Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

House of the Scorpion
House of the Scorpion
by Nancy Farmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully surprising!, 17 April 2003
This review is from: House of the Scorpion (Paperback)
The main thing that gripped me about this book was the way that you could never tell what was coming next! There are so many twists and things you just weren't expecting. Also the hero, Matt, is described so perfectly. As he is a clone he is despised by all the people that he meets and his emotions are therefore in turmoil for most of the book. These are described in an eerily real way - it's as if you are experiencing themselves or as if you really truly care about Matt's well-being. I was nearly in tears at one point! Anyway I also love the intergrations of spanish into the speech of the characters, such as 'mi vida' which Celia calls Matt. This book has so much texture and the different landscapes that Matt visits means that the future world is described fully and richly. This book has been at my side for a week, hardly ever being put down except when i'm working, and I'll really miss it now. Read this book... it may sound kinda wierd but it is sooooo real!

Sabriel
Sabriel
by Garth Nix

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely absorbing book, 6 Mar. 2003
This review is from: Sabriel (Hardcover)
I absolutely adored Sabriel and there aren't that many books that I would rate this highly. I truly believe that this was a book of pure genius and took an extremely creative mind to write. The story tells of a girl named Sabriel who lives on the border of a land called Ancelstierre. Across the border is the Old Kingdom where modern technology ceases to wor and where she, herself was born and raised until she was sent away because the land was becoming too dangerous.
Sabriel finds herself going into the Old Kingdom as her father disappears and she fears the worst. In the Old Kingdom she must face terrifying foes - and they are properly scary, which is very rare in books! The way the author builds suspense in this part is unnervingly clever.
I would suggest this book to most people unless you are against matters of necromancy. Personally I am against these things, as a Christian, but if you realise that it is just a story then I found I recovered from it soon enough when I found how realistic Nix had made the Old Kingdom and how thrilling the story-line was.
Please read this book - you'll be hooked until the end and, like me, will wait in anticipation for the sequel.

Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, Book One)
Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, Book One)
by Lian Hearn

4.0 out of 5 stars A tale of pure fantasy but perfectly real, 5 Mar. 2003
I enjoyed this book a lot and it certainly invokes a lot feelings - fear, anger, suprise and even shock at some of the more 'adult' subjects broached in some of the love scenes. However these are tactfully apporached and are never overly-explicit and doesn't include any details that parents of over-13's should worry about.
The book's written in a beautiful way that transports the reader to the world of the Otori and the author's love for the orient is certainly clear from these descriptions!
The reason why I dropped the book one star was that at some points I felt disappointed by the actions of Takeo (the book's main character) and I found it difficult to identify with him and really understand his thoughts and feelings.This is one of the aspects that I believe is lacking in the book and soemthing that I believe is vital for a book to achieve.
However you can easily overlook this, although it tainted the whole story for me, as the plot is ingeniously woven and there are some wonderful twists and heart-wrenching tragedies. Be prepared! I would definately recommend this book although there are others in this genre that I enjoyed far more.

Slaves of the Mastery (Wind on Fire)
Slaves of the Mastery (Wind on Fire)
by William Nicholson

5.0 out of 5 stars The bes in this trilogy, 5 Mar. 2003
I thoroughly enjoyed this book out of the three in the trilogy. I think that the ideas in it and the seperate roles that the different characters take on help to develop them and gives the reader a very clear idea of each personality.
Slaves Of The Mastery follows the Manth family as they are captured from their city aloung with the other citizens and driven off by the army from the Mastery. The idea of slavery is a very powerful one and it draws all the characters togetehr in this difficult situation.
The way in which this story is written is very powerful and the tragedies and injustices suffered by the captured people are described perfectly. Bowman and Kestrel the heroes in these trilogies - work perfectly together and give such a depth to the story that makes it truly enjoyable.
This book is definately worth the read but it is ESSENTIAL to have read the Windsinger first, though a synopsis of the story so far is provided.

The Ropemaker (PB)
The Ropemaker (PB)
by Peter Dickinson

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling tale in a world filled with magic and danger, 5 Mar. 2003
This review is from: The Ropemaker (PB) (Paperback)
This book has to be one of my ultimate favourites. It is set around the life of a girl called Tilja who grows up in a Valley secluded from the Empire that controls most of the outer world. In the Valley there is no magic except from the mysterious sickness that prevents men from entering the forest - through which the only access to the Empire outside can be obtained. However this sickness is failing and Tilja, her grouchy grandma and two other companions whose destiny is woven together with hers throught the magic protections on the Valley, must set off on a quest to find the one person who can restore the magic in the Old Forest.
This story keeps you literally spellbound throughout and the world is created so cleverly you believe and wish it to be real. In the Empire magic is banned and there are terrible punishments for those who break these rules, including the terrible but powerful magicians who guard the major cities. All these dangers must be overcome by our heroine who discovers a powerful secret about herself which was never apparent in the magic-less Valley.
Peter Dickinson uses clever twists and a gripping story-line to make the tale flow as easiyl as if it were real and throughout you grow to understand Tilja and the other characters.
This is truly a marvellous work of fiction, although the only regrets I have about it is the lack of depth into the Empire and the shortness of the book. BEWARE - you will be bitterly disappointed that there is no sequel! It is still definately worth the read however
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2011 9:14 PM BST

M!ssundaztood
M!ssundaztood
Offered by NetsavesUK

5.0 out of 5 stars The most rockin', inspiring, true albumn ever created..., 25 Feb. 2003
This review is from: M!ssundaztood (Audio CD)
When I heard the songs Get The Party Started and Don't Let Me Get Me I first considered buying the Pink albumn although a year before I would never have even thought of Pink as an artist I would listen to. But I had a spare bit of cash and so I bought it. I have not looked back once! Immediately it became my favourite albumn because it included so many excellent songs - every single one was as good as the last whereas on other albums I was used to one or two songs good enough to release but the rest mediocre. However this albumn had songs just crying out to be played at parties - Get This Party Started and M!ssundaztood - but also heart-renderingly true songs about life - Family Portrait and My Vietnam.
I loooooove this albumn soooo much and I'm sure that it'd appeal to most music tastes. I'd recommend this above all other albumns.

Weathered
Weathered

5.0 out of 5 stars A different type of rock, 13 Feb. 2003
This review is from: Weathered (Audio CD)
Although I was not going to just write a review raving abotu this album, I am going to do just that! I bought this a week ago and haven't been able to take it out of my CD player. It incorporates a whole range of styles - all sung perfectly by Scott Stapp. I know some people may criticise the song Lullaby for being too different to the other songs but in my opinion it is a gorgeous display of the band's vocal talent and a song you can just fall asleep to - not what some people expect from Creed I know! There are plenty of other heart-felt, banging guitar riffs in other tracks though that are do not drown out the powerful lyrics beneath them. All in all I think this is one of the most inspiring albums of its genre and well worth adding to your collection.