Pairs of Mens or Womens Medium Merino Wool Walking Hiking Socks (Women's: 4-8 Men's: 3-7)
Offered by CRAIGIE ON LINE
Price: 17.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Proper Hiking Socks, 26 Oct 2012
The photos (only on the page for the large size) do not do these socks justice, they are very soft, thick, and well fitted around the arch. Comprable to hiking socks I've bought at three times the price. Bought another set the day after they arrived! Bargain.

UK MADE ORGANIC BUCKWHEAT PILLOW,FULL BED SIZE,2.6 KILO
UK MADE ORGANIC BUCKWHEAT PILLOW,FULL BED SIZE,2.6 KILO
Offered by Perfect Pillow
Price: 27.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 22 Jun 2012
I was a bit dubious the first night at is a big change from a normal pillow and I have a dodgy neck.. but two weeks on and I am very very happy, superior to memory foam for my neck at least.

High Quality Stereo Ear-Canal Headphones - Silver
High Quality Stereo Ear-Canal Headphones - Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 4 July 2007
Not worth the high-street price of 40 but definitely worth paying half that on the internet.

People who complain about 'tinny' sound: try really wedging them into your ears, as far as you can get them-- they are meant to work like earplugs. When I first put them in I just had them perched on my ear, and the sound was indeed terrible.. but I changed to the smaller earbuds included in the packet and stuck them in firmly and now I know what the good reviews are about!

You'll never get amazing sound out of earbuds, but for a noise-blocking, portable solution these are great-- they would be excellent on an airplane.

Impro for Storytellers: Theatresports and the Art of Making Things Happen
Impro for Storytellers: Theatresports and the Art of Making Things Happen
by Keith Johnstone
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Useful, 5 Sep 2006
This is quite a large book, pretty much entirely made up of a wide variety of games for actors with vivid examples of what students come up with under pressure, and thorough explanations of the goal of each excercise. It's extremely well written and just as good as something to sit down and read, as something to get up and play with.

The games range from easy to very hard; many would make excellent fun warm-ups to introduce non-actors to basic acting theory and to interacting with an audience. What makes this book unusual for an acting text is the emphasis on story, and the highly audience-centric approach to performance.

I would seriously recommend this book to writers, screenwriters, and story artists. The ultimate goal for Johnstone is to teach his improvisers to hook the audience and keep them hooked by altering tactics, reversing, raising the stakes, setting up expectations. Throughout, his unexpected cry of "Be obvious! Don't be creative!" keeps the story being invented on an engaging emotional level.

I bought this because I'm teaching a class involving some acting, but found so many exciting ideas for plotting I want to send a copy to everyone I know in story. First rate.

A Little History of the World (Deckle Edge)
A Little History of the World (Deckle Edge)
by Ernst Gombrich
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars For all ages, 17 Aug 2006
I read this to see if it would be a suitable present for some friend's children, and wound up keeping it myself! You'd have to be one whiz at history not to learn a great deal from this book, it was great to have so many names that rang a vague bell finally put in context in such a concise and entertaining way. An excellent read, and one of the best-presented books in terms of binding and typography I've seen in a while.

The reviewer below who worried about the 'unrestrained paean to Marxism' clearly didn't read Gombrich's thoughtful and honest afterword, where he reviews his own opinions from over 50 years back and concludes that he was mistaken about the Soviet Union (to which he only devotes literally five lines which are not particularily opinionated) and too hard on industrialization. He also corrects his younger self on his orignal, parochial view of the Treaty of Versailles. I honour his candour in keeping the original lines in. In any case the idea that this book, with or without the afterword, is propaganda for ANY ideology is frankly absurd, and I would hate to see any reasonable person avoid the "Little History" from that mistaken impression.

Of course anyone will quarrel with the presentation of parts of history on which have an opinion-- personally I think he was rather too hard on Elizabeth I and rather too easy on the Chinese empire and the Aztecs! But that's the consequence of Gombrich's vivid storybook style, I think, and the fact that he has to deal with very complex situations in a couple of lines. I was especially impressed with the steady grace with which he handles potentially explosive religious issues. On the whole I don't think any but the most committed idealogue, left or right, would have a serious issue with their children reading this book. His view of history is probably best summed up with this:

"Now let's take a last look at these people dressed in skins, as they paddle their boats made of hollowed-out tree turnks towards their villages of huts... Do you think much has changed since then? Ther were people just like us. Often unkind to one another. Often cruel and deceitful. Sadly, so are we. But even then a mother might sacrifice her life for her child and friends might die for each other. And how could it be otherwise?"

Now to pick up another copy for those kids...

Treat Your Own Neck
Treat Your Own Neck
by Robin McKenzie

5.0 out of 5 stars Yep, it works., 25 July 2006
This review is from: Treat Your Own Neck (Paperback)
I waited about three months before reviewing this book, because I wanted to give the excercises time to pass or fail. Result: clear pass.

From an old injury and long hours of computing and poor posture, I've spent YEARS enduring neck pain that went from chronic and bearable, to unpredicatable bouts of incapacitating. I've done the chirporactic thing on and off and the problem always recurred. I was ready to try pretty much anything when I ordered this book.

There's nothing instantaneous or mystical here, but three months later and there's a very clear reduction in the frequency and intensity of the chronic pain, and my neck hasn't 'gone out' in the whole time, despite things like 10-hour flights and 70-hour weeks.

The excercizes are logical, simple, and not time-consuming. You could probably get them all onto a couple of sheets of paper but you might as well just buy the book (I got the version with both the back and neck excercises, just in case...). Here's hoping another several months of this kind of progress and I need never deal with this 'pain in the neck' again!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2012 11:02 AM BST

Painting with Light
Painting with Light
by John Alton

4.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating!, 25 May 2004
This review is from: Painting with Light (Paperback)
Although the technical end is obviously about fifty years out of date, this is still a rewarding read for anyone interested in film lighting. For one thing, you'll never look at a film from the 30's and 40's again without the satisfying feeling of being able to recognize a clothing light in action. On a practical level, it's still got a lot of tips worth thinking about for the amateur or even professional filmmaker. The simpicity of the equipment might even be a bonus for those just learning, or shooting on a limited budget. Certainly I've never seen a technical lighting book this clear, practical, and real-world.
My favorite thing about this book though is the extra chapter on Lighting for Ladies. Now this is a guy who LOVES light and is out to do his bit to beautify the world. So naturally, he includes an appendix on how any women who happen to be reading, can use Hollywood lighting tricks to enhance their appearance. I swear I'm this close to rearranging my office so that the daylight can hit me just so... although I don't know if I'm ready to go around my flat with a mirror before a date, so I can figure out the optimal place to sit on the sofa!

A Practical Guide to Digital Design: Designing With Your Computer Made Easy!
A Practical Guide to Digital Design: Designing With Your Computer Made Easy!
by Pina Lewandowsky

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific self-guided course in design, 25 May 2004
This a first-rate, extremely in-depth and professional introduction to the principles of graphic design. It looks compact but is absolutely packed with excercises, information, and beautiful little graphics. The examples are all very modern-looking but timeless as well, it should satify those looking to try their hand at anything from an edgy grungy look, to a clean classic one.
I'm with the other reviewer, anyone interested in graphic design, who is looking to do a self-guided course, should start with this book. I'm a fine artist looking to diversify my skills, I browsed through dozens and dozens of design books without thinking much of any of them as a PRACTICAL guide-- the slick good-looking ones lacking meat, and the "design for dummies" ones not exactly inspring confidence. This book is both gorgeously put together and incredibly useful. Best of all it also works as a good tutorial on graphics programs such as Freehand, by the time I'd got through the first section of excercises I had a pretty good grasp of the program!
Don't be mislead by the dopey subtitle, "Designing with your computer made easy!", which makes it sound like a shallow paint-by-numbers type guide; this is a very in depth course which will take some time and commitment but will more than reward the effort. And only ten quid!

Painter 8
Painter 8

4.0 out of 5 stars One of a kind, 30 Dec 2003
This review is from: Painter 8 (CD-ROM)
If you convince yourself you really NEED a paint simulator, you'll be very happy with this one. I don't use it to create whole pieces myself; but for an illustrator looking to do invisible touch-ups on scanned work it's really irreplacable by any existing product. You can seamlessly rework substantial bits of pencil or charcoal pieces, or put in respectable-looking pastel or watercolour washes over rough drawings for some quite nifty fast effects. There's enough small annoyances to make a complementary copy of Photoshop a good idea (such as-- you can't reverse an entire image, you have to do it layer by layer, and then they don't line up... aaaargh!).
For the price, it's an excellent toy for the amateur, and an invaluable tool for the professional. No regrets here. It also doesn't make you choose between your Mac and PC, for which I'm very grateful. 4 out of 5, but just because I'm a perfectionist.

Page: 1 | 2